GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 03:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Retaking after 5+ years. Hoping for >750, Last 3 weeks of Study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
Retaking after 5+ years. Hoping for >750, Last 3 weeks of Study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 07:13
Starting this for my own discipline and as something to look back on if the test doesn't go the way that I hope. I first sat the GMAT 5 years ago and scored 750 (Q50, V41). I will be looking to score at least the same and hopefully higher this time around but I know that will be tough. From how I experienced it previously I estimate that my scores probably have a 20ish+- variation around what my ability is so I know that nothing is guaranteed no matter how well I have prepared.

I have been studying a couple of weeks now and I am using Manhattan books, GMAT Q, V & official guides along with the GMAT Club tests & question banks. I feel that Manhattan tests & GMAT Club tests have far harder Q questions than the real thing but they are good for practicing concepts. I only use official guide questions for verbal as I think the harder verbal questions in non-official material can often be misleading, confusing and sometimes not even correct.

So far I have taken the two free practice tests from the official website and scored 760 & 770 respectively. I am very cautious in considering them as a realistic indicator of my ability as I feel that subconsciously I remember some of the questions from my preparation 5 years ago. This week I will be taking practice exam 3 which I have never taken before. I feel like that will be the first true indicator on where I stand. If I can get 750+ on the 3rd practice test I will book the exam as soon as possible. Otherwise I will work on some week areas and go again with test 4 and so on.

In terms of Quant, I probably need to really deep dive into the 700+ questions and particularly Number Properties, Geometry and Statistics over the next couple of weeks.

For Verbal my strengths are definitely RC & CR. SC I have practiced more than anything else but I will usually get a couple of questions wrong, I got 46V (3 questions wrong, all SC) in my last practice test so I feel like I have made improvements but again I think that I might remembered some of the questions from 5 years ago.

My timetable for the next couple of weeks is what I have been doing for the couple of weeks prior to this and it seems to be something that I can manage.

5am-8.20am - Study
8-6.45 - Work
7-8.30 Gym
8.45 - Housework, some TV etc.
10- bed

I had been giving myself Sundays off to relax and allowing a few beers on Friday & Saturday nights but I thing for the next couple of weekends I will focus on studying about 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday and give up any drinking. I will try to log here how my study has gone and what I feel I still need to work on.

Tomorrow I will try to go into some hard Geometry and Statistic questions. I will also try to knock out 25 SC questions to keep it fresh in my mind.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Retaking after 5+ years. Hoping for >750, Last 3 weeks of Study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 11:10
Last couple of days I have managed to get a decent amount done. I have been working on refining statistics. Probably not 100% where I want to be on it yet. I will sit prep number 3 either tomorrow or Friday. I just want to review and improve on some geometry and work rate questions before I dive in. Verbal I am feeling very confident in but the real test will be when I go through my first blind mock.

Did a GMAT club quant test and got 48, again I think some of these questions are much harder than the actual exam so I am reasonably happy with that. It reaffirmed that there are certain areas that I am far more comfortable with than others so I think I have a pretty clear path on what I need to cover over the next couple of weeks to get my desired score.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Retaking after 5+ years. Hoping for >750, Last 3 weeks of Study  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 09:23
Did exam prep 3 mock this morning and got 780 Q51 V46. I am obviously happy with the result but I have 100% seen some of the questions before whether that was on here or somewhere else.

I got 2 questions wrong on the Quant portion, one of which I accidentally submitted the wrong answer by having clicked the wrong box so I am very happy with that. I still definitely need some work on Time/Rate/Work and to continue working on hard probability and geometry questions.

I got 3 questions wrong on verbal. 2 in RC which is surprising as usually all of my mistakes in verbal come from sentence correction. I will have to dig a bit deeper into the questions as I can see both my answer and the actual answer fitting at the moment which is a bit worrying as I wish it was just a stupid mistake that I could fix easily.

Time-wise I finished verbal with about 15 mins to spare and Quant I had 4 mins on the last question which I used all 4 as it was a little bit tricky so I wanted to be sure before I finished.

I know that I am scoring very well in these practice tests but i can't help feeling they are skewed to the top end of my range given that some of the questions seem familiar. I am also not 100% confident in a lot of my answers, there are a lot of questions where I think that I have the right answer rather than knowing it. My plan for the next couple of days is to go heavy on the areas of quant that I discussed previously for Friday and Saturday. I will also in some sentence correction and make sure I understand where I went wrong in RC.

I hope to take prep exam 4 on Sunday. Still holding off on booking the test until I am more confident that these are my true scores.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 09:09
I booked the exam for March 15th. Studying is going pretty well. I still think that there are a couple of weaknesses that I have to focus on over the next 10 days. I think by the time that I sit the exam I will be as prepared as I possibly can be for the verbal and prepared enough in the the quant to get a 51.

On Sunday did the Official Practice number 4. Again I got 770, this time Q51 V45. I finished the quant with about 20 mins to spare. I got 2 wrong through stupid mistakes. I am really hoping that those stupid mistakes don't happen during the actual exam given how focused I will be. Verbal I got 3 questions wrong, 2 CR & 1 RC, I think this is really me going for an answer without fully eliminating the other options, this may be a timing issue as I was kind of pressed in this section. Very happy to get all the SC correct.

Hopefully the next 10 days will look like the following. I have been getting up around 4am during the week and doing 3 hoursish of study so I will continue that. Weekend I will try to get 8 hours in.

Wednesday - 4 Hours in the Morning ( I have 263 Questions remaining in the OG Guide so aiming for 85 per day over the next three days this week)
Thursday - 4 Hours (OG Guide)
Friday - 4 Hours (OG Guide)

Saturday Morning - This is going to be my only 100% dry run using Official Practice test 5. I hope to replicate test day conditions as closely as possible.
Wake at 6am try to do a 20 min relatively light workout before, drive to my office (Similar distance to the test center), have a protein bar and a quarter can of red bull. Go through the OG and do 3 questions PS, DS, CR, RC & SC. I plan to do Verbal first as I sometimes struggle to focus on the RC section when I am tired. I will eat an apple and protein bar at the break along with another quarter of a red bull along with some water and go into the rest.
Saturday Afternoon - Review the past 5 mocks and OG questions ensuring I know exactly what I got wrong and why

Sunday Morning - Quant study - Focusing on Geometry, Stats & Time/Rate
Sunday Afternoon - Verbal - as much as I can

Monday - AWA - I have to go over it at some point, first time around I only went over it for an hour or two and got 6 so I am expecting the same
Tuesday - Practice Qs - as many as possible
Wednesday - Official Practice Number 6
Thursday (I will work from home and can probably get about 8 hours in) - Make sure I have all formulas 100% down and then whatever else I feel needs work
Friday - Test day repeat the prior Saturday but for real

At the moment I would say that my goal is 770. I understand that this will be tough and certainly require luck but, given my practice scores and how I feel prep has gone in general, I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't be disappointed with anything less than that.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 12:55
Had a disaster of a weekend. Went to do my second last mock on Saturday in the exact same format as my actual exam will be. I had a little bit of a sore throat but didn't think much of is. Completed the mock but really really struggled with Quant on the second half, felt like I had no focus. I got 770 only getting one question wrong in Verbal but 7 wrong in Quant. By Saturday night I pretty much knew that I had strep throat. Couldn't do any study on Sunday as my energy levels were gone. Couldn't go to the doctor until this morning who confirmed that I had strep and put me on antibiotics. Definitely a bit of a disaster as I will still be on antibiotics Friday when I sit the exam. I am now thinking of delaying taking the test for a week or so until I get over this. Pretty disappointing as this came out of nowhere. I will try to put in a few hours now and then tomorrow fully on whether I will delay or not.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retaking after 5+ years. Hoping for >750, Last 3 weeks of Study   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2019, 12:55

Retaking after 5+ years. Hoping for >750, Last 3 weeks of Study

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics