GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 15:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Retaking GMAT Question!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Retaking GMAT Question!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 04:16
Hi,

So I took the GMAT today and score a good score but I believe I can improve it by 20+ points. I am wondering if I can do the following -

- cancel today's score, take the exam again after 16+ days, see if i scored higher then than today and then decide which score to keep. If I score higher in the future, I will keep that score but if I score lower then I would like to reinstate today's score. Is that a possibility.

Or is it safer to just keep today's score and also have an additional attempt shown which is higher (if lower in the future, I will definitely cancel)

Thanks!
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member
Retaking GMAT Question!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 04:57
Hi akshatg92

Welcome to GMATClub

If your score is in the range of the schools you intend to apply to, there is no need of
canceling the score. There is nothing wrong with taking the exam for the second time.
As you have written, if you get a score lower than today's you can cancel the score in
the second attempt.

Another thing to note is that most B-Schools consider the best of your scores. In any
case, if you end up scoring higher than this attempt during your second attempt, you
will benefit.

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Retaking GMAT Question!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 04:58
akshatg92 wrote:
Hi,

So I took the GMAT today and score a good score but I believe I can improve it by 20+ points. I am wondering if I can do the following -

- cancel today's score, take the exam again after 16+ days, see if i scored higher then than today and then decide which score to keep. If I score higher in the future, I will keep that score but if I score lower then I would like to reinstate today's score. Is that a possibility.

Or is it safer to just keep today's score and also have an additional attempt shown which is higher (if lower in the future, I will definitely cancel)

Thanks!

Hi akshatg92,

If your score is decent enough then why would you want to cancel it. If the next score you get is lower than this then cancel that score for free right at the test centre. But if you get a better score then it is no issue having two attempts on your records. But if you want to be all very safe in this situation then you spend $25 to cancel and $50 to reinstate, that's it.

If you accepted your scores at the test center, you have the option to cancel your accepted score online up to 72 hours after the completion of your exam.

Yes, you may reinstate a previously canceled score for a fee ($50). Canceled scores can be reinstated up to four years and 11 months from the exam date. If a score is reinstated, the score report will be sent to the initial list of schools that you selected on test day. You cannot modify the list. You will, however, be able to be able to view the list of schools receiving your reinstated score prior to confirming the reinstatement.

reference:
https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat/after-th ... gmat-score

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 05:00
Ah ok thanks! I got a 740 (Q50, V41) but my GPA is below par so was hoping to get 760+ to compensate. I have been scoring 770+ on all the practice/mocks on various sites including official GMAT.

What would look better though in your opinion out of the following 2-
1 attempt of potentially 750/760+
2 attempts within a span of 4 weeks - 1 with 740 and 1 higher
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 05:40
akshatg92 wrote:
Ah ok thanks! I got a 740 (Q50, V41) but my GPA is below par so was hoping to get 760+ to compensate. I have been scoring 770+ on all the practice/mocks on various sites including official GMAT.

What would look better though in your opinion out of the following 2-
1 attempt of potentially 750/760+
2 attempts within a span of 4 weeks - 1 with 740 and 1 higher

I think you should just keep your score and give another attempt soon as you're in the right prep mode. So #2 is good. If you don't get 740+ then just cancel it.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 11:37
Hi akshatg92,

First off, a 740/Q50 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 97th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is not necessary. From your post, you're ultimately thinking in terms of Admissions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and application plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 17:29
Hi akshatg92!

Wow, a 740 is awesome. Congrats!

To answer your first question, yes, you can cancel that score and reinstate it later if necessary.

To answer your second question, honestly both options are great. It certainly won’t hurt for you to have a 740 on your record, so it may be easiest to just leave the score as is. You know what I mean?

Good luck with the retake, and feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Retaking GMAT Question!   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2018, 17:29

Retaking GMAT Question!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap