Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2074 [85]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64885 [16]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [14]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: IT Major
Schools:ISB - Co 2013
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V44
GPA: 2.5-3.0
WE 1: IT Professional since 2006
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.76
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Reviewing historical data, medical researchers in California found tha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
We have to strengthen the conclusion:
==> People in these counties stay indoors more and thus avoid exposure to the disease.
given that:
Counties with the largest number of television sets per capita have had the lowest incidence of a serious brain disease, mosquito-borne encephalitis.

Given that:
Linkage 1: Largest number of television sets --> Lowest incidence of a serious brain disease
Author has concluded that:
Linkage 2: Stay indoors --> Avoid exposure to disease
Here, we don't have connection between the television sets and staying indoors. Hence, any answer choice that can create a linkage between Linkage 1 and 2 will be the correct answer choice.

(A) Programs designed to control the size of disease-bearing mosquito populations have not affected the incidence of mosquito borne encephalitis.
Controlling the size of populations has no bearing on television sets being responsible for staying indoors. Irrelevant
(B) The occupations of county residents affect their risk of exposure to mosquito-borne encephalitis more than does television-watching.
This choice weakens the Linkage - 1. Opposite
(C) The incidence of mosquito-borne encephalitis in counties with the largest number of television sets per capita is likely to decrease even further.
So, incidence of disease is going to decrease because of other factors. Incorrect
(D) The more time people in a county spend outdoors, the greater their awareness of the dangers of mosquito-borne encephalitis.
If staying outside increase awareness, why stay indoors. Opposite
(E) The more television sets there are per capita in a county, the more time the average county resident spends watching television.
This choice establishes the link between television sets and staying indoors. The more time resident spends watching television, the more time they'll stay indoors. Correct
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 610 Q48 V25
Send PM
Reviewing historical data, medical researchers in California found tha [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Nihit wrote:
Reviewing historical data, medical researchers in California found that counties with the largest number of television sets per capita have had the lowest incidence of a serious brain disease, mosquito-borne encephalitis. The researchers have concluded that people in these counties stay indoors more and thus avoid exposure to the disease.

The researchers conclusion would be most strengthened if which of the following were true?

(A) Programs designed to control the size of disease-bearing mosquito populations have not affected the incidence of mosquito borne encephalitis.

(B) The occupations of county residents affect their risk of exposure to mosquito-borne encephalitis more than does television-watching.

(C) The incidence of mosquito-borne encephalitis in counties with the largest number of television sets per capita is likely to decrease even further.

(D) The more time people in a county spend outdoors, the greater their awareness of the dangers of mosquito-borne encephalitis.

(E) The more television sets there are per capita in a county, the more time the average county resident spends watching television.

Counties with largest number of tv sets per capita (say, 3 TVs per person) have lowest incidence of mosquito borne Ence.

Conclusion: People in these counties stay indoors more and thus avoid exposure to the disease.

There is a gap here. How does having more TVs lead to staying indoors more? Whether I have 1 TV or 3 TVs, I can watch only 1 at a time. Just because I have 3 for myself, would I watch TV for thrice the hours? No. I just want one in my living, one in my bedroom and one in my kitchen - just to ensure that when I want to watch, I cans it anywhere and watch. More TVs means more convenience but doesn't imply more TV watching hrs.

The smaller population of mosquitoes has no impact on incidence. This is irrelevant. We want to see how the "increase in the number of TVs per capita" impacts incidence.

This takes away some of the punch of the conclusion. That occupations affect risk of exposure more than TV. Does it make TV a stronger reason or staying indoors and avoiding mosquitoes? No. So not a strengthener.

Why would the incidence in these countries decrease even further? Is there another factor at play here in these countries because of which the incidence is continuing to decrease? We don't know. Not a strengthener.

This says that staying outdoors increase awareness. That would reduce incidence. This is opposite to what the conclusion is saying.

This tells us that more TVs actually does mean more TV watching hours. Well, then it makes sense that they stay more indoors and hence reduce the incidence of mosquito bites. It strengthens our conclusion.

Answer (E)

HI VeritasKarishma

I could cut down to option A and Option E for a final pick.
I agree that option E is a better choice, but I feel Option A is also strengthing the conclusion to certain extent.
If we are saying that a certain cause has not lead to a particular effect, doesn't it strength the conclusion that Staying indoors has led to decrease in the diseases.
Basically what I am saying is they have eliminated a third cause.

Am I correct in my analysis?

Regards
Nitesh­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64885 [7]
Send PM
Reviewing historical data, medical researchers in California found tha [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nitesh50 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Nihit wrote:
Reviewing historical data, medical researchers in California found that counties with the largest number of television sets per capita have had the lowest incidence of a serious brain disease, mosquito-borne encephalitis. The researchers have concluded that people in these counties stay indoors more and thus avoid exposure to the disease.

The researchers conclusion would be most strengthened if which of the following were true?

Counties with largest number of tv sets per capita (say, 3 TVs per person) have lowest incidence of mosquito borne Ence.

Conclusion: People in these counties stay indoors more and thus avoid exposure to the disease.

There is a gap here. How does having more TVs lead to staying indoors more? Whether I have 1 TV or 3 TVs, I can watch only 1 at a time. Just because I have 3 for myself, would I watch TV for thrice the hours? No. I just want one in my living, one in my bedroom and one in my kitchen - just to ensure that when I want to watch, I cans it anywhere and watch. More TVs means more convenience but doesn't imply more TV watching hrs.

The smaller population of mosquitoes has no impact on incidence. This is irrelevant. We want to see how the "increase in the number of TVs per capita" impacts incidence.

This takes away some of the punch of the conclusion. That occupations affect risk of exposure more than TV. Does it make TV a stronger reason or staying indoors and avoiding mosquitoes? No. So not a strengthener.

Why would the incidence in these countries decrease even further? Is there another factor at play here in these countries because of which the incidence is continuing to decrease? We don't know. Not a strengthener.

This says that staying outdoors increase awareness. That would reduce incidence. This is opposite to what the conclusion is saying.

This tells us that more TVs actually does mean more TV watching hours. Well, then it makes sense that they stay more indoors and hence reduce the incidence of mosquito bites. It strengthens our conclusion.

Answer (E)

HI VeritasKarishma

I could cut down to option A and Option E for a final pick.
I agree that option E is a better choice, but I feel Option A is also strengthing the conclusion to certain extent.
If we are saying that a certain cause has not lead to a particular effect, doesn't it strength the conclusion that Staying indoors has led to decrease in the diseases.
Basically what I am saying is they have eliminated a third cause.

Am I correct in my analysis?

Regards
Nitesh

Nitesh, I understand what you are saying but note that our argument talks about "incidence rate in counties with more TVs" vs "incidence rate in counties with fewer TVs". Why is the incidence rate lower in counties with fewer TVs?

Option (A) talks about a program run (in particular counties or all counties, we don't know) to control mosquito population. We are also told that this program failed. Does this knowledge impact our argument at all? No. We want to find why the incidence is low in more TVs counties than in fewer TVs counties. Is it really because people spend more time watching TV indoors in these counties? Option (E) gives us this information.

In some cases, eliminating a cause could strengthen causality between two other elements. Think about it - if the outcome could be affected by a limited number of possible causes and you are flipping between two, removing one makes it more likely for the other to happen. But eliminating one factor in a situation that could be caused by many factors doesn't add much to the strength of another factor. What one needs to do in each case is a matter of judgement but in every GMAT question, it will be clear what is acceptable and what is not. There will be pressing reasons to accept/eliminate an option. If you feel a bit lost sometimes, try evaluating from the standpoint of a debate. You have your side to present. When the opponent presents a point, does it weaken your situation or not? Or when you present an additional point, does it strengthen your situation?­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64885 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Nihit wrote:

Answer (E)

Quote:
I chose ans A because it rules out the possibility of another cause to have the same effect. That is, program for reducing the number of mosquito population has also not reduced the attacks. Then, staying indoors only helped to avoid the disease.

Note that in our argument we are comparing the incidence of Ence in some specific counties (with max per capita no of TVs) to the incidence in other counties.
Option (A) talks about such programs in general. If they were implemented across counties and had no impact, it doesn't help in comparing A counties with B counties and establishing that more TVs is the cause of lower incidence of Ence in these counties. Hence, option (A) is irrelevant to our argument.
Even if we tried to implement the programs in only specific counties, it makes little sense to do it in those with the max per capita no of TVs. The option would not be very sensible in that case.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Reviewing historical data, medical researchers in California found tha [#permalink]
Isnt option B the better choice here as it suggests that the more people stay in watching TV, the lower is the rate of exposure to mosquitoes so the chances of them contracting diseases are lower?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM