It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Right time to start R2 Apps? Prepping Recommenders?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Right time to start R2 Apps? Prepping Recommenders? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 17:52
For those that didn't intend to apply in R2, but are waiting on R1 interview invites which may not come, is it time to start R2 apps for more schools and hedge your bets? Obviously researching schools, writing essays, and getting recommendations will take time and with R2 deadlines not long after R1 decisions, what are peoples' thoughts on this?

My biggest concern is going back to recommenders now to ask them to provide additional recommendations to entirely different schools. Anyone have experience with this and how did they communicate their intent to the recommenders? While I am sure they will be helpful with an understanding that you were not accepted to any programs, waiting until R1 decisions are released will give them less time to do the recommendations.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Right time to start R2 Apps? Prepping Recommenders? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 11:41
Hi there,

As far as your own applications, essays, and school research are concerned, I strongly recommend you approach Round 2 as if Round 1 weren't even in play. As you know from your Round 1 experience, telling your story, crafting the perfect essays, getting to know programs inside and out (info sessions, visits, conversations with current students and alumni, etc.), and communicating all of that in your applications is a very involved process. If you wait too long, your applications will suffer and your Round 2 chances will be compromised.

The last thing adcoms want is to receive Round 2 applications for which the applicant likely applied elsewhere (i.e., to the schools they *really prefer*) in Round 1. And then after not getting any good Round 1 news, they cobbled together some Round 2 applications in the final weeks. That is a recipe for disappointment in both rounds, and you'll want to avoid that.

From a logistical standpoint, not knowing final outcomes until mid-December effectively prevents you from waiting to start your Round 2 applications until the very end. You can always *stop* working on applications if you get great news in mid-December, but you can't make up that lost time if you wait to start. I know that can feel like a daunting task after just completing the Round 1 applications, but I encourage you to take a break for a week or so if you need it, then re-gather your momentum and give Round 2 your best shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have a little more flexibility with recommenders. As a first step, I would definitely explain the situation to them and give them advance notice on the schools, the questions, and what might be required of them. The recommendations are generally similar enough that they shouldn't have too heavy a lift to submit the Round 2 recommendations, but you do start to run into the holiday season at that time, so you have to manage that risk.

With that mind, the rest depends on your relationship with the recommenders, how much trust you have in their ability to get this done in the last two weeks of December and first few days of January, and the number of schools to which they'll need to submit. If you have a great relationship with them, they're very diligent, and it's only a couple of schools, then you can probably wait to give them the green light (though in all cases you should discuss this plan in detail with them in advance).

But if there's more distance between you and them, you're not sure whether they'd fall off the map during the holidays, and/or it's many schools, then it's likely safer to have them go ahead and get them done no matter what. You don't want to leave anything to chance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Right time to start R2 Apps? Prepping Recommenders?   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 11:41

Right time to start R2 Apps? Prepping Recommenders?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap