GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 00:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerab

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 03:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:06) correct 43% (01:24) wrong based on 126 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, like where people live and how they build.

(A) Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, like where people live and how they build.

(B) Risks are affected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, like where people live and how they build.

(C) Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.

(D) Risks are affected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.

(E) Risks are affected by human actions which increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.95
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 06:02
Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, like where people live and how they build.

(A) Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, like where people live and how they build.
="effect" is noun ; "Affect" is verb ... examples are give n by "Such as" ...(hese examples are given to name some human actions which increase or decrease ...)

(B) Risks are affected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, like where people live and how they build.
=
(C) Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.
=
(D) Risks are affected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.

(E) Risks are affected by human actions which increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.
= "which" needs a comma beofre it
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerab  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2019, 08:07
Bunuel wrote:

1. "Affect" is usually a verb, and it means to impact or change.

The tornado affected citizens within forty miles of Topeka

2. "Affect" as a noun means feeling, emotion, or specific emotional response.

The patient had a flat affect throughout the therapy session.

3. "Effect" is usually a noun, an effect is the result of a change.

The effect of the tornado was devastating.

4. "Effect" as a verb means to bring about. It usually shows up with nouns like “change” or “solutions.”

The protesters wanted to effect change in the corrupt government.

"Like" is a preposition and must be followed by a "noun or noun phrase" only

"Such as" is used to show examples.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 01:57
What is the difference in the usage of 'which' and 'that' ?
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 02:52
Raj30 wrote:

"That" creates a restrictive clause, a clause that can't be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence.

My bike that is white has a punctured tire.

Means I may have other bike, but the bike that is white has a punctured tire, others may not

My bike, which is grey, has a problem.

If we remove "which clause" , even then the meaning is clear.

My bike has a problem. Here we can remove "which clause" without changing the meaning.

We provide a comma before "which" but not before "that".

But "which" is not preceded by a comma when used after a preposition.

The bus in which I travelled got punctured.

Here "In" is a preposition so we don't use comma before which, because if we remove "which" the sentence will not make sense

Hope this helps.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 03:22
Hello There!

I have one doubt here.

You said "That" is used for restrictive clause. Absolutely correct.

But when you say that "which" is used for non-restrictive clause. That's I think not true at all.
Lets see an example here.

I like the car which has six cylinder engine manufactured by Ford.

Here I which is acting as restrictive modifier. Now if I omit bold part from above sentence, "I like the car" doesn't make sense completely.
Where I am wrong here.
Why E is incorrect here.
AkshdeepS wrote:
Raj30 wrote:

"That" creates a restrictive clause, a clause that can't be removed without changing the meaning of the sentence.

Means I may have other bike, but the bike that is white has a punctured tire, others may not

My bike has a problem. Here we can remove "which clause" without changing the meaning.

Here "In" is a preposition so we don't use comma before which, because if we remove "which" the sentence will not make sense

Hope this helps.
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 03:37
gvij2017 wrote:
Hello There!

I have one doubt here.

But when you say that "which" is used for non-restrictive clause. That's I think not true at all.

Here I which is acting as restrictive modifier. Now if I omit bold part from above sentence, "I like the car" doesn't make sense completely.
Where I am wrong here.
Why E is incorrect here.
AkshdeepS wrote:
Raj30 wrote:

Hope this helps.

Hi,

The rules are very specific to GMAT only. GMAT will not use "which" in the sentence you mentioed above
GMAC is very specific about rules that may seem awkward to others.
You have to learn the rules as GMAC wants you to learn and implement. Also, it will not be helpful to read non official material while preparing for GMAT VERBAL.
Another difference to which/ that rule may be due to difference between USA and UK English language. So learn exactly the way GMAC likes as this is the only way to score high on GMAT sentence correction

VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 11:09
gvij2017 wrote:
Hello There!

I have one doubt here.

Where I am wrong here.
Why E is incorrect here.
AkshdeepS wrote:
Raj30 wrote:

Hope this helps.

This question may help you buddy. I have attached an E-gmat pdf that may help you to clarify more.
Attachments

Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun.pdf [769.35 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

To download please login or register as a user

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2019, 03:14
Bunuel wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

D. Risks are affected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerability, such as where people live and how they build.

This sentence requires you to choose between affect and effect. The sentence uses the word as a verb, so you need to pick an option with affect rather than effect. Choices (A) and (C) can’t be right. You can also eliminate Choice (B) because it uses like to mean “for example.” The better option is “such as,” which leaves you with Choices (D) and (E). Choice (E) switches that to which, but which introduces nonessential clauses and therefore should be preceded by a comma. The descriptive clause is essential, so that is the proper pronoun and Choice (D) is the answer.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerab   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2019, 03:14

Risks are effected by human actions that increase or decrease vulnerab

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap