GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Steps to a 5 Star Recommendation

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    Nov. 14, 9 AM PST. Donna Bauman, Senior MBA Admissions Counselor and Lisa Cummings, MBA Admissions Counselor at Stratus have read tens of THOUSANDS of MBA recommendations during their time on top MBA admissions committees.
  • MBA Interview Prep: How to Ace Your Interviews

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    Learn the steps you need to take to ace your interviews and get accepted!

Ross PT or Kellogg PT?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 18:50
Hello,

I have been have been admitted to 2 great part time programs. Now I need to decide which one to pick. I currently reside in the Metro Detroit area so going to Ross would be very easy in terms of transportation as it is only 40 mins away. Chicago on the other hand is 4-5 hours away. Ross is a lock step program that is finished in 2 years. Kellogg's traditional pace could take 2.5-5 years depending on how many classes I take (couldn't take more than two per quarter considering they only have 2 class times on Saturdays). I am trying to see if they will let me in the Accelerated Pace. Kellogg's commute would suck unless I found a new job in the Chicago area. Has anyone on this forum done this? Could they please comment on this if they have? One might think this is a simple decision considering my current location but I don't find it easy to just switch Ross due to convenience, considering the strength of the Kellogg brand and network.

Goal is to switch to consulting (strategy) internationally, I want to go work in the Middle East or South Asia. I have 3 years of Purchasing experience + 2 years of Corporate Finance. All in Industrial/Manufacturing. I can work in the US but I want to gain some international experience plus I have family ties in South Asia.

I guess the question is would either of these programs help me land a role in consulting? Or do I have to sort of give up on that and potentially re apply and only target FT programs?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.
Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2015
Posts: 238
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 21:28
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on PT programs. I'm speaking from my knowledge of applying to both these schools and subsequently interviewing with them.

When I read the first part of your post I was convinced Ross makes more sense for logistic reasons. But later when you mention that you wish to work internationally and that too in Asia region I would say Kellogg is a clear winner here. I'm myself based in Singapore and I did heavy research comparing the brand values of these two schools in Asia region (I wish to move back to Asia in long-term). Kellogg is much stronger compared to Ross.

I really don't know how the PT schedule works. But my suggestion would be to look for jobs in Chicago area close to Kellogg. If in next few weeks/month you get a job or at least get some positive leads then choose Kellogg. If you feel switching your job won't be possible in next 6-12 months then consider your other personal commitments. Can you spare 4-5 hours every week for travel? If yes, choose Kellogg, if No, choose Ross.

On the topic of applying to FT I would say, talk to some PT students in both these schools. If you believe you can achieve your career goals with a PT program, go for PT, else wait for next year and apply FT. Reason is simple, if you wait another year for FT, that means you'll graduate in 2020 with a FT MBA (assuming you get an admit in FT program). If you start PT in 2017, that way too you'll graduate in 2020 with your MBA :-D . Either way you'll graduate in 2020 :lol: Isn't the choice obvious here?

Again, I'm not an expert. My comments are based on my understanding of two schools and some bit of logical thinking.

Does it help?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1526
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 21:31
zainmamood1 wrote:
Hello,

I have been have been admitted to 2 great part time programs. Now I need to decide which one to pick. I currently reside in the Metro Detroit area so going to Ross would be very easy in terms of transportation as it is only 40 mins away. Chicago on the other hand is 4-5 hours away. Ross is a lock step program that is finished in 2 years. Kellogg's traditional pace could take 2.5-5 years depending on how many classes I take (couldn't take more than two per quarter considering they only have 2 class times on Saturdays). I am trying to see if they will let me in the Accelerated Pace. Kellogg's commute would suck unless I found a new job in the Chicago area. Has anyone on this forum done this? Could they please comment on this if they have? One might think this is a simple decision considering my current location but I don't find it easy to just switch Ross due to convenience, considering the strength of the Kellogg brand and network.

Goal is to switch to consulting (strategy) internationally, I want to go work in the Middle East or South Asia. I have 3 years of Purchasing experience + 2 years of Corporate Finance. All in Industrial/Manufacturing. I can work in the US but I want to gain some international experience plus I have family ties in South Asia.

I guess the question is would either of these programs help me land a role in consulting? Or do I have to sort of give up on that and potentially re apply and only target FT programs?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.


Rather than give you my comprehensive assessment of the the two programs, what I recommend that you do is contact career services for each school and get specific information about MBB recruitment statistics from the part-time program. And, maybe also EY, Deloitte, Booz if you are not locked into MBB (however this is a good litmus test for brand power.)

That is where to start and *just do that* first. Put everything else to the side - this is the most important thing. If you can accomplish the goal with a part-time program, you can work backwards from there but it drives me crazy when applicants just cross their fingers and hope what they are doing (expensive, difficult thing) will work.
If a marketing manager took this approach, they would be sacked straight away.
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Current Student
User avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2015
Posts: 238
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 22:07
Well said :thumbup:

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
That is where to start and *just do that* first. Put everything else to the side - this is the most important thing. If you can accomplish the goal with a part-time program, you can work backwards from there but it drives me crazy when applicants just cross their fingers and hope what they are doing (expensive, difficult thing) will work.
If a marketing manager took this approach, they would be sacked straight away.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 18:48
Agree with the statements above talk to some students, recruiters, and school admin. Kellogg PT students are able to secure FT offers at top mgmt, in their final year they interview for the same roles as the FT students. I think the big differentiator here will be the international reputation otherwise Ross would be way more convenient. So you will need to reconcile what is most important to you. Kellogg will provide the most career value it seems
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 18:59
Thank you for responses. I agree Kellogg is definitely the bigger name but the issue I foresee is that in order to successfully complete a career switch I will need to be heavily involved. If I am in Detroit when companies come to present in Chicago, I will most likely miss company presentations and chances to network. I will only be in Chicago once a week to attend classes so I feel like I would be at a disadvantage there.

I know Kellogg is a bigger name but am I missing something here? Ross is a well known name as well (FT Top 15 and PT top 10 Program). Similar companies come to recruit at both schools. Ross is a 2 year lockstep program with opportunities to recruit with FT students as well.

I have reached out to the admissions office for student and career services contacts. Let's see what they have to say.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 19:13
Ross is a great program and does particularly well in consulting particularly in the states, you referenced working internationally which is where the Kellogg brand really separates itself. Now if you are considering Kellogg you would probably need to sort out whether you would move to chicago as well that would make your life a whole lot easier. You are taking the right steps and current students/alums/career services should get you all the info needed to make the right decision.
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 19:36
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Ross is a great program and does particularly well in consulting particularly in the states, you referenced working internationally which is where the Kellogg brand really separates itself. Now if you are considering Kellogg you would probably need to sort out whether you would move to chicago as well that would make your life a whole lot easier. You are taking the right steps and current students/alums/career services should get you all the info needed to make the right decision.


Let me throw another scenario in the mix. I am still waiting to hear back from Georgetown FT. If I get in, then what would you recommend? GT has a great international presence and has an International Business Experience (similar to Ross' MAP) which provides international consulting experience. I don't want to get ahead of myself but it could be an option depending on their decision.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2017, 13:46
Do you want to go to school FT or PT? I'm getting some mixed messages here. Did you apply to other FT programs as well?
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 28
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 16:59
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Do you want to go to school FT or PT? I'm getting some mixed messages here. Did you apply to other FT programs as well?


Well I always wanted to go FT but I also want to graduate from the best program possible. I only applied to GT FT but before I could hear back from them I heard back from the other schools. I know that GT does not have the same pull as Ross and Kellogg do in the consulting world but it has a good international presence. If I had gotten my GMAT score sooner, I might have applied to more FT programs but here we are.

I have been a lot of research on Kellogg and Ross and I honestly can't seem to figure out why Kellogg is ranked higher than Ross from a PT perspective. From an experience perspective, Ross offers a cohort system which fosters networking, a much higher level than a traditional weekend program where you might take classes with completely new people each quarter. Ross has a mandatory MAP program which provides real world consulting experience, this is not required at Kellogg. Is there something I'm missing here? Are people ranking Kellogg higher only because of the name? Most of the companies that come to Kellogg also come to Ross. If i'm not wrong, all all consulting firms visit Ross.

I owe my deposit to Ross and Kellogg has been extremely slow in getting back to me with any student contacts and since Kellogg doesn't post any post MBA employment statistics, I am no closer to figuring out how the PT MBAs are treated if they recruit on campus (Ross publishes PT employment statistics).

I really want to say yes to Kellogg but I'm struggling to find legitimate reasons besides the 'name'.... Can anyone offer any color on the points I made above?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2014
Posts: 49
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.72
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 18:10
zainmamood1 wrote:
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Do you want to go to school FT or PT? I'm getting some mixed messages here. Did you apply to other FT programs as well?


Well I always wanted to go FT but I also want to graduate from the best program possible. I only applied to GT FT but before I could hear back from them I heard back from the other schools. I know that GT does not have the same pull as Ross and Kellogg do in the consulting world but it has a good international presence. If I had gotten my GMAT score sooner, I might have applied to more FT programs but here we are.

I have been a lot of research on Kellogg and Ross and I honestly can't seem to figure out why Kellogg is ranked higher than Ross from a PT perspective. From an experience perspective, Ross offers a cohort system which fosters networking, a much higher level than a traditional weekend program where you might take classes with completely new people each quarter. Ross has a mandatory MAP program which provides real world consulting experience, this is not required at Kellogg. Is there something I'm missing here? Are people ranking Kellogg higher only because of the name? Most of the companies that come to Kellogg also come to Ross. If i'm not wrong, all all consulting firms visit Ross.

I owe my deposit to Ross and Kellogg has been extremely slow in getting back to me with any student contacts and since Kellogg doesn't post any post MBA employment statistics, I am no closer to figuring out how the PT MBAs are treated if they recruit on campus (Ross publishes PT employment statistics).

I really want to say yes to Kellogg but I'm struggling to find legitimate reasons besides the 'name'.... Can anyone offer any color on the points I made above?


I just finished the PT Saturday program in January. I had a friend who commuted in from Detroit too, and he was able to manage. It isn't great, but I think the long term value is worth the short term pain. PT students are able to go through recruiting in the fall, and there are consulting firms that meet with and host PT only events. I know of classmates that have recruited for MBB internationally this year too. It's all what you want to make out of it, and if you put in the work there is no reason going PT would eliminate you from consideration. I'm less knowledgeable about the international reputations, but if Kellogg is really that much stronger internationally it would make sense.

Also, if you're able to get into the AO option, the total time to finish would be 1.5 - 2 years if you do 2 classes per quarter. I finished in 18 months by adding in one of the study abroad trips. PM me if there's any other questions you have! Happy to help.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ross PT or Kellogg PT? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Mar 2017, 18:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ross PT or Kellogg PT?

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.