GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 08:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross vs. McCombs vs. Johnson vs. Tepper

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 35% [16]
  • 35% [16]
  • 28% [13]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
Ross vs. McCombs vs. Johnson vs. Tepper [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 09:53
Just got all my acceptances and I'm trying to figure out which will be the best for consulting. I come from a Government/Non-Profit background so scholarships do matter quite a bit to me. That being said, I know that Ross is the best for consulting out of the schools I've gotten into. Is it that much better than the others that it warrants me passing up the larger scholarships?

Thanks for all your help everyone!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 11:45
Hey AnthonyV don't know enough about the other schools besides Ross to feel I'd be able to meaningfully weigh in, but remembered reading this article a little while back in case it's helpful- https://poetsandquants.com/2017/04/10/d ... r-schools/. The second page has the percentage of the class that goes into consulting and average salary. Ross is somewhat higher for both, but the other three are pretty similar in terms of % and average salary. Unfortunately, they only give the breakdown of what firms people are going to for some of the top schools. You might see if you can find that info from the four schools directly, especially if you are thinking about firm prestige.

I think firm prestige, how debt/risk averse your are is potentially, and your ideal geographic flexibility is what it might come down to for this. Ross gives you a shot (although varying in likelihood) at MBB and likely sets you up for more options in terms of offices and geographical reach at other firms. Again know less about the other schools but have read from the boards the other schools have a few students end up in MBB (usually placing in regional offices) but it's a hustle and playing the odds even more. If you are not really big on MBB vs. firms like Deloitte I think the money becomes a big factor since for the latter firms you'll likely end up at a similar spot amongst the schools with less debt. Hopefully you can get your hands on numbers for the MBB firms at the different schools or someone else can weigh in with that kind of info, plus give a more informed opinion on ROI on Ross.

On the debt end- if you're not super debt/risk-averse the difference is about a decade's worth of the ~$10,000 difference in average consulting salary between Ross and the others and again help increase chances at MBB and even likely geographical reach with firms like Deloitte in terms of office placement. If you are debt/risk-averse I'd be leaning towards seeing if Tepper will match the McCombs/Johnson offers and then go based on fit/culture, geographical preference for after business school, etc.
SVP
SVP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Ross vs. McCombs vs. Johnson vs. Tepper [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 13:36
AnthonyV wrote:
Just got all my acceptances and I'm trying to figure out which will be the best for consulting. I come from a Government/Non-Profit background so scholarships do matter quite a bit to me. That being said, I know that Ross is the best for consulting out of the schools I've gotten into. Is it that much better than the others that it warrants me passing up the larger scholarships?

Congrats for all those schools.

there is another factor in play? Location. Do you want to live in TX? McCombs has great access to south offices of big consulting firms. Johnson has access to northeast with competition from other big schools. If you do not like those places, so it would be Ross but huge cost.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 15:01
AnthonyV wrote:

Congrats! Great results with admits! Not sure if you already tried, but does it make sense to approach Ross with a polite scholarship ask?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 10:22
Thanks for the replies and votes everyone! I'm pretty location agnostic post-MBA. I'm mostly concerned with where will get me the best Opportunity to Cost ratio. I'll definitely be asking Ross to see if they can reevaluate my candidacy for scholarships.

Other than that, it really is mostly about Consulting opportunity.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 14:14
Congrats Anthony, we actually met at one point during your application cycle and I'm happy that it turned out so well for you.
IMO, you can toss Tepper which means that you're down to McCombs, Johnson, and Ross.
After that, it's a dead heat in my mind, pick the school that you liked most.

Ross is the best consulting school that you have listed, but it is also the most expensive school you have listed.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 09:49
Things are shaking out similarly to what I expected with the poll. Why isn't Cornell getting as much love as McCombs and Ross though? I have those three in a dead heat.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jan 2018, 11:04
AnthonyV wrote:
Things are shaking out similarly to what I expected with the poll. Why isn't Cornell getting as much love as McCombs and Ross though? I have those three in a dead heat.

Take these polls with a grain of salt - who knows who clicks them :shocked
One theory - Cornell is ranked on par with McCombs and you have a greater scholarship amount from McCombs.... I am personally surprised McCombs is not getting further ahead. I guess it tells us that there is quite a wide range of value perceptions/opinions.

P.S. I feel Johnson has not had as much personality as McCombs lately. McCombs is regional to Texas but it is the top dog there, it is in Austin where Tech is - lots of things going for it. Johnson is Ivy League but i feel it gets lost in the noise of other east coast schools - they need to shake things up a bit. They have a lot of potential but seems they have been playing very cautiously.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Originally posted by bb on 12 Jan 2018, 11:01.
Last edited by bb on 12 Jan 2018, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
PS
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 12:28
bb wrote:
AnthonyV wrote:

One theory - Cornell is ranked on par with McCombs and you have a greater scholarship amount from McCombs.... I am personally surprised McCombs is not getting further ahead. I guess it tells us that there is quite a wide range of value perceptions/opinions.

P.S. I feel Johnson has not had as much personality as McCombs lately. McCombs is regional to Texas but it is the top dog there, it is in Austin where Tech is - lots of things going for it. Johnson is Ivy League but i feel it gets lost in the noise of other east coast schools - they need to shake things up a bit. They have a lot of potential but seems they have been playing very cautiously.

bb, as always, thanks for your input. I thought with the Cornell Tech MBA that the school was perceived to be shaking things up and on an upward trajectory? Just my thoughts. It does make sense that Cornell can get lost in the shuffle in the Northeast though. I'm having an extremely difficult time figuring all of it out.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 06:08
Recent Cornell alum here, the problem w/ Cornell Tech is the school is hyperfocused on it and the full time MBA program gets left behind....So, you don't have a very excited full time student base. What you have are students who are told that Cornell Tech will improve the overall school's brand, but doesn't directly help them right now (i.e. there are limited programs current students can take there).

AnthonyV wrote:
bb wrote:
AnthonyV wrote:

bb, as always, thanks for your input. I thought with the Cornell Tech MBA that the school was perceived to be shaking things up and on an upward trajectory? Just my thoughts. It does make sense that Cornell can get lost in the shuffle in the Northeast though. I'm having an extremely difficult time figuring all of it out.
Re: Ross vs. McCombs vs. Johnson vs. Tepper   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2018, 06:08

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, jessepinkman, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap