GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Oct 2017, 00:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:07) correct 23% (01:11) wrong based on 328 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol problem. So unless something is done about the alcohol problem at this university, I’ll have to transfer to a university where there are no fraternities.

Yolanda: I don’t agree that fraternities are responsible for the alcohol problem at this university. Alcohol problems exist at all universities, including those where there are no fraternities. We all should become more aware of alcohol abuse. It’s not simply a fraternity problem; it’s a cultural problem.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Sally’s argument depends?

(A) Most universities have fraternities.
(B) Nothing will be done about the alcohol problem at Sally’s university.
(C) Alcohol problems are becoming more widespread at universities.
(D) Some fraternity members who drink alcohol beverages are too young to do so legally.
(E) There could be universities that have no alcohol problems

Source: LSAT

Originally posted by vikasp99 on 19 Feb 2017, 02:57.
Last edited by broall on 05 Oct 2017, 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 16:09
Top Contributor
Sally's argument -

Alcohol problem --> cannot study

therefore,
if nothing is done to address the alcohol problem at this university --> transfer to a university without fraternities

In making this conclusion, she seems to be assuming that -
university without fraternities --> no alcohol problem

Let us look at the answer options --

Option A - Incorrect.
there is no such assumption made about the number of universities that have and that do not have fraternities.

Option B - Incorrect.
She specifically say "unless" something is done about the problem at her university, she will transfer. Hence, we are not sure whether something will be done to address the alcohol problem at her university.

Option C - Incorrect.
We have information about only one university. We cannot infer about others.

Option D - Incorrect.
the argument does not talk about legal issues.

Option E - Correct.
look at the assumption that we wrote -
university without fraternities --> no alcohol problem

If there were no such universities, her conclusion that she'll have to transfer to a university with no fraternities will collapse.

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 23:55
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 generis nightblade354

Is it required to consider Yolanda's conversation while attempting this Q?

Is below negation correct?

Quote:

There are no universities that have no alcohol problems. So Sally is basically day-dreaming
and conclusion ie - Fraternities cause alcohol issues - falls apart.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Re: Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 03:32
vikasp99 wrote:
Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol problem. So unless something is done about the alcohol problem at this university, I’ll have to transfer to a university where there are no fraternities.

Yolanda: I don’t agree that fraternities are responsible for the alcohol problem at this university. Alcohol problems exist at all universities, including those where there are no fraternities. We all should become more aware of alcohol abuse. It’s not simply a fraternity problem; it’s a cultural problem.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which Sally’s argument depends?

(A) Most universities have fraternities.
(B) Nothing will be done about the alcohol problem at Sally’s university.
(C) Alcohol problems are becoming more widespread at universities.
(D) Some fraternity members who drink alcohol beverages are too young to do so legally.

Source: LSAT

Question Type: Assumption

Sally's Premise: She cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol problem.

Sally's Conclusion: She will have to transfer to another university where there are no fraternities, unless her current university does something about the alcohol problem.

Argument Analysis: Sally will transfer to a university where there are no fraternities which means Sally either knows or assumes it for a fact that fraternities at her university have something to do with the alcohol problem at her university. Hence she will transfer to another university where there are no fraternities, assuming that No Fraternity = No alcohol problem, in turn implying that there could be universities with No alcohol problem.

Yolanda's Argument's Analysis : Yolanda, counter's Sally's argument by justifying that there is no relation between Alcohol problem & fraternities at a university. She states that "Alcohol problems exist at all universities, including those where there are no fraternities", hence there are actually no universities with No Alcohol problem & breaks Sally's assumption for No fraternity = No alcohol problem.

Answer is E. Yolanda's Argument gives us solid clues to Sally's assumption. Negation of E, is " There are no universities with no alcohol problems"

Although i think we don't need to analyse Yolanda's argument to arrive at Sally's assumption, since the answer choices are pretty simple.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 18:38
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 generis nightblade354

Is it required to consider Yolanda's conversation while attempting this Q?

Is below negation correct?

Quote:

There are no universities that have no alcohol problems. So Sally is basically day-dreaming
and conclusion ie - Fraternities cause alcohol issues - falls apart.

adkikani, you've got it!

Sally wants to transfer to a university where there are no fraternities to avoid alcohol problems. But if there are NO universities WITHOUT alcohol problems, she can never get what she wants. In other words, there will be no satisfactory university to which she can transfer. (Unrelated: this question is making me thirsty.)

You're also correct in realizing that Yolanda's argument does not impact the assumption. There are two questions about this passage in the LSAT PrepTest, and Yolanda's argument is relevant to the other question.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jul 2018, 18:38

Sally: I cannot study at a university where there is an alcohol proble

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap