Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Modifiersx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3460 [271]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [102]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [12]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19709 [5]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
nakib77 wrote:
In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities.

(A) flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities
(B) flat, and so elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary
(C) flatly, and so there was no necessity for elaborate closet facilities
(D) flat, there being no necessity for elaborate closet facilities
(E) flatly, as no elaborate closet facilities were necessary

SC74561.01

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/30/magazine/fashion-loose-translator.html

The long-range possibilities are staggering. Since most of the Japanese styles can be packed flatly, elaborate closet facilities could become unnecessary. And perhaps some day, a person will have to carry only a toothbrush and some books when visiting a friend for the weekend; the friend will have a supply of easily stored clothes for borrowing.

Official Explanation

Diction; Rhetorical construction

Although the word flat is a standard adjectival form, it functions in this context as the more appropriate adverb, indicating the manner of packing clothing. That is, stated correctly, the clothing would be packed flat.

Note, however, that the adverb flatly is correctly used in different contexts, such as he flatly denied it.

A. This choice incorrectly uses the adverb flatly. Furthermore, the phrase it was not necessary is unnecessarily wordy.

B. Correct. This choice correctly uses the adverb flat and implies that the flat-packing of clothing led to the absence of closet facilities.

C. This choice incorrectly uses the adverb flatly. Furthermore, there was no necessity for is unnecessarily wordy; it would be better stated were unnecessary, as in choice B.

D. This choice incorrectly implies that clothing could be packed flat because closet facilities were unnecessary. Rather, the correct answer must imply that the flat-packing of clothing made closet facilities unnecessary.

E. This choice incorrectly uses the adverb flatly. It also incorrectly implies that clothing could be packed flat because closet facilities were unnecessary.

The correct answer is B.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
nakib77 wrote:
In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that since in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flat elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “packed flatly”; the use of the adverb “flatly” incorrectly implies that in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a flat manner; the intended meaning is in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a way that makes it physically flat. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy clause “it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase “packed flat”; the use of the adverb “flat” conveys the intended meaning – that in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a way that makes it physically flat. Moreover, Option C uses the clause “elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary”; the construction of this phrase conveys the intended meaning – that since in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flat elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary. Further, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “packed flatly”; the use of the adverb “flatly” incorrectly implies that in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a flat manner; the intended meaning is in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a way that makes it physically flat. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy clause “there was no necessity for elaborate closet facilities”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “there being no necessity for elaborate closet facilities”; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that because in a traditional Japanese household there is no necessity for elaborate closet facilities, most clothing could be packed flat; the intended meaning is that since in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flat elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary. Further, Option D uses the word “being”, rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy; please remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “packed flatly”; the use of the adverb “flatly” incorrectly implies that in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a flat manner; the intended meaning is in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed in a way that makes it physically flat. Moreover, Option E further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "as no elaborate closet facilities were necessary"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that because in a traditional Japanese household there is no necessity for elaborate closet facilities, most clothing could be packed flat; the intended meaning is that since in the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flat elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

Note: Please note that the usages of “flat” and flatly” as adverbs convey different meanings. When “flatly” is used as an adverb, it conveys that an action was done in a flat, meaning blunt or emotionless, manner; for example, “He flatly explained his decision.” When “flat” is used as an adverb, it conveys that an action was taken to make something physically flat; for example, “He lay flat on the floor.”

To understand the use of "Being" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
B.

to me, flatly is not correct adverb. Flat is correct(irregular adverb where its not suffixed by -ly).

B is concise.

D. uses of "there being" is awkward
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5010 [7]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
nakib77 wrote:
3. In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities.

packed is an adjective. flatly is an adverb. An adverb should be in front of an adjective.

Example:
a lovely dinner
NOT a dinner lovely

Therefore, ACE are wrong. BD are left. being is hardly ever correct on the GMAT.

B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [25]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bmwhype2 wrote:
nakib77 wrote:
3. In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elaborate closet facilities.

packed is an adjective. flatly is an adverb. An adverb should be in front of an adjective.

Example:
a lovely dinner
NOT a dinner lovely

Therefore, ACE are wrong. BD are left. being is hardly ever correct on the GMAT.

B.

"packed" is actually a verb in this case. Adverbs (in a context) such as "fast", "flat", "high" are used without "+ly"
E.g. -He runs fast (Incorrect: He runs fastly)
-Throw high (Incorrect: throw highly)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Send PM
daagh,

Thanks.. That serially solves the queries in head.. But raises another question..
I am sorry but have to ask this question..

So here the flat is adverb and acting as verb modifier or it is adjective and acting as noun modifier?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Flat in this context, is an adverb modifying the verb packed; make bold to choose B as the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
to my acknowledge, there can't be a "," before "and"
correct me if i'm wrong.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [7]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos