It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

sc misery

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

sc misery [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 14:06
Hi,

I am doing pretty well in sentence correction, get most of the answers correct but not by the right approach.I just read the question and choose the answer choice which sounds the best and it's most of the time correct.It's very hard for me to understand whether it's an independent clause/dependent clause or how many clauses/phrases are there in the problem.Kindly guide how to overcome this hurdle so that i can atleast identify how many/what kind of clause.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 16444 [0], given: 229

Re: sc misery [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2016, 22:31
kk12 wrote:
Hi,

I am doing pretty well in sentence correction, get most of the answers correct but not by the right approach.I just read the question and choose the answer choice which sounds the best and it's most of the time correct.It's very hard for me to understand whether it's an independent clause/dependent clause or how many clauses/phrases are there in the problem.Kindly guide how to overcome this hurdle so that i can atleast identify how many/what kind of clause.

GMAT doesn't test your approach, only the answer. So as long as the answer is correct and you are not cheating, everything works. The way you answer SC questions is the way GMAT naturally expects all its test takers to answer. The test tries to measure your natural ability and that is the reason that some people get scores of 700+ even without any preparation. Most questions are based on very basic concepts and are extremely logical. You don't really need to prepare for it if you are already good at it. In business school, as in real life, you don't have to worry about independent/dependent clauses etc. You should know how to instinctively frame a correct sentence and that is important. If your answer is correct most of the times, you are good. No need to worry about grammar technicalities.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16444 [0], given: 229

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 66

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: sc misery [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 02:41
kk12 wrote:
Hi,

Quick question - do you time yourself? You may well find that your approach takes too much time, which is where an structured approach helps.

I faced a similar predicament where I could get answers right by instinct but tended to struggle on some tough ones. Also, when i read answer explanations, especially online, some of the terms were Latin and Greek to me. Happy to report that I scored a V42, which shows that as long as you get them right, the approach doesn't really matter as long as it leads you to the right answer quickly.

I used the Veritas IMPACTS checklist - it was helpful on the tougher questions where I needed to think hard. I feel those questions require you to use a checklist of "common flaws" so that you can solve the question within the given time-frame. Hope this helps!

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 66

Re: sc misery   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2016, 02:41