It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 11:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scholarship after waitlisted?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Reviews Badge
Scholarship after waitlisted? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 16:09
Hey all

I was wondering if anyone knows any case that someone received a significant scholarship (more than half-tuition) after getting waitlisted (then accepted) in a certain school? I just got waitlisted and I wonder if it is worth the wait because for me it's significant scholarship or no MBA at all.

Thanks!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Scholarship after waitlisted? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 20:28
greenzie wrote:
Hey all

I was wondering if anyone knows any case that someone received a significant scholarship (more than half-tuition) after getting waitlisted (then accepted) in a certain school? I just got waitlisted and I wonder if it is worth the wait because for me it's significant scholarship or no MBA at all.

Thanks!

Highly unlikely.... so I don't think that scenario is something you should contemplate. By now most of the $$$ are gone anyway, and by the time WL clears, none will be left.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
greenzie wrote:
Hey all

Thanks!

HI Greenzie,

I do personally know of someone who got awarded a significant scholarship (not more than half, but about 45%) after getting waitlisted. I believe it was also the biggest scholarship awarded that year. The applicant had communicated with the school through the essays/interviews that he could only do the MBA with a significant scholarship.

However, as bb advised, this is highly unlikely, and may not be worth the risk.

Wish you all the best!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 06:50
Thanks a lot bb and Edison! Very useful information for me!

Edison, thanks for answering my supposedly next question: whether or not I should communicate that I could only do MBA with generous scholarship. Any take how to say it the right way during interview (will have an interview in less than 2 weeks time)?

Thanks!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
greenzie wrote:

Edison, thanks for answering my supposedly next question: whether or not I should communicate that I could only do MBA with generous scholarship. Any take how to say it the right way during interview (will have an interview in less than 2 weeks time)?

Thanks!!

Maybe when you are asked "why you want to do an MBA / why now?", you can elaborate how prepared you are and how good a fit the school is, and why the major concern would be the funding and then explain you need a scholarship.

Looking forward to your updates!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 16:26
Thanks Edison. I will update you!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
Scholarship after waitlisted? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 01:11
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:
greenzie wrote:

Thanks!!

Maybe when you are asked "why you want to do an MBA / why now?", you can elaborate how prepared you are and how good a fit the school is, and why the major concern would be the funding and then explain you need a scholarship.

Looking forward to your updates!

Thank you - it is always great to have real examples!

I did not think these situations existed... but I guess they do. There may be a situation where a very eligible candidate who was offered a scholarship passes it and chooses a different school and you are in some way unique so there is some extra money. Scholarship does come into consideration when giving admission to a student (if they admit a person from a poor country without an ability to finance their MBA, then they will likely not matriculate resulting into a hit on schools' stats, which means in the first place, they would not offer the admit to a WL candidate who may need a scholarship to attend unless they have the money - in that case they would pick the best person from the list). I should correct my point - it is a possibility though a slim one. Kind of like an overbooked flight you are waitlisted for - you will be happy to get a seat but getting an upgrade would be an amazing score, few count on.

What is your worst case? You lose the deposit money in the other school?

Founder of GMAT Club

Krannert Ambassador
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2016, 12:33
I got wait listed at Mays, and then accepted, and later awarded a scholarship. It wasn't big, just like $5 but it qualified me for in-state tuition which would save me another $17K or so
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 04:05
This post received
KUDOS
I was waitlisted at a top 20 in R1 and was then offered a half tuition in the subsequent round.

greenzie wrote:
Hey all

Thanks!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 11:44
lav4 wrote:
I was waitlisted at a top 20 in R1 and was then offered a half tuition in the subsequent round.

greenzie wrote:
Hey all

Thanks!

Thank you for confirming this!
I wonder if there is a difference when you are WL'ed in R1 and considered with R2 applicants vs. WL'ed in R2 and considered in R3 when fewer funds are available. I guess this is one more reason to apply in R1.

Founder of GMAT Club

BSchool Forum Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2016, 15:16
Thanks all for answering my question! Nice to know that it is still possible to get a scholarship after wait listed even though it won't be a large one I suppose.
Re: Scholarship after waitlisted?   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2016, 15:16

Scholarship after waitlisted?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap