Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 10:48 It is currently 14 May 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 718
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: School Recommendations- Indian IT Male [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sharathskal wrote:
Need help on schools to target. I am location agnostic, but a little tight on finances. So, prefer good schools likely to offer decent scholarships. I am also open to re-taking the GMAT. Please be kind enough to go through the profile.

Also, please evaluate my chances at Darden, Johnson, Duke, Tepper, Emory, Kelley, Scheller, Vanderbilt. Aware that these schools aren't all comparable in terms of pedigree. these are the schools I currently have on my mind for the US.

Post MBA Aspiration- Wish to Pivot to Strategy Consulting (MBB, roland berger etc), if it does not materialise would be happy transitioning into technology consulting career.

Basic Details- Indian Male 27 years
GMAT- 730 (Q48 V42 IR5) earlier attempts-- 700 (q49 v35), 650 (q49 v28)
College GPA- 6.91 out of 10 (State Govt Engg. school on Merit Scholarship)
Work Exp- 5.3 yrs

Currently doing MBAMath, as suggested by Duke AdCom in an event.

I have 5.3 years of Experience with TCS in the Digital Transformation domain. I work as a Robotics Process Automation Developer cum Business Analyst.

As part of my current role in the project, I own automations-- the role entails all activities ranging from feasibility analysis, requirement gathering to delivery of the automations. Also, the manager of the central automation tool housing 100+ automations. As part of Centre of Excellence initiative have some experience of consulting other teams on the right course of action to be taken for their transformation initiatives.

In 6 automation assignments, had junior developers working under me. In terms of progression, I have had 2 promotions, the recent one being a fast track promotion to an early mid-management level designation in the organisation. Even in terms of salary progression, will be able to show an annual increment of ~27% yoy in the organisation.

Other Distinctions:
1) Made it to the Final interview (C-level panel) round for Tata Group's Flagship General Management programme, it was a 5 round process open to Tata Group employees of 2-6 yrs experience (1 million employees in total) including 2 rounds of Group Discussion and Case Study/Interview conducted by VPs in Tata Group. Was part of the final 28 to have made it to the interview.
2) Customer Appreciation as Most Promising RPA Team member
3) Star of the Month and on the spot awards

ECs: -
1) Took training Sessions on RPA tools for Business Operations associates seeking retraining opportunities (~100) as part of Machine first delivery model initiative in TCS.
2) Trained 6 associates in Centre of Excellence team in Excel VBA to meet an ad-hoc project requirement
3) Volunteering at an NGO since July this year, as part of this teaching 10th graders from unprivileged background Science
4) Class Representative in final year of College, helped the college achieve National board accreditation through data acquisition initiatives (a major exercise that happens every 5 years)
5) Organiser in Entrepreneurial fest in college and technical fest organised by department
6) School Vice Captain in School- Spearheaded the conduct of Social science exhibition hosting 7 other schools.
7) Interschool Social Science Quiz- 2nd Prize. Volley Ball First Prize in School (I do not know if these are even relevant)

Posted from my mobile device

Hello sharathskal,

Thanks for writing in.

Good to see you doing MBAMath; a Q48 may be a tad bit concerning for some schools.

Your career goals are in sync with several of the schools on your list - Darden, Kelley, Emory, and Tepper; your overall profile too appears to be in good shape for you to have a good chance at bagging an interview call from most of these schools. The key, of course, lies in putting forth a set of essays that adequately portray your strengths and tie your profile with your future goals in a seamless manner.

With regard to Cornell and Duke, we would have, ideally, wanted to see a higher GMAT score, especially, because you belong to an over-represented pool of applicants applying in Round 2. Besides, if you are looking for scholarships, your ideal playground is US top ~18 to US top ~30.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
sharathskal wrote:
Need help on schools to target. I am location agnostic, but a little tight on finances. So, prefer good schools likely to offer decent scholarships. I am also open to re-taking the GMAT. Please be kind enough to go through the profile.

Also, please evaluate my chances at Darden, Johnson, Duke, Tepper, Emory, Kelley, Scheller, Vanderbilt. Aware that these schools aren't all comparable in terms of pedigree. these are the schools I currently have on my mind for the US.

Post MBA Aspiration- Wish to Pivot to Strategy Consulting (MBB, roland berger etc), if it does not materialise would be happy transitioning into technology consulting career.

Work Exp- 5.3 yrs

I have 5.3 years of Experience with TCS in the Digital Transformation domain. I work as a Robotics Process Automation Developer cum Business Analyst.

As part of my current role in the project, I own automations-- the role entails all activities ranging from feasibility analysis, requirement gathering to delivery of the automations. Also, the manager of the central automation tool housing 100+ automations. As part of Centre of Excellence initiative have some experience of consulting other teams on the right course of action to be taken for their transformation initiatives.

In 6 automation assignments, had junior developers working under me. In terms of progression, I have had 2 promotions, the recent one being a fast track promotion to an early mid-management level designation in the organisation. Even in terms of salary progression, will be able to show an annual increment of ~27% yoy in the organisation.

Other Distinctions:
1) Made it to the Final interview (C-level panel) round for Tata Group's Flagship General Management programme, it was a 5 round process open to Tata Group employees of 2-6 yrs experience (1 million employees in total) including 2 rounds of Group Discussion and Case Study/Interview conducted by VPs in Tata Group. Was part of the final 28 to have made it to the interview.

1) Took training Sessions on RPA tools for Business Operations associates seeking retraining opportunities (~100) as part of Machine first delivery model initiative in TCS.
2) Trained 6 associates in Centre of Excellence team in Excel VBA to meet an ad-hoc project requirement
3) Volunteering at an NGO since July this year, as part of this teaching 10th graders from unprivileged background Science
4) Class Representative in final year of College, helped the college achieve National board accreditation through data acquisition initiatives (a major exercise that happens every 5 years)
5) Organiser in Entrepreneurial fest in college and technical fest organised by department
6) School Vice Captain in School- Spearheaded the conduct of Social science exhibition hosting 7 other schools.
7) Interschool Social Science Quiz- 2nd Prize. Volley Ball First Prize in School (I do not know if these are even relevant)

Hello sharathskal,

Thanks for writing in.

Good to see you doing MBAMath; a Q48 may be a tad bit concerning for some schools.

Your career goals are in sync with several of the schools on your list - Darden, Kelley, Emory, and Tepper; your overall profile too appears to be in good shape for you to have a good chance at bagging an interview call from most of these schools. The key, of course, lies in putting forth a set of essays that adequately portray your strengths and tie your profile with your future goals in a seamless manner.

With regard to Cornell and Duke, we would have, ideally, wanted to see a higher GMAT score, especially, because you belong to an over-represented pool of applicants applying in Round 2. Besides, if you are looking for scholarships, your ideal playground is US top ~18 to US top ~30.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Appreciate the feedback. Have a follow up question. Darden, Cornell, Duke and Tepper would be my priority 1 schools. Will a 750 increase my chances of an admit and a scholarship, if I were to apply in R1 next year (or even R2 this year). Or will the focus edition diminish my chances.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sharathskal wrote:
ExpertsGlobal wrote:
sharathskal wrote:

Work Exp- 5.3 yrs

Other Distinctions:

Hello sharathskal,

Thanks for writing in.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Appreciate the feedback. Have a follow up question. Darden, Cornell, Duke and Tepper would be my priority 1 schools. Will a 750 increase my chances of an admit and a scholarship, if I were to apply in R1 next year (or even R2 this year). Or will the focus edition diminish my chances.

Yes, absolutely! An increase will definitely help.

The good thing is that you have a little over 5 years of experience; hence, even adding an additional year of experience will not prove to be disadvantageous.

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 641 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
sharathskal wrote:

Work Exp- 5.3 yrs

Other Distinctions:

Hi sharathskal
I would like to be very honest here. If you are tight on finances, it's best to graduate with the least amount of loans possible. For that, you should do two things:

1.Increase your GMAT to a 750+ level. No matter how good your essays are, there will be a bunch of similar profiles applying to all these schools on your list. Therefore, putting some effort into improving your score can definitely improve the chances for an admit as well as scholarships.

2. Understand what might be your safe schools at your current score. Cast a wide net in terms of schools in the T25 range. Even though not ultra-competitive, at Tepper, Emory, Kelley, Scheller, and Vanderbilt, you could fall short in demonstrating career progression which a lot of IT applicants are able to due to job switches, more industry/business exposure, multiple promotions, etc. Add Foster, Olin, and a few others to your list.

Your ECs are alright but mostly dated. Duke is quite unlikely to happen with the current score and profile (unless theres something I am missing). I suggest you utilize your time in taking some serious actions, on the GMAT front, or researching safe schools and adding more to your list.

Feel free to seek professional advice

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ExpertsGlobal

Thanks, will give my best shot in the next GMAT attempt.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
School Recommendations- Indian IT Male [#permalink]
Hi MBAGuide,

Appreciate the honest feedback. Also, thanks for the detailed response. Oops I had initially read it wrong, yes will add a few more schools to my list. As for my profile, while I can understand that schools may have reservations over my industry exposure over that of someone with a few job switches in the IT/Software industry.

I believe that there are some pointers--which I have left out above--that may help me differentiate a little from the general IT experience.

I have extensive exposure to different towers and functions in the finance and accounting department of retail businesses that handle Payroll, FPnA, Supply chain, Procurement, VAT and Cash management functions.

In addition, I have been handling delivery of automations for a specific F&A tower (R2R) in a client facing capacity. Involving activities atypical of technical work, like business process redesign and standardisation.

Also, since RPA involves integrating and streamlining different business processes, I have been consistently liaising with various teams handling Business enabler systems like ERP, RMS ,BI and Workflow management tools and also using these tools for work.

I do realise that I have my work cut out in portraying the above experiences in terms of tangible outcomes. But I will surely ensure
a) That I make the case that I'll be able to add to the classrooms discussions
b) That I coherently state how I can translate my experiences thus far into the industry and the function pivots that I am targetting.

Will try to do as suggested.

GMAT Club Bot
School Recommendations- Indian IT Male [#permalink]