GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Score improvement scope.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Score improvement scope.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 05:33
I took the free gmat practice test on veritas before starting my preparation and scored a 580 only! (I didn’t remember a lot of basic maths)
After a week of studying I scored 640 on my gmat official practice test 1, but on the next test which I gave in the 2nd week , I scored 610 only. I am very nervous as my score has suddenly dropped.
I am aiming for 750 and plan to give the gmat test in May.
Do you think it’s possible to improve that much?? Can you suggest on what should Be my strategy for it?
(Also, I am relatively better with my verbal than my quants. And with quants too I am facing more of a time crunch. )

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: Score improvement scope.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 11:10
Hi Megha1412.

There is absolutely no reason to be "nervous" because your third practice test score was lower than your second by 30 points. People's scores fluctuate that much all the time, and you have just begun your preparation. So, you have knowledge and skill gaps that questions on one test may reveal, while another test may include more questions that you are ready to answer.

Regarding whether you can go from the low 600's to 750, you can for sure. At the same time, you have to realize that increasing one's GMAT score can take a fair amount of work. Achieving a 100+ point increase generally is not a matter of reviewing a few things and answering some practice questions. It's likely that you'll have to do some pretty substantial work to get your quant skills to where they have to be, for one thing.

One advantage that you do have is your strong verbal skills, as it tends to be easier to drive up one's quant score than one's verbal score. So, starting off with a foundation of relatively strong verbal skills can be helpful.

Regarding the time crunch in quant, it's common for people starting their GMAT preparation to have trouble finishing the quant section on time. At the same time, by developing familiarity and skill, you will speed up in quant.

Overall, the best way to increase your GMAT score and get to your 750 goal is to work topic by topic, driving your score up point by point. So, for instance, in quant, you would start with one topic, such as Number Properties or Probability, become strong in that area, and then move onto the next area.

For example, if you were focusing on Number Properties, you would first develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal would be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, you would practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently.

Then you would move on to the next quant topic.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you get a question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you apply a formula incorrectly? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and completely master each topic.

Speed won't come through your forcing yourself to speed up. Speed will come from your gaining knowledge and developing skill.

For more on how to increase your quant score, you could read the following post. How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score

You would work on verbal in a similar way, going through each topic in turn, learning the foundational concepts used in answering questions of a particular type and then applying those concepts by carefully answering dozens of questions of that type until you get close to all of them correct and become confident that when you see a question of that type that you will answer it efficiently and correctly.

As you would when doing quant practice, when you answer verbal questions, take your time at first, seeking to CLEARLY DEFINE why wrong choices are wrong and correct answers are correct. You won't get to 750 using gimmicky strategies. You have to learn to see exactly what there is to see and use solid logic to arrive at correct answers.

You may also find the information in this post helpful. It includes not only pointers on how to learn to answer GMAT questions but also ideas that you can use to plan your preparation and make your preparation efficient and effective. How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 08:24
Thanks a lot for your response.
Can you please recommend some good sources from where I can study my quant and verbal topic by topic!

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Score improvement scope.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 09:50
Megha1412 wrote:
Thanks a lot for your response.
Can you please recommend some good sources from where I can study my quant and verbal topic by topic!

Great question!

There are a variety of ways to go about doing so, and you may get some more answers on this thread.

At the same time, for quant, 100% I’d recommend Target Test Prep. We are the top-rated quant course here on GMAT Club. If you can complete the course, there is no reason why you can’t realize a MAJOR improvement on your GMAT quant score (49 or higher).

Regarding verbal, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

If you need any further advice, feel free to reach out.

Enjoy the game!

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 07:09
Hi Megha, what has been the score splits (Quant/Verbal) in the mocks that you've attempted so far, and what resources have you used for your prep?

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Score improvement scope.   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2019, 07:09

Score improvement scope.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: egmat