GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 11:32


GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance


we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.


Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

     January 22, 2019

     January 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     January 26, 2019

     January 26, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Scored 590 twice (need some advice regarding schools)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message

Hide Tags

Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
WE: Information Technology (Other)
Scored 590 twice (need some advice regarding schools)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 19:18
Hi gmates,

I`ll share my little story with the GMAT in order to better explain my situation. I live in Brazil and decided in March/2012 to enter an MBA program in an English-speaking country. By the time I found out the details of the MBA application process, almost every 2nd round deadline had already passed. I didn't want to wait next year's September to begin my program. Later I found out that there are some programs which have a January entry option, so I decided I would apply for them.

After scoring 590 on my first try, which didn't felt quite bad, i prepared for two more months and retook it. Scored a 590 again, which, this time, was quite disappointing because of the added study time and having scored a 670 on GMATprep. I was expecting 630+, but the verbal part seemed so much more difficult this time.

My scores:
1st MasterGMAT Simulated Test - 570 (Q34, V35)
2nd MasterGMAT Simulated Test - 580 (Q36, V34)
1st Official GMAT - 590 (Q41, V30)
GMATprep test - 670 (Q47, V35)
2nd Official GMAT - 590 (Q44, V27)

The programs with January-entry that I am considering are:
Columbia University
University of Rochester (Simon BS)
York University (Schulich BS) (CAN)
University of Melbourne (AUS)
University of New South Wales (ASGM) (AUS)
University of Birmingham (UK)
Claremont University (Drucker & Masatoshi GSM)

With my current score, I feel that my chances that going to Columbia and Rochester are gone. Regarding Schulich, Melbourne and ASGM, I may have some very small chance because I would still be in range. Birmingham doesn't require the GMAT and I have good chances at Claremont as their average is not high. Does anyone know other good schools with January-entry option still accepting applications for 2013?

Lately I began to wonder if my decision of applying to january-entry schools was really worth it because it severely limited my choices to a small group of schools. I wonder if non-american schools and Claremont will render me a good MBA experience compared to the many other american schools that would be available for the default September-entry. Should I consider applying for September, broaden my choice range of schools pick some other ones that fit better my profile and are simply better overall than my January-entry options? If I wait for September i could even try the GMAT a 3rd time, although I'm not confident that I would improve my score anymore. I'm considering that the 590 will be enough to get into one of the 2nd tier american schools.

Another thing, should I sent my 2nd score to schools which already received my 1st? The first is more balanced, the second has a stronger quant. and weaker verbal (which I hope the school may excuse me for being a foreigner).

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 17137
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored 590 twice (need some advice regarding schools)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2012, 21:43
Thank you for posting your story and welcome to GMAT Club!

1. Why the Jan intake schools besides waiting?
It does limit your options and also makes it a bit more tricky with job search since you most likely will graduate in the Fall/Winter. Not necessarily bad as you may land the job you may otherwise wait for half a year but most internships and MBA-related positions are usually recruited in a certain pattern of months

2. Where do you want to work/be/stay?
Are you coming back to Brazil after graduation? If not, pick the place where you will study carefully as you want it to be as close as possible to where you want to work afterwards.

3. Are you experienced enough for an EMBA? That may cut you some slack in studying/score

Some other thoughts:
Looks like you took a course - did you get your money back from Master GMAT for scoring the same?
Any ideas why and what went wrong? why no improvement after 2 months?
What is your weakest area in Verbal?

P.S. Don't bother spending $50 to send score reports. Don't think it will be a big winner. I would instead retake one more time (I know it sounds dreadful) but your GMAT prep was 670 and you did take a course. I can't believe you won't improve. You should do at least 40-50 points better by just retaking (and your score reports are sent for free).

Assuming you have time to retake and spend 30 days - i would get either GMAT Club grammar book (free download) or MGMAT Verbal Foundations + MGMAT Roadmap and spend 30 days with them. If you can't improve 50 points call me a liar (I may call you a lazy bum in return though).

Also, take a quick look here: gmat fiction - I highly recommend this for non-native speakers.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Joined: 01 Aug 2016
Posts: 4
Re: Scored 590 twice (need some advice regarding schools)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 02:51
Is American University a good choice to have a MBA degree from? Is there any chance to get a job (decent) in USA after graduating from this university? Need advice.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scored 590 twice (need some advice regarding schools) &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jan 2018, 02:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scored 590 twice (need some advice regarding schools)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.