It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sentence Correction ~ Appositive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [1], given: 13

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE: Operations (Consumer Electronics)
CAT Tests
Sentence Correction ~ Appositive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The U.S. Revolutionay war rolls, a collection of records kept by the National archives, lists only individuals who fought for the colonies in the american revolutionary war.

What is the main subject and what is the appositive over here?

~~~~~~ consider giving kudos if you liked the post ~~~~~~

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8780 [1], given: 106

Re: Sentence Correction ~ Appositive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ng2 wrote:
The U.S. Revolutionay war rolls, a collection of records kept by the National archives, lists only individuals who fought for the colonies in the american revolutionary war.

What is the main subject and what is the appositive over here?

Dear ng2,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I see this is your first post. Welcome to GMAT Club! Good luck in your preparations for the GMAT! :-)

As a general rule, any structure in a sentence set off on both sides by a comma is optional, something extra, and the flow of the sentence would be grammatically correct without it. Thus, the phrase "a collection of records kept by the National archives" is set-off by commas and optional: this could not be the subject, but it could be an appositive. We also have to correct the verb, which is wrong in the version you give: we have to make it a plural verb. Here's the short version, with the strictly necessary pieces.
The U.S. Revolutionary War Rolls list only individuals who fought for the colonies in the American Revolutionary War.
Thus, clearly, "The U.S. Revolutionary War Rolls" is the subject. Now, we can look at the full sentence.
The U.S. Revolutionary War Rolls, a collection of records kept by the National Archives, list only individuals who fought for the colonies in the American Revolutionary War.
Indeed, the phrase set off by commas is the appositive phrase.

You can read more at this blog article:
GMAT Grammar: Appositive Phrases

Feel free to ask for my help anywhere on GMAT Club, by using my user name mikemcgarry and the "mention this user" button.

Does all this make sense?
Mike:-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.85
WE: Operations (Consumer Electronics)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 22:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I have another query. Shouldnt 'US revolutionary war rolls' be singular since its a collective entity. like it says in the appositive that it is a collection of records.

~~~~~~ consider giving kudos if you liked the post ~~~~~~

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ng2 wrote:
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I have another query. Shouldnt 'US revolutionary war rolls' be singular since its a collective entity. like it says in the appositive that it is a collection of records.

Dear ng2,

My friend, that's a very thoughtful and perceptive question. I'm happy to respond. :-)

You know, my friend, there's an element of language that is inherently illogical. Yes, technically, the term "U.S. Revolutionary War Rolls" (every word of which should be capitalized) not only denotes a single thing but also is identified by the appositive as another single thing: "a collection of records." In a purely logically consistent way, we can construct a strong argument about why it should be singular. Nevertheless, the term is written as a plural, so the default is to treat it grammatically as a plural. That's the rough and ready rule.

The opposite is also true: collective nouns (e.g. "the company," "the government," "the football team," etc.) are composed of many individuals, but because these words are in singular form, they demand singular verbs and singular pronouns.

With exceedingly few exceptions unlikely to be tested on the GMAT, we can say: forget about what would logically make sense--if it looks plural, treat it as plural, and if it looks singular, treat it as singular. You can give yourself bad headaches if you worry about all the ways that the English language is not logically consistent.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 258 [3], given: 61

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
You know, my friend, there's an element of language that is inherently illogical. Yes, technically, the term "U.S. Revolutionary War Rolls" (every word of which should be capitalized) not only denotes a single thing but also is identified by the appositive as another single thing: "a collection of records." In a purely logically consistent way, we can construct a strong argument about why it should be singular. Nevertheless, the term is written as a plural, so the default is to treat it grammatically as a plural. That's the rough and ready rule.

An interesting source on this is SC 101 in the 2015 Verbal OG. (It looks like this is the problem that this one is based on.) The official explanation for that problem reads as follows:

"...Although the work is sometimes referred to by the title The Federalist Papers, the fact that papers is not capitalized indicates that in this case it is intended as a descriptive reference to the collection of papers, not as a title. Thus, it should have a plural verb."

That seems to imply that if the whole title was capitalized, the GMAC would consider the whole thing a singular noun. Because it isn't, it's plural.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 258 [3], given: 61

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 10:01
ng2
can you please post the full questions with options over here? Seems like an interesting question.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Sentence Correction ~ Appositive   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2017, 10:01

Sentence Correction ~ Appositive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap