It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Serious Help Needed!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Serious Help Needed!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 09:05
Hi,

I started my GMAT prepration in December 2016.

I Opted for egmat verbal course and have completed SC and RC.

In last four months i have mainly focused on SC and currently i have hit rate of almost 70 percent in SC from OG.

Material Used:

egmat verbal and Officical Guides.
GMATPrep Test :1

I wrote my first GMAT diagnostic test on 26 march 2017 and scored 590 ( Q49. V23). I was expecting that atleast i will score 650.

SC : 6Wrong/ 16, CR: 4wrong/ 11, RC : 8wrong/14

GMATPrep Test 2:

I studied RC and did some SC question from gmat club and i wrote my second exam on 17 april 2016. I scored 610 ( Q49, V23).

SC :6wrong/17, CR: 8wrong/11, RC :5 wrong/13.

My target score is 670-680.

I have scheduled my gmat for 15 May, i can postpone it to for 2 months.

Please suggest me on the above.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
B
Status: No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Sales (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Serious Help Needed!!! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 09:27
rhtksingh wrote:
Hi,

In last four months i have mainly focused on SC and currently i have hit rate of almost 70 percent in SC from OG.

Material Used:

I wrote my first GMAT diagnostic test on 26 march 2017 and scored 590 ( Q49. V23). I was expecting that atleast i will score 650.

GMATPrep Test 2:

I studied RC and did some SC question from gmat club and i wrote my second exam on 17 april 2016. I scored 610 ( Q49, V23).

Hi! First, let me congratulate on a good Quant score. It means you have a good foundation from which you can build on to beat the 99%.

Regarding your Verbal I would recommend before diving deep into heavy practice to go for the following strategies:
1) SC - learn the key mistake types: parallelism, modifiers, sv agreement, tenses and common idioms.
I used e-gmat and Manhattan guides.

2) CR - PowerScore CR Bible is a must - it is a great book, which was an eye opener for me to understand the connection between premise and conclusion.
Learn the question types and common wrong answers: out of focus, opposite, etc. Eliminate them first.

3) RC - read GMAT Rc texts not less than 3 per day. Read the Economist and Financial Times. Try to analyze the unction of each paragraph and the authors tone.
General recommendation is to practice mainly with official questions as they are the closest in logic to the actual exam. GmatPrep question pack and OG Verbal review may be helpful.
Hope this helps and good luck!

The more we do, the more we can do.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 11:18
Hi rhtksingh,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, and that you took these CATs in a realistic fashion, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). Since your Quant Scaled Score is so high, the bulk of the missing points that you're looking for are going to be found in the Verbal section. With a V23, you're missing out on significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR).

Thankfully, you're closer to your overall Score Goal than you probably realize, so you won't have to become that much stronger in every Verbal area to hit that goal. However, you clearly will have to learn and practice some new Verbal Tactics, since "your way" of dealing with the Verbal section seems to have you 'stuck' in the low-V20s. While you could potentially hit your score goal in a month, having more study time than that would likely increase your chances.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Going forward:
1) How many hours can you consistently study each week?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 20:19
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rhtksingh,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, and that you took these CATs in a realistic fashion, your 2 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (+/- a few points). Since your Quant Scaled Score is so high, the bulk of the missing points that you're looking for are going to be found in the Verbal section. With a V23, you're missing out on significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR).

Thankfully, you're closer to your overall Score Goal than you probably realize, so you won't have to become that much stronger in every Verbal area to hit that goal. However, you clearly will have to learn and practice some new Verbal Tactics, since "your way" of dealing with the Verbal section seems to have you 'stuck' in the low-V20s. While you could potentially hit your score goal in a month, having more study time than that would likely increase your chances.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Going forward:
1) How many hours can you consistently study each week?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank You for your quick reply.
here are my answers:
When you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes I took the complete test including IR and AWA.

2) Did you take them at home? [b]No. I took it at a TestCenter provided by Local Coaching Center
[/b]
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT? [b]No. First Test I took it around 2 PM and Second test at 10 AM.
[/b]
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? [b]No. It was a complete test environment.
[/b]
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE? Yes. Fortunately all the previously seen questions were answered wrong in test by me(Not Intentionally). Hence it reflects my weaknesses.

Going forward:
1) How many hours can you consistently study each week? Since I am a working professional I target to dedicate at least 2 hours a day during weekdays and 4 hours a day during weekends.

2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? [b]November 2017[/b].

3) What Schools are you planning to apply to? NUS,NTU,ESMT Berlin, EBS (MIM) , ESB(MIM), HHL, Sauder, HKUST

I am ready to spend further 2 months of study so that i reach my target score consistently in my CATs.

Please suggest.

Last edited by rhtksingh on 18 Apr 2017, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 21:09
rhtksingh wrote:
Hi,

Material Used:

GMATPrep Test 2:

I've the egmat Verbal online course and my SC percentile has shooted up just by following the approach given. Have you been doing the same? Try taking the timers in the forum and apply the same approach and check out if you get the same answer. Solving a lot of official questions should help you in getting a hang of the verbal part better.

Hit +1 Kudos If you like my post! :)

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 17:27
Hello, you seems to have a solid foundation. Best withes for the final exam :)

For the last month prep, Practicing mixed questions (combination of DS/PS/SC/CR etc) is crucial. There is an official source (Question Pack 1) for this too . Then you should work on test taking skills. Sometimes efficiency on exam skill significantly improves score in short time. Take a practice test in every week, identify your strong and week point and finally develop your game plan for each of these areas. That's all !

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.69

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 01:13
Try The MGMAT strategy guides specially for SC and RC. They are some of the best verbal guides in the market.

For CR Powerscore CR Bible may work best. Also try to solve egmat scholaranium which I have heard is great.
Also try to take as many mocks as possible. They will help you pinpoint your weak areas. All the best.

HIT +1 KUDOS IF YOU LIKE MY POST.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 01:30
rhtksingh wrote:
Hi,

Material Used:

GMATPrep Test 2:

Hi,

So firstly, your RC score is also a bit on the lower side. I would suggest that you practice RC passages from Manhattan maybe. Work on Inference questions, as they can be tricky in the exam. Categorising questions into different types will help you take a benefetial approach to solve solve it.

Secondly, your SC scores look okay, as accuracy shold not fall below 70% if you are tagetting naywhere around 650. Quant scores are good too. However, CR - Again low scores.. I would suggest the same as I did for RC.

I think its better to postpone the date for two months from now. Even if you retake the GMAT exam after giving first one, you can only gain 10-15 points, not more than that.

All the best!
N
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 03:43
You may get a holistic idea from experts regarding the last months prep on the following posts.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/2012/09/13/the-last-14-days-building-your-game-plan-part-1/

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/1-month-gmat-study-schedule/

https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/07/5-tips-on-how-to-study-for-the-gmat-in-30-days/

Master with structure - Numerical comparison [source: economist.com] https://gmatclub.com/forum/master-with-structure-numerical-comparison-233657.html#p1801987

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 15:19
Hi rhtksingh,

If you push back your Test Date a bit, and can study consistently during that time, then I think that you would have a good chance to hit your score goal. Unfortunately, there's some question as to how accurate your practice CAT results are. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can completely throw off your testing 'experience' and the score algorithm - so these practice results are likely a bit 'inflated.' As such, you really have to make sure to take NEW CATs that do NOT include questions that you've seen before. In addition, you will almost certainly need to invest in some new Verbal materials so that you can learn/practice some new Tactics. Before you commit to any new resources though, I suggest you take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT this weekend so that we can get a more accurate sense of your current ability level. Once you have that score, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 07:18
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rhtksingh,

If you push back your Test Date a bit, and can study consistently during that time, then I think that you would have a good chance to hit your score goal. Unfortunately, there's some question as to how accurate your practice CAT results are. Seeing even a few 'repeat' questions can completely throw off your testing 'experience' and the score algorithm - so these practice results are likely a bit 'inflated.' As such, you really have to make sure to take NEW CATs that do NOT include questions that you've seen before. In addition, you will almost certainly need to invest in some new Verbal materials so that you can learn/practice some new Tactics. Before you commit to any new resources though, I suggest you take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT this weekend so that we can get a more accurate sense of your current ability level. Once you have that score, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

Hi Rich ,

Thank You fro your reply and precious advice.
I forgot to mention one thing in my post.

I have a serious issue with the timing.

In my first Gmat Prep test i finished Verbal sector before 20 minutes.

And In my second test i finished my Verbal test before 8 minutes.

What i have analyzed is that i am fine with concept of SC because when i solve wuestions from gmatclub my accurqcy is almost 70-80 percent . But no idea about CR and RC .
I just try to use my common sense in both of them.

How can i deal with time management issue? I am thinking that i am not giving needed time in CR and RC questions.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 10:02
Hi rhtksingh,

It's important to note that pacing issues do NOT exist on their own - they're the result of OTHER issues. As such, until we define what those other issues are, it would be difficult to speculate on the exact things that you need to 'fix.' A new CAT score - from a practice Test that includes NO repeat questions - should provide us with the information that we need to start with.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 08:02
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rhtksingh,

It's important to note that pacing issues do NOT exist on their own - they're the result of OTHER issues. As such, until we define what those other issues are, it would be difficult to speculate on the exact things that you need to 'fix.' A new CAT score - from a practice Test that includes NO repeat questions - should provide us with the information that we need to start with.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Today i took a diagnostic test from 800 score.com.

I do not know how authentic these test are.

I scored 540 (Q 42, V21) . I am disappointed with my score of quant even i did better than my last test at GMAT Prep.

In 800 score test:

In quant i made mistake in 10 questions and i got Q 42.

In Verbal this time i made mistake in 17 questions and scored V 21..

In GMAT Prep :
In GMATprep i made mistake in 11 questions in quant section and i got Q 49.

In my last GMATPrep i made 19 mistake in Verbal questions and i scored V23.

Rich, I have observed one thing in my exam results , sometimes i do continous mistakes in ( continous 4 wrong) my exam.

Please advice.

Re: Serious Help Needed!!!   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2017, 08:02

Serious Help Needed!!!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap