It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Several senior officers spoke to the press on the condition that they not be named in the story.

A. that they not be named

B. that their names will not be used

C. that their names are not used

D. of not being named

E. they will not be named

Manager
Manager

Re: Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:45
My material says that the answer is A, but i marked B.

Please explain..
Thanks in advance..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:52
C D and E are clearly out because of passive, being and present construction. Because "their names" should be preferred over "they", I will keep A out as well. The only choice left is B.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:55
amritgodofwar wrote:
My material says that the answer is A, but i marked B.

Please explain..
Thanks in advance..

Which material are you referring to? I was confused between A and B because I wasn't sure whether A is bossy enough to have a subjunctive structure. Moreover, "their names" sounded better than "they". That's why I suggested B.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 12:58
Its Jamboree material (im not sure u'd know about it).. i was also sure that the subjunctive wont go there...

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8171 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 21:00
Of course, this is a fit case of command subjunctive. ‘Spoke on a condition’ tantamounts to mandatoriness.

Therefore, A is right.

P.S: If I remember correct, this question is from the 1000 SC series, adopted by various tutorial institutions.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8171 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2011, 23:52
Chose A for precision and how it sound.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 161

WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2011, 10:09
daagh wrote:
Of course, this is a fit case of command subjunctive. ‘Spoke on a condition’ tantamounts to mandatoriness.

Therefore, A is right.

P.S: If I remember correct, this question is from the 1000 SC series, adopted by various tutorial institutions.

"condition" is mandatory????

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 161

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2011, 00:21
I think it should A either.

(1) their names will or are not be used is wordy. Not as clear as they not be named

(2) On the condition that should be followed "should". here it is ignored.

So the answer should be A. if C is correct, I would rather choose B as right answer.
So using the cancelling method I choose A

gmatisnothard wrote:
Several senior officials spoke to the press on condition name that they not be named in the story.
(A) that they not be named
(B) that their names will not be used
(C) that their names are not used
(D) of not being named
(E) they will not be named

Some thoughts:

1. Subjunctive:
The prime issue of this sentence is "on condition that,". The sentence requires the subjunctive.

Read the following sentences from washingtontimes:

"Rewards for those who supported the president's 2008 campaign have been doled out in less formal ways. Two top bundlers, for instance, described invitations to bring their families to the private bowling alley at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, adjacent to the White House. Both spoke on the condition they not be named because they did not want to damage their relationship with the White House."

=> the original sentence is there.

In case of subjunctive, only the base form of verbs should be used.

Answer is A.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2011, 02:00
A because B....alter the meaning .

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1252 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2012, 15:16
Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they not be named in
the press reports.

A. that they not be named
B. that their names will not be used
C. that their names are not used
D. of not having their names
E. of not naming them

This question has been discussed many times, but most people just say why the OA is right.
So I am wondering why b and c are wrong although I picked a as an answer.

I am guessing...
"spoke" is obvously past tense, but b is future and c is present.
Is it correct to say that the reason b and c are wrong is the inconsistent tense?

Kudos [?]: 1252 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2012, 15:31
I can't provide a full explanation, maybe an Expert can explain it better but I think i can't point you in the write direction maybe. The sentence is using a subjunctive mood (subject is expressing a wish), and when that happens the problem tense of "to be" is "be" rather than "will not be" or "are."

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000031.htm

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 16:55
I believe the answer is "A" because the subjunctive mood definition states that

We can expect to see the subjunctive mood in two special situations
1. Unlikely or Unreal conditions(usually after if or similar words)
2. Proposals, desire and requests formed with certain verbs and the word "that"

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 19:09
It's a subjunctive therefore the verb needs to be in the simple form:
they not be named
their names not be used
hence the answer is A

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 26

GMAT Date: 09-17-2012

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 08:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Several senior officials spoke to the press on condi-tion that they not be named in the story.

(A) that they not be named
(B) that their names will not be used
(C) that their names are not used
(D) of not being named
(E) they will not be named

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 26

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 7

Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
I honestly think that this is a 700 level questions since subjuncitves are not commonly tested. Answer is A because it follows the rule.

They did things on the condition that (condition). Condition is/was that they not be named.

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 22:13
ananthpatri wrote:
Injuin wrote:
I honestly think that this is a 700 level questions since subjuncitves are not commonly tested. Answer is A because it follows the rule.

They did things on the condition that (condition). Condition is/was that they not be named.

why is B wrong?

This is a case of the command present subjunctive mood and hence, "will" is incorrect used after "condition that" in Option B.
"be" is correctly used in option A.
Hope it helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2012, 08:07
What capricorn said is true. I wouldn't kill yourself over this question. I initially thought it was B but figured that it couldn't use future tense since the officials already spoke and the condition was already agreed upon. I had to google this question some more to find the exact reasoning behind it and was opened into the world of subjunctive mood. HOWEVER people keep reminding others that subjunctive mood makes up very little of the sentence correction questions, so your efforts should be spent learning the other types like parallelism, subject-verb agreement, modifiers, etc. That's why I think this question has to be 700+ since it's using something uncommon.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 07:40
Injuin wrote:
What capricorn said is true. I wouldn't kill yourself over this question. I initially thought it was B but figured that it couldn't use future tense since the officials already spoke and the condition was already agreed upon. I had to google this question some more to find the exact reasoning behind it and was opened into the world of subjunctive mood. HOWEVER people keep reminding others that subjunctive mood makes up very little of the sentence correction questions, so your efforts should be spent learning the other types like parallelism, subject-verb agreement, modifiers, etc. That's why I think this question has to be 700+ since it's using something uncommon.

I have read in the MGMAT, that the command subjunctive mood will take place only for the verbs: Demand, Dictate, Insist, Mandate, Propose, Recommend, Request, Stipulate, suggest but none of these verbs are here in this sentence.
Apart from this list is any other verb is there which always take command subjunctive mood please let me know.

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 08:57
jitgoel wrote:
Injuin wrote:

I have read in the MGMAT, that the command subjunctive mood will take place only for the verbs: Demand, Dictate, Insist, Mandate, Propose, Recommend, Request, Stipulate, suggest but none of these verbs are here in this sentence.
Apart from this list is any other verb is there which always take command subjunctive mood please let me know.

Subjunctive mood is not limited to those verbs, just things that suggest a condition is present.

Re: Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2012, 08:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 56 posts ] 

Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap