GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Mar 2019, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 05:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (00:36) correct 71% (00:36) wrong based on 82 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, every day watering the more than 50
plants in her yard

(A)every day watering the more than 50 plants in her yard
(B)every day watering more than the 50 plants in her yard
(C) Neither is Correct
(D) Both are correct
Intern
Intern
B
Re: She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 05:15
I am not able to get why the answer is option (a)
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 06:17
Both sentences are grammatically correct, but the meaning is completely different. As a result, the original sentence is the one to be considered as correct intended meaning.

now, lets discuss the difference in meaning:

"every day watering the more than 50 plants in her yard":
it means that every day, she waters the plants , which happened to be more than 50.

"every day watering more than the 50 plants in her yard":
it means that every day, she intentionally waters more than the 50 plants, which are supposed to be watered.

Again, since the meaning is different, the first will be accounted as the correct intended meaning.

..Thanks for KUDOS

Senior SC Moderator
V
She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 07:16
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
Both sentences are grammatically correct, but the meaning is completely different. As a result, the original sentence is the one to be considered as correct intended meaning.

now, lets discuss the difference in meaning:

"every day watering the more than 50 plants in her yard":
it means that every day, she waters the plants , which happened to be more than 50.

"every day watering more than the 50 plants in her yard":
it means that every day, she intentionally waters more than the 50 plants, which are supposed to be watered.

Again, since the meaning is different, the first will be accounted as the correct intended meaning.

NO. That assertion is widely taught and not accurate.

I can understand why people believe this assertion. They repeat what they hear. It is not true that option A determines the originally intended meaning.

Mahmoudfawzy83 , from what source did you get the idea that the original sentence determines the meaning?

I have seen that incorrect assertion in Powerscore. Do you know whether it is anywhere else?

And could you cite the post or source from which you learned it?

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you
because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it
—Roald Dahl

Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 07:42
Hi generis
I will try to remember an exact citation and return to you. I am learning by myself, so I went through numerous videos and articles from different sources.

but before that, but I think the highlighted sentence, which I wrote, is not accurate enough.
My understanding so far is that we should stick to the logical meaning intended by the author, even if the author misinterpreted it by incorrect wording.

In our example above, the author's wording is correct and logical (in my opinion);
but sentence "2" has correct wording but different meaning which make it not right (in my opinion).

If my understanding is wrong, please clarify.
and thanks for your engagement and activity. This isn't the first time to learn from you something new.

..Thanks for KUDOS

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 11:59
As per my understanding,the meaning of both the choices are as under:
1. She is watering plants in her yard,which are more than 50 in number.
2. She is watering more than just the 50 plants in her yard, which may include watering plants on roadway,watering plants near poles,garden etc.

So, as per me, the answer should be A, as both the sentences are grammatically correct, with different meaning.But we need to find a meaningful sentence, which is no doubt A.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 22:49
Lots of good points made here. Yes, in this case, the second one changes the meaning, but no, we can't assume that answer choice A in an official SC will dictate the meaning. Remember that 4 times out of 5, answer choice A is wrong, and often one of the problems with a wrong answer is an error of meaning! We need to use all 5 choices to determine the author's intended meaning.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2019, 20:50
Top Contributor
Will somebody confirm whether this question is from Stacey's Manhattan Prep Company or the other Manhattan Review company?

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 12:37
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
Hi generis
I will try to remember an exact citation and return to you. I am learning by myself, so I went through numerous videos and articles from different sources.

but before that, but I think the highlighted sentence, which I wrote, is not accurate enough.
My understanding so far is that we should stick to the logical meaning intended by the author, even if the author misinterpreted it by incorrect wording.

In our example above, the author's wording is correct and logical (in my opinion);
but sentence "2" has correct wording but different meaning which make it not right (in my opinion).

If my understanding is wrong, please clarify.
and thanks for your engagement and activity. This isn't the first time to learn from you something new.

Mahmoudfawzy83 , DmitryFarber , here, stated what I consider the best "rule":
use all five choices to determine the intended meaning.

I will give you three examples that I found quickly (read: there may be better examples, but these will suffice).

The questions I mention below can be found from this directory page.
Click on the title that I reference.
On the new page, find the question number.
When you click on the link, the question's topic thread opens.

In OG 2018, look at SC #741 (in which A's meaning is nonsensical and opposite from that intended)
and at SC #781 (in which option A's logic is both incredibly confusing and not the intended meaning)

If you have access to the Official Guide Verbal Review 2019, look at SC #213, in which the author of the OE writes,
"It is difficult to tell which parts of this sentence go together because of errors and confusion in [Option A]."

Spoiler alert, correct answer to official question revealed:
About the correct answer, the author writes, "In this sentence, the meaning is clearer . . ."
Part of that OE is here.

In short, the correct answer tells us the intended meaning.
Sure, if option A is garbled and illogical, we can try to infer the meaning from the errors.
But option A is not the intended meaning.

Hope that analysis helps. :)

—Roald Dahl

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2019, 12:45
daagh wrote:
Will somebody confirm whether this question is from Stacey's Manhattan Prep Company or the other Manhattan Review company?

parth647 , a belated welcome to GMAT Club!

I have seen this pair of sentences before, but I do not recall in which book.
I think the sentences were in the book I linked to below.

Did you use this book,
whose title is described by "The Manhattan Prep GMAT" site as Sentence Correction Strategy Guide, 6th Edition?

—Roald Dahl

GMAT Club Bot
Re: She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2019, 12:45

She is the most dedicated gardener on the block, [u]every day watering

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap