It is currently 25 Jul 2017, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I do an MBA? (or why do I want to go for an MBA)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Should I do an MBA? (or why do I want to go for an MBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 08:58
I'm 28, male, Software Engineer from India. I did my undergrad in Computer Science from a Tier-3 institute and obtained less-than average GPA. Then I went for masters at one of the top institutes (GPA 3.48/4) and have been working for the past two years. Today I just completed two years in the industry and I've been enjoying my work in the second company.

During undergrad, I've been active in extra-curricular activities, have been student chairperson of one of the student bodies, and have experience organizing several college-events. Post-masters, I've given talks at several meetups and conducted a couple of one-day workshops in local colleges. Meanwhile there have been short entrepreneurship stints that didn't work out.

I've been reading several books related to marketing, social psychology, leadership, behavioral economics etc. These are the topics I genuinely find interest in. Whenever I have serious discussions with close friends and a couple of friends I made in my international trips, I'm always asked this question - Why didn't you go for an MBA?

I hold the answer under my breath - I wanted to, but things just kept running in a good direction and I didn't give it a serious thought.

There are a few questions in my mind:
  • Do you think I can present a suitable profile for a good MBA program?
  • How are the finances managed? Is it something to worry about?
  • How would my profile presents me in front of the admission committee?
  • Should I, really, go for an MBA?

As I read through profile evaluation sections I begin to worry about how less I've accomplished compared to all you folks who target top institutes. I still have to make up my mind before I seriously begin thinking of spending time, effort and resources to prepare for GMAT.

I'm seeking honest comments from you guys that would help me make up my mind and later serve as a base for my personal statement :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I do an MBA? (or why do I want to go for an MBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 09:45
This post received
KUDOS
I will try my best to answer your queries although i am not an expert.
Moving straight to your questions:

Do you think I can present a suitable profile for a good MBA program?
Definitely. Your profile has a good mix of everything. Work experience, extra curricular, entrepreneurship etc. More over i think you have the best thing one can is i.e. eagerness and drive to learn more. Don't worry too much about the profile. You are good to go.

How are the finances managed? Is it something to worry about?
Finances depend on various factors. Location, school, scholarship etc. So you have to think where do you want to go and what do you want to do after MBA.

How would my profile presents me in front of the admission committee?
I think it is too early to think about it. If you are thinking about MBA now, then you will definitely not able to apply for R1 at least. And realistically i think,
you should apply for 2019 class (if you decide to got for it). During this period you have a lot of time to further work on your profile and make it better.

Should I, really, go for an MBA?
Ideally this is a question that you should answer rather than anyone else. People here can only help you clear any doubt you might have regarding the process, preparation etc. Should or should not, you should answer.

All the best!!

+1 Kudos if you like the answer
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
I'll zero in on the Should I, really, go for an MBA? because those questions can be answered better by admission consultants. Maybe you should check out the other threads where people post to get free reviews! :D

I think before you start thinking of an MBA as an end goal for achievement, think about what do you want to achieve later down the line. Once you have crystalized that idea, ask yourself whether an MBA will make that achievement easier or faster to achieve. An MBA is supposed to help you and not cripple you with debt. It's just a means to an end. Being in the subject is great, but knowing what to do with these knowledge will help you decide whether going for an MBA will help you or not.

My GMAT Journey From 550 - 740

My application debrief to Kellogg '19

My MBA Blog

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 21:08
Mimster wrote:
think about what do you want to achieve later down the line

Though I don't have a very well-defined thoughts on this, I have some idea about the fields I'm interested in and the kind of roles I want to seek later. Spending time in tech after an MS I saw that software industry doesn't really offer you positions in your area of interest unless you have atleast few years of experience and are an expert in one particular technology stack. I hope things are a little different after B-school.

Thanks for the reply. I'm yet to make my mind more firm that I want to jump into this.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 21:10
gmati3 wrote:

Definitely. Your profile has a good mix of everything. Work experience, extra curricular, entrepreneurship etc. More over i think you have the best thing one can is i.e. eagerness and drive to learn more. Don't worry too much about the profile. You are good to go.

Finances depend on various factors. Location, school, scholarship etc. So you have to think where do you want to go and what do you want to do after MBA.

I think it is too early to think about it. If you are thinking about MBA now, then you will definitely not able to apply for R1 at least. And realistically i think,
you should apply for 2019 class (if you decide to got for it). During this period you have a lot of time to further work on your profile and make it better.

Ideally this is a question that you should answer rather than anyone else. People here can only help you clear any doubt you might have regarding the process, preparation etc. Should or should not, you should answer.

All the best!!

Thanks a lot. Your comments are very motivating I think I'll have clearer thoughts after spending a few more days actively reading and posting on this forum.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 07:24
adiejosh wrote:
gmati3 wrote:

All the best!!

Thanks a lot. Your comments are very motivating I think I'll have clearer thoughts after spending a few more days actively reading and posting on this forum.

Yes this forum will definitely help you a lot in your studies.
All the best and keep pushing towards your goal.
Re: Should I do an MBA? (or why do I want to go for an MBA)   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2017, 07:24