GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

should I retake GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
should I retake GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 04:48
i got done with GMAT couple of hours ago. score is 730 Q49 V40 IR8, however i am quite positive that i screwed AWA very bad. it was the last section that i attempted and i'm afraid i may get a below average(or even worse) score in it. my question is how much bearing does AWA score has on adcom decisions?
i'm applying to Cambridge Judge R2 and Oxford Said R2. If i retake GMAT I'll miss round two deadlines of both these schools. I'm Indian male, 6+ yrs exp in construction with below average gpa, what would be the best course of action for me?
Sia Admissions Representative
S
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: should I retake GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 06:31
Hi nate2018,

Congrats on a 730 GMAT score! If you know that you cannot manage both, retaking the GMAT and submitting strong application material before R2 deadline, then I recommend you keep the score as is and move forward with your applications. While the AWA score is not unimportant, Q, V, and IR carry more weight. The AWA is viewed in relation to your writing abilities; the b-schools want to know that you can express yourself in written form.

I am happy to continue the conversation; if interested, please click here to coordinate a call.

Good luck!

nate2018 wrote:
i got done with GMAT couple of hours ago. score is 730 Q49 V40 IR8, however i am quite positive that i screwed AWA very bad. it was the last section that i attempted and i'm afraid i may get a below average(or even worse) score in it. my question is how much bearing does AWA score has on adcom decisions?
i'm applying to Cambridge Judge R2 and Oxford Said R2. If i retake GMAT I'll miss round two deadlines of both these schools. I'm Indian male, 6+ yrs exp in construction with below average gpa, what would be the best course of action for me?

Sia Admissions
info@siaadmissions.com
+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a free consultation

Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 19:38
If you're only worried about the AWA, I wouldn't worry about retaking it, especially if it's going to take time away from work on your applications. The adcom doesn't really care about AWA and a 730 is solid. What will matter more than improving an AWA score is making sure your essays are as strong as possible & you can do your best work in time for the deadlines.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 09:02
JonAdmissionado wrote:
If you're only worried about the AWA, I wouldn't worry about retaking it, especially if it's going to take time away from work on your applications. The adcom doesn't really care about AWA and a 730 is solid. What will matter more than improving an AWA score is making sure your essays are as strong as possible & you can do your best work in time for the deadlines.

thank you for taking out the time to reply. i just got my AWA score, its 2.5(3 %ile).
should i explain this in the optional essay?
i already had something in mind for the optional essay, hope it doesn't becomes too cluttered.

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 16:19
No, I would not address it in the optional essay. It will only draw attention to it & there is really nothing to say about it - you risk sounding like you are making excuses.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 02:25
Hi,
I took the GMAT last year and scored a 710 (Q49, V36). Prepped for 3 months this time and scored the same 710 again although with a different split (Q50,V37). Should I consider retaking again or proceed to strengthen other aspects of my profile?
Targeting the top 15 B schools.

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 00:19
stolenjellybeans wrote:
Hi,
I took the GMAT last year and scored a 710 (Q49, V36). Prepped for 3 months this time and scored the same 710 again although with a different split (Q50,V37). Should I consider retaking again or proceed to strengthen other aspects of my profile?
Targeting the top 15 B schools.

Are the numbers correct? Seems weird same overall score but increase in both quant and verbal.
Would recommend that you move forward - consider taking TOEFL to show verbal abilities even if not required. Make sure to do a good job on video essays.
Quant score is solid and that is the one that is most important unless you are intl - must show you can communicate effectively.
if you do an effective job on the recs/CV/app boxes and essays you could get into top 20; top 15 a bit reachy but I think spending more time at the exclusion of doing a stellar job on your apps is very risky. I work with applicants who got dinged without interview who had 780 GMAT all the time.
if your app is ineffective you will get dinged.

These are my standards:

What does a good application look like?________________________________________

Resume: Every single word has a purpose. It uses universal language instead of industry jargon. It contains resume bullets that are one line, focusing on actions and quantifiable achievements. If not a quantifiable achievement, something that speaks to human motivations, such as saving time and improving a process. Anyone from any industry would be able to step into your resume, and comprehend the value of what you have done. There is space to breathe on the page. It has white space, and the reader feels good when they look at it. It looks inviting. It has simple elegance.

Essays: The essays use anecdotes and examples that are written in chronological order. The reader can mentally see the story unfold. The story is told in brief sentences in a way that is accessible to a broad audience. Each essay shows a different side of you, yet all of them feel authentic, sincere, and accessible. They demonstrate self-awareness, personal growth, leadership and results-orientation. You reach the reader on both an analytical and emotional level.

Letters of recommendation: The recommender can “see” you – see the uniqueness of you – and articulate that eloquently. The letter is comprised chiefly of clear, specific anecdotes that point to your talents in the area of problem-solving, teamwork, leadership, communication and innovation. The reader is emotionally moved by the content and, ideally, wants to champion you to the adcom in quite the same way as the writer.

Online application: Twitter on steroids. Elevator pitch. Distills valuable information about you clearly and succinctly. Everything illustrates qualities that business schools value – strategic thinking, results orientation, etc. Employment section gives the reader a clear, succinct understanding of the experience you’ve gained, employing simple, universal language. The activities and awards point to the overall brand that you set forth in other aspects of the application.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: should I retake GMAT? &nbs [#permalink] 04 Nov 2018, 00:19

should I retake GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap