GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jan 2019, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 10:58
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the correct thread..

Have given GMAT last year with no proper preparation scored 520.. this year after proper preparation giving MGmat scoring 560,580,570,580,520,580.. in 6 tests... Did revisions and went for Gmat ... Wishing to score around 650... But unfortunately scored 430.. found verbal to be harder than MGmat, but still attempted.. one long RC took random guess as lost time previously... And then continued... Was feeling ok.. but score was Q41(39) v5(15) ... .. can I try to attempt it back in 16 days.. I feel I went on a wrong track in verbal..I don't think I might be so bad at verbal or maybe it was the pressure of exam... I feel I am bad at attempting SC...but not at RC or CR ..but this time it was terrible... I took more time initially while attempting.. Does time taken on each question also affect the score badly..

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 13353
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 12:07
Hi rpradhan1991,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. While you may have just had a 'bad day' when you scored 430 - and maybe your current 'ability level' is around 560 - raising a 560 to the point that could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Unfortunately, retesting in just 16 days will likely NOT be enough time for you to properly train to earn that type of higher Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take your 2 Official GMAT and your practice CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your GMATs/CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 89
CAT Tests
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 12:36
rpradhan1991 wrote:
Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the correct thread..

Have given GMAT last year with no proper preparation scored 520.. this year after proper preparation giving MGmat scoring 560,580,570,580,520,580.. in 6 tests... Did revisions and went for Gmat ... Wishing to score around 650... But unfortunately scored 430.. found verbal to be harder than MGmat, but still attempted.. one long RC took random guess as lost time previously... And then continued... Was feeling ok.. but score was Q41(39) v5(15) ... .. can I try to attempt it back in 16 days.. I feel I went on a wrong track in verbal..I don't think I might be so bad at verbal or maybe it was the pressure of exam... I feel I am bad at attempting SC...but not at RC or CR ..but this time it was terrible... I took more time initially while attempting.. Does time taken on each question also affect the score badly..

Posted from my mobile device


I'll suggest you to restart from the basics. And practice a lot of questions,starting from easy, quickly moving to medium and then to difficult. Don't just solve questions, try to learn from every question. After giving proper time to prep then only go for even mock test. Then try to improve your speed as well as build strategy for exam...

Please give kudos.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 12:54
1
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rpradhan1991,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. While you may have just had a 'bad day' when you scored 430 - and maybe your current 'ability level' is around 560 - raising a 560 to the point that could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Unfortunately, retesting in just 16 days will likely NOT be enough time for you to properly train to earn that type of higher Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take your 2 Official GMAT and your practice CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your GMATs/CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Uday,
Had prepared well for a year , on and off but was not giving mocks , also was not touching verbal... Unfortunately got my hands on Manhattan prep series in around Nov and completed all the quant series.Also went through sentence correction series not the advanced section and started giving mocks.. so I was testing SC in mocks itself.... Here not good at grammar so always running from SC... RC and CR I am just taking time that is what I have understood..

Am a part of TATA group so wanted to give a try to TAS.. but unfortunately neither last year nor this year would be able to qualify for it.. as last day to submit scores is 4th Feb..

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 89
CAT Tests
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 13:03
1
rpradhan1991 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rpradhan1991,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. While you may have just had a 'bad day' when you scored 430 - and maybe your current 'ability level' is around 560 - raising a 560 to the point that could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Unfortunately, retesting in just 16 days will likely NOT be enough time for you to properly train to earn that type of higher Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take your 2 Official GMAT and your practice CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your GMATs/CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Uday,
Had prepared well for a year , on and off but was not giving mocks , also was not touching verbal... Unfortunately got my hands on Manhattan prep series in around Nov and completed all the quant series.Also went through sentence correction series not the advanced section and started giving mocks.. so I was testing SC in mocks itself.... Here not good at grammar so always running from SC... RC and CR I am just taking time that is what I have understood..

Am a part of TATA group so wanted to give a try to TAS.. but unfortunately neither last year nor this year would be able to qualify for it.. as last day to submit scores is 4th Feb..

Posted from my mobile device

How much score do you need for TAS??

And which company of tcs are you in, currently?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 89
CAT Tests
Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 13:12
1
rpradhan1991 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rpradhan1991,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. While you may have just had a 'bad day' when you scored 430 - and maybe your current 'ability level' is around 560 - raising a 560 to the point that could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Unfortunately, retesting in just 16 days will likely NOT be enough time for you to properly train to earn that type of higher Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take your 2 Official GMAT and your practice CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your GMATs/CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Uday,
Had prepared well for a year , on and off but was not giving mocks , also was not touching verbal... Unfortunately got my hands on Manhattan prep series in around Nov and completed all the quant series.Also went through sentence correction series not the advanced section and started giving mocks.. so I was testing SC in mocks itself.... Here not good at grammar so always running from SC... RC and CR I am just taking time that is what I have understood..

Am a part of TATA group so wanted to give a try to TAS.. but unfortunately neither last year nor this year would be able to qualify for it.. as last day to submit scores is 4th Feb..

Posted from my mobile device



For SC, you do not need to be perfect at grammer. Sentence just need to make sense. Check for that only.
And notice that 2-3 options usually have same kind of error in SC. Thus, elimination work well in it..if you can find 1 error, you can eliminate 2-3 options without even careful reading.

Same thing is with CR. It just need to make sense.

And in RC... Do not find answer in the passage. Firstly understand the passage, then go for answers. Remember, they want to check your comprehension.

Please give kudos.. I need them
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 23:23
1
UdayPratapSingh99 wrote:
rpradhan1991 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rpradhan1991,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. While you may have just had a 'bad day' when you scored 430 - and maybe your current 'ability level' is around 560 - raising a 560 to the point that could consistently score 650+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Unfortunately, retesting in just 16 days will likely NOT be enough time for you to properly train to earn that type of higher Score.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take your 2 Official GMAT and your practice CATs/mocks? How have you scored on EACH of your GMATs/CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Uday,
Had prepared well for a year , on and off but was not giving mocks , also was not touching verbal... Unfortunately got my hands on Manhattan prep series in around Nov and completed all the quant series.Also went through sentence correction series not the advanced section and started giving mocks.. so I was testing SC in mocks itself.... Here not good at grammar so always running from SC... RC and CR I am just taking time that is what I have understood..

Am a part of TATA group so wanted to give a try to TAS.. but unfortunately neither last year nor this year would be able to qualify for it.. as last day to submit scores is 4th Feb..

Posted from my mobile device

How much score do you need for TAS??

And which company of tcs are you in, currently?



Require 650 to clear cutoff.. For verbal also noticed seeing the tough RC's my mind started wavering..
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 89
CAT Tests
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 23:44
rpradhan1991 wrote:

Require 650 to clear cutoff.. For verbal also noticed seeing the tough RC's my mind started wavering..


650+ is practicable within the time you have to apply for this dream job. Try to learn the approach. SC is more of Sentence structure than grammar. Start with SC as it will help you in CR and RC, similarly CR helps in RC, so go for RC at the end. While learning do not restrict yourself in timings, rather try to learn how sentences are structured. Do not, contrary to what you must have always heard, jump into the mock tests before your concepts are strong. Read every single word of the OG.
Simultaneously, I"ll suggest you, a book, by Norman Lewis "How to read better and faster" . It's kind of training in reading, but as you have very less time, Do no take too much to finish this book or waste anywhere else.

Start This way, and than tell, after 2-3 days, if you feel any improvement. Just remember, first thing in verbal is to understand , exactly what message, sentence or passage want to convey. If you can't do this, GMAT will be a nightmare, and if you can do this, you can score 700+ easily before feb 4. Don't forget to give Kudos ;)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2019
Posts: 7
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 00:12
I think 16 days is too short a time span for a considerable improvement in the score. Further practice would require atleast 45 -60 days of rigorous work.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 89
CAT Tests
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 00:20
MS6971 wrote:
I think 16 days is too short a time span for a considerable improvement in the score. Further practice would require atleast 45 -60 days of rigorous work.


Posted from my mobile device

He want to score 650+ and not 750+.
People have done even 750+ in a month.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 89
CAT Tests
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 01:10
Remember, If you're scoring 580 in MGMAT, you're already 600+, as scoring in MGMAT is slightly tough. try some other exam also, to get better idea of your level, preferably GMAT Prep.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 4551
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 17:36
Hi rpradhan1991,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Since you recently scored 460 (despite having a bad day), it’s clear that you do not have the GMAT quant and verbal fundamentals you need for a 650 score, right? Rather than setting yourself up for failure by retaking the GMAT in just two weeks, consider slowing down your study process to give yourself the time you need to truly improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills. I’m happy to provide some detailed advice on how to improve those skills, so if you’d like further help crafting your study plan, feel free to reach back out. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following articles about the phases of preparing for the GMAT and how long to study for the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650 &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jan 2019, 17:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Should I take retest in 16 days ? For 650

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.