GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecos

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecos  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 15:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:17) correct 54% (01:12) wrong based on 260 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of riparian mammals in the Pacific Northwest has increased considerably.

(A) Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of riparian mammals

(B) Since the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver have been discovered, the number of riparian mammals

(C) Because the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver have been discovered, the total riparian mammal number

(D) With the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of known riparian mammals

(E) With the discovery of the Tufted Badger, as well as other species, in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of riparian mammals

On the GMAT SC, logic is at least as important as grammar: if an answer choice is 100% grammatically correct but logically flawed, it is wrong. The GMAT SC questions present quite a wide variety of logical splits. For a detailed discussion, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
Logical Splits on GMAT Sentence Correction

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 530 Q33 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecos  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 18:12
Could you please explain why D is the right answer ?

Posted from my mobile device

Jat

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecos  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 20:03
Quote:

D is indeed the correct answer: With the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of known riparian mammals

REASONING: the intent of this sentence is to convey that the KNOWN number of riparian mammals has INCREASED. please note that there is NO CAUSALITY in the TWO EVENTS that are mentioned. The "Tufted Badger and other species" WERE ALREADY there in nature BUT it is just that they were NOT REGISTERED as "riparian mammals" EARLIER.

"SINCE" in option A gives a notion of TIMELINE--->this is not intended
"SINCE" in option B gives a notion of CAUSALITY---> not intended
"BECAUSE" in option C gives a notion of CAUSALITY ---->not intended
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 22:09
mikemcgarry wrote:
Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of riparian mammals in the Pacific Northwest has increased considerably.

(A) Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of riparian mammals

(B) Since the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver have been discovered, the number of riparian mammals

(C) Because the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver have been discovered, the total riparian mammal number

(D) With the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of known riparian mammals

(E) With the discovery of the Tufted Badger, as well as other species, in the ecosystems outside Vancouver, the number of riparian mammals

On the GMAT SC, logic is at least as important as grammar: if an answer choice is 100% grammatically correct but logically flawed, it is wrong. The GMAT SC questions present quite a wide variety of logical splits. For a detailed discussion, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
Logical Splits on GMAT Sentence Correction

This question checks the logic ... " the number of riparian mammals " vs " the number of known riparian mammals "

Because Gmat prefers less ambiguous and more particular answers, D is right answer .

Please give me kudos, if this explanation is helpful to you.

Sent from my Le X507 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

way to victory .....

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2016, 10:28
Jat wrote:

Dear Jat,

I see that Nick90 already gave an intelilgent answer to your question. My friend, I will point out that in the original post, I provided a link, noting that the OE I had written was at this link. Then you posted next, asking for an OE. You were asking for what was already provided. My friend, do you see how your course of action on this question could be interpreted as demonstrating a lack of responsibility for your own success? I am pointing this out because I want to see you be as successful as possible. Excellence on the GMAT is achieved only by those folks who take deep responsibility for their own performance, who are alacritous in exploring every possibility for advancement. Many students labor under the misapprehension that "education" is something that teachers & tutors & expert do to them, and they mistakenly assume a passive role in the learning process. In fact, education is something you do by yourself, for yourself, and on your own. Teachers & tutors & experts are more than happy to provide support, but your learning process is 100% your responsibility. My friend, many students do not realize this and then do not understand why they are disappointed with their eventual results. Your success is directly dependent on your ability to assume powerful and mature initiative in your learning process. If you can bring a high degree of excellence to every step of your learning, your chances for an excellent performance on the GMAT increase considerably. That is exactly what I want for you, my friend. :-)

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 01:50

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 12:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
Education is something you do by yourself, for yourself, and on your own.

Very esoteric insight. Good learning for us.

Posted from my mobile device

Hasan Mahmud

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 01:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecos &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 01:39

Since the discovery of the Tufted Badger and other species in the ecos

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap