Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [15]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [5]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [2]
Given Kudos: 2265
Schools: HBS '22
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GRE 1: Q168 V164
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The maximum number of arrangement with 1 red, 1 blue and 1 green in first row is (3!) =6
The maximum number of arrangement with 1 red, 1 blue and 1 green in second row is (3!) =6

The maximum number of arrangement with only each color appearing once in each row is 6*6 =36. i.e. first row*second row = 36

With the restrictive conditions applied of the same color not on each column
Looking at the options we already know that only option A could be the answer, because it is the only option that is less than 36. Hence option A = 12 is the answer.

There will be repetitions 2/3 of the time and no repetition 1/3 of the time. 1/3 of 36 = 12

All conditions possible are:

BRG
RGB

BRG
GBR

RGB
GBR

RGB
BRG

GBR
BRG

GBR
RGB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]
Let's fix the first row of marble as R B G
Possible ways to arrange the first row= 3! = 6

Second row can be- B G R or G R B
Second row can be arranged in 2 ways

Therefore, total possibilities= 6 * 2 = 12

Correct Answer= A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:

GST Week 6 Day 3 Veritas Prep Question 3

Give your best shot at writing a top notch explanation and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two rows of three such that no single row or column has two marbles of the same color. How many different arrangements are possible?

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

let the position be
XYZ
ABC

X can take any of three colours - 3
Y can take any of remaining 2 - 2
Z can take the last one - 1
A can take any of 2 except the one at X - 2
B can take ONLY 1

similarly C will take 1

total 3*2*1*2*1*1=12
A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Give your best shot at writing a top notch explanation and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two rows of three such that no single row or column has two marbles of the same color. How many different arrangements are possible?

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

The correct answer is option A.

Here is why:
Since no row has two marbles of the same color it can a permutation of R, B and G.
So, for the first row will be 3C1 ways i.e. 6.

Now lets assume one possiblity as R, B, G. The subsequent row can only two possible combinations i.e. G ,R, B or B, G,R

So 6 ways to arrange the first row * 2 ways to arrange the second row = 12

Hence A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 269
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
3 colors to be place in a row
3! ways
no of rows 2
so 3!x2= 12

A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

There could be two approaches primarily- 1) Using combinatorics- there are 3 colors,two balls/color- RED=2,Blue=2 and Green=2

Now, there could be 2 options of choosing where to place the first ball i.e Row1 or Row2=2C1
There would be 3 options of choosing the first color- i.e. R,B,G=3C1
if we have chosen the 1st color, 2nd and 3rd color has to be different i.e. let's say if we chose Red, We would have only B and green to be selected=2C1(1 out of 2) and 1C1 subsequently

Hence total number of ways=2C1*3C1*2C1*1C1=12

2) There could be 3! possibilities of arranging a Red, a green and 1 Blue ball

RBG,RGB,BGR,BRG,GRB and GBR.

Now if we select any one of the 6 given combinations for row 1, we would only be able to select 1 out of 2 remaining combinations for Row 2( i.e for RGB in Row 1, we can select BRG and GBR only=> remaining combinations would have atleast one of the three colors in same position in column e.g. if we select GRB, Blue color will be same in 1st and 2nd row- not allowed )= 6*2=12 or 2 options for RGB OR 2Option for RBG etc.....2+2-----6 times=12

Please give kudos if it makes sense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [0]
Send PM
Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

souvik101990
I am the winner of the question. How do I redeem the GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep? Thank you very much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [0]
Send PM
What is the reward for GST - GMAT Spring Training 2018? Is it just the GMAT Club Tests or does the reward include the GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey houston1980

If you are the winner for this question, then will get the GMATClub subscription.

If you are the overall winner for the entire week, then you will get the partner award.

Hope this helps
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

Let’s let the first marble in row 1 be R. We see that one possible layout of the two rows is:

R-B-G
B-G-R

Keeping row 1 the same, the only other way to create row 2 is:

R-B-G
G-R-B

Now, let’s keep R in first position in row 1; we see that we could now have R-G-B as row 1. Using a similar strategy as we did above, we see that there are two possible ways to create row 2: either B-R-G or G-B-R.

We see that when R is in first position of row 1, there are four different marble arrangements that satisfy the stated requirements. Similarly, when G is in first position in row 1, we will obtain four different marble arrangements, and when B is in first position in row 1, we will obtain an additional four different marble arrangements.

Thus, the total number of arrangements is 4 + 4 + 4 = 12.

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Hello,

I'm apologizing in advance if this is a stupid question, however how does this problem differ from this one:

"Three couples are seated in two rows of three seats. If no row or column of seats contains both members of a couple, how many possible arrangements are there?"

Is the fact that we're dealing with indistringuishable marbles what is driving the difference in permutations? It's not clear why we're not treating them as 6 different marbles.

Thank you,
Chris
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9240 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Clycos wrote:
I'm apologizing in advance if this is a stupid question, however how does this problem differ from this one:

"Three couples are seated in two rows of three seats. If no row or column of seats contains both members of a couple, how many possible arrangements are there?"

Is the fact that we're dealing with indistringuishable marbles what is driving the difference in permutations? It's not clear why we're not treating them as 6 different marbles.

I guess no one ever answered this question, but I will now in case anyone else has it. Yes, the two problems are different, because with 6 people, all of the people are different. In this marbles problem, the two red marbles are identical. So in the marbles problem, we only have 3 choices for the first spot in the first row, 2 for the next in the row, 1 for the last, then in the second row we have just 2 choices for the first slot (it can't match the first row), and 1 for the remaining slots, and the answer is 3*2*1*2 = 12. For the couples problem, we have 6 choices for the first slot in the first row, 4 for the next (we can't repeat the same person or use their partner), and 2 for the last, then moving to the next row we only have 2 people left who can fit the first slot, and no choice about the last two slots, and the answer is 6*4*2*2 = 96.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

What if I do 6c1*4c1*2c1 for the first row? Where am I going wrong Bunuel souvik101990 KarishmaB
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitapugalia wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

What if I do 6c1*4c1*2c1 for the first row? Where am I going wrong Bunuel souvik101990 KarishmaB

6C1 doesn't make sense because we don't have 6 distinct marbles. Both red marbles are the same, both blue are the same and both green are the same.
Hence you have pairs of 3 distinct marbles. Hence you don't need to make any selection. You need to put a Red, a green and a blue in the first row.
So you can arrange Red, Blue, Green in the first row in 3! ways. (Say you put them as RGB)

For the second row, below Red, you can put either Blue or Green so 2 options. Now there is only 1 way of placing the remaining two marbles.

Hence, total 3! * 2 = 12 arrangements

Answer (A)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1614
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
ankitapugalia wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

6C1 doesn't make sense because we don't have 6 distinct marbles. Both red marbles are the same, both blue are the same and both green are the same.
Hence you have pairs of 3 distinct marbles. Hence you don't need to make any selection. You need to put a Red, a green and a blue in the first row.
So you can arrange Red, Blue, Green in the first row in 3! ways. (Say you put them as RGB)

For the second row, below Red, you can put either Blue or Green so 2 options. Now there is only 1 way of placing the remaining two marbles.

Hence, total 3! * 2 = 12 arrangements

Answer (A)

Thanks a lot KarishmaB. This is very helpful. What if I do 2c1*2c1*2c1 for the first row. Will it be wrong? We can't do this because again the 2 marbles are not distinct? I am getting really confused with some of the questions.

Originally posted by Krishnahelps on 09 Aug 2023, 23:40.
Last edited by Krishnahelps on 09 Aug 2023, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankitapugalia wrote:
Thanks a lot KarishmaB. This is very helpful. What if I do 2c1*2c1*2c1 for the first row. Will it be wrong? Here I am not doing any permutation. How do I do permutation in such cases. I am getting really confused with some of the questions.

Think about why you would use 2C1. Do you have to select a red marble out of given two distinct red marbles? No. Both marbles are the same. You may pick any and nothing would change. Hence no selection is required.

If you are not sure when to use permutations and when to use combinations, check my following two videos on permutations and combinations here:
https://youtu.be/LFnLKx06EMU
https://youtu.be/tUPJhcUxllQ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3963 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Given: Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two rows of three such that no single row or column has two marbles of the same color.

Asked: How many different arrangements are possible?

Let us assume the arrangement in the form: -

A B C
D E F

Number of options for A = 3
Number of options for B = 2
Number of options for C = 1
Number of options for A = 2
Number of options for A = 1
Number of options for A = 1

Total number of possible arrangements = 3*2*1*2 = 12

IMO A
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts