GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 00:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:16) correct 32% (01:53) wrong based on 92 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GST Week 6 Day 3 Veritas Prep Question 3

Give your best shot at writing a top notch explanation and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two rows of three such that no single row or column has two marbles of the same color. How many different arrangements are possible?

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 00:32
souvik101990 wrote:

Give your best shot at writing a top notch explanation and you will have the chance to win GMAT Club tests daily and GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep. See the GMAT Spring Training Thread for all details

Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two rows of three such that no single row or column has two marbles of the same color. How many different arrangements are possible?

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

Lets first fix the first row to be R - B - G and see the possibilities in the next 2 ROWS

R - B - G
B - G - R
G - R - B

And

R - B - G
G - R - B
B - G - R

So there are 2 cases, when we fix the first row. But the first row itself can be arranged in 3! i.e. 6 ways

Now, from one of the example shown above, we know there are 2 possibilities/ fixed row

Therefore, there will be 12 possibilities when there are 6 fixed rows

Answer is A

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: HBS '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GRE 1: 332 Q164 V168
GPA: 3.57
CAT Tests
Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 01:00
The maximum number of arrangement with 1 red, 1 blue and 1 green in first row is (3!) =6
The maximum number of arrangement with 1 red, 1 blue and 1 green in second row is (3!) =6

The maximum number of arrangement with only each color appearing once in each row is 6*6 =36. i.e. first row*second row = 36

With the restrictive conditions applied of the same color not on each column
Looking at the options we already know that only option A could be the answer, because it is the only option that is less than 36. Hence option A = 12 is the answer.

There will be repetitions 2/3 of the time and no repetition 1/3 of the time. 1/3 of 36 = 12

All conditions possible are:

BRG
RGB

BRG
GBR

RGB
GBR

RGB
BRG

GBR
BRG

GBR
RGB

Kindly press the +1Kudos if you like the explanation. Thanks a lot!!!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 01:12
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

let the position be
A.....B....C
D.....E....F

now A can take any of three colours - 3 colours
B can take any of remaining 2 - 2 colours
C can take the last one - 1 colour
D can take any of 2 except the one at A - 2 colours
E can take ONLY 1
since if D is the SAME as B, E has to be same as C otherwise C and F will be same colour. And if D is like C, E can be ONLY A
similarly F will take 1

total 3*2*1*2*1*1=12
A

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 01:19
Let's fix the first row of marble as R B G
Possible ways to arrange the first row= 3! = 6

Second row can be- B G R or G R B
Second row can be arranged in 2 ways

Therefore, total possibilities= 6 * 2 = 12

Correct Answer= A

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 03:55
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

let the position be
XYZ
ABC

X can take any of three colours - 3
Y can take any of remaining 2 - 2
Z can take the last one - 1
A can take any of 2 except the one at X - 2
B can take ONLY 1

similarly C will take 1

total 3*2*1*2*1*1=12
A
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 04:31
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

The correct answer is option A.

Here is why:
Since no row has two marbles of the same color it can a permutation of R, B and G.
So, for the first row will be 3C1 ways i.e. 6.

Now lets assume one possiblity as R, B, G. The subsequent row can only two possible combinations i.e. G ,R, B or B, G,R

So 6 ways to arrange the first row * 2 ways to arrange the second row = 12

Hence A.
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 05:08
3 colors to be place in a row
3! ways
no of rows 2
so 3!x2= 12

A
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 04:06
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

There could be two approaches primarily- 1) Using combinatorics- there are 3 colors,two balls/color- RED=2,Blue=2 and Green=2

Now, there could be 2 options of choosing where to place the first ball i.e Row1 or Row2=2C1
There would be 3 options of choosing the first color- i.e. R,B,G=3C1
if we have chosen the 1st color, 2nd and 3rd color has to be different i.e. let's say if we chose Red, We would have only B and green to be selected=2C1(1 out of 2) and 1C1 subsequently

Hence total number of ways=2C1*3C1*2C1*1C1=12

2) There could be 3! possibilities of arranging a Red, a green and 1 Blue ball

RBG,RGB,BGR,BRG,GRB and GBR.

Now if we select any one of the 6 given combinations for row 1, we would only be able to select 1 out of 2 remaining combinations for Row 2( i.e for RGB in Row 1, we can select BRG and GBR only=> remaining combinations would have atleast one of the three colors in same position in column e.g. if we select GRB, Blue color will be same in 1st and 2nd row- not allowed )= 6*2=12 or 2 options for RGB OR 2Option for RBG etc.....2+2-----6 times=12

Please give kudos if it makes sense
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2018, 06:35
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

souvik101990
I am the winner of the question. How do I redeem the GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep? Thank you very much.

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 00:04
What is the reward for GST - GMAT Spring Training 2018? Is it just the GMAT Club Tests or does the reward include the GMAT On-Demand Prep by Veritas Prep?

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 10:16
Hey houston1980

If you are the winner for this question, then will get the GMATClub subscription.

If you are the overall winner for the entire week, then you will get the partner award.

Hope this helps

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 16:13
souvik101990 wrote:

a. 12

b. 48

c. 96

d. 128

e. 192

Let’s let the first marble in row 1 be R. We see that one possible layout of the two rows is:

R-B-G
B-G-R

Keeping row 1 the same, the only other way to create row 2 is:

R-B-G
G-R-B

Now, let’s keep R in first position in row 1; we see that we could now have R-G-B as row 1. Using a similar strategy as we did above, we see that there are two possible ways to create row 2: either B-R-G or G-B-R.

We see that when R is in first position of row 1, there are four different marble arrangements that satisfy the stated requirements. Similarly, when G is in first position in row 1, we will obtain four different marble arrangements, and when B is in first position in row 1, we will obtain an additional four different marble arrangements.

Thus, the total number of arrangements is 4 + 4 + 4 = 12.

Answer: A

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row   [#permalink] 31 May 2018, 16:13

Six marbles (two red, two blue, and two green) are arranged in two row

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap