GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Skipping one reading passage!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Skipping one reading passage!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 09:58
Hi there! I have a question regarding the strategies of tackling the Verbal section. In my experience I can not fully read all 4 reading passages so that I can answer the questions correctly, I usually don't have much time so I skip most of the part of the passage. Now the question: Is this a good decision to skip one long passage and answer all the questions regarding that passage only by guessing? In my understanding, it will give me more time at least to concentrate on the other three passages and try to answer them correctly, or it is not a wise decision and it will ruin my score? Any thoughts are appreciated. Good luck in your studies and in your final test!!!!
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Skipping one reading passage!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 10:17
Hi merimanukyan
Practically, you won't be able to correctly guess or even find a slightest clue without reading.
You must know that you are attempting a random guessing, with a success rate of 20% in reach question.
In case you answered 4 consecutive questions wrong, you will probably be heavily penalized , and the algorithm will set you in a low score category.
Another risk comes from the fact that you can't predict the difficulty level of the question without reading, so Even with a long RC question, the 4 may be still easy. You will be heavily penalized if you made easy questions wrong.

My advice:
1- try to improve your pace by more training on mock tests.
2- try to implement a smart guessing approach. For example, if you are answering a CR question, try to read the question in a faster pace than usual, this will allow you to eliminate 3 of the 5 choices, and leave you with 2 potentially correct ones. By random choice between them, your success rate is 50%, which is much higher compared to complete random guessing.
3- Another approach is to random guess every 3rd or 4th question to gain some time. However, this idea is a little bit risky because if you already made the previous two questions wrong, a third consecutive wrong answer is what you don't want.
Intern
Intern
B
Skipping one reading passage!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 10:23
Thank you so much for taking the time and answering in such details. Will definitely follow your advice.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: Skipping one reading passage!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 10:29
Even i asked same question previously.Crack verbal and few other good tutors told me not to skip any RC completely.
Do it only if you are super strong in SC and CR.
After RC you can not afford another wrong answer, so dont skip any RC
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Skipping one reading passage!   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 10:29

Skipping one reading passage!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics