GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Feb 2020, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

SMU - Cox ($$$) vs HKUST ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
BSchool Moderator
B
SMU - Cox ($$$) vs HKUST ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 03:34
Hi all,

I need your advice on a decision that I have to make.

I have admits from both SMU - Cox and HKUST.

Points in favour of Cox:

I have a background in Supply chain management and I wish to continue in the same field. SMU Cox is one of the few schools that gives a STEM MBA with a supply chain management focus (as opposed to the usual business analytics focus). Also given the current political situation in HK, I think HK isn’t a very safe option.

Reservations with Cox:
Although the university is pretty well known in the south, it’s reputation is limited to the south alone. The post mba visa H1B is relatively harder in the US compared to the IANG in HK. Also the school is not as well ranked, globally, as HKUST.

Considering all the above factors, I’m more inclined to accept the offer at Cox. I want your opinion if its unwise to chose Cox over HKUST.

Thanks in advance.

Sourav

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: SMU - Cox ($$$) vs HKUST ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 09:22
Congrats on your admits!

Hong Kong is VERY safe. It is much safer than any US city. The economic situation is a different story. The protests have depressed and slowed down some of the hiring and business growth. However, in my experience, few international students who attend HKUST actually stay in HK and most end up going to SE Asia such as Singapore. The reason is that HK still relies on Cantonese and unless you have the language proficiency, it will be hard to recruit for the traditional MBA roles and in addition, the cost of living or rather real estate in HK is too high compared to other options. So I think you are ruling out HKUST for the wrong reasons :-)

You need to answer only one question really - where do you intend to work after graduation? Where do you want to be long term? Once you answer that question, the rest is pretty easy.
Re: SMU - Cox ($$$) vs HKUST ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 11:48
Thanks for the advice, bb. Really appreciate your input.

When I wrote not safe, I meant in terms of post mba job scenarios. I should have been clearer, my bad. I’m also aware of the language proficiency requirement for most standard MBA roles. I was just being stuck up on the reputation of the school, globally. It ranks much higher. I come from a place where rank dictates almost everything about an institute. But I guess I shouldn’t be this narrow and I hope to arrive at a decision soon.

Thanks once again, bb.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: SMU - Cox ($$$) vs HKUST ($)   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2020, 11:48

SMU - Cox ($$$) vs HKUST ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste