GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 79
So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 13:59
1
I've seen several Sentence Correction problems where the answers are split between the use of "so" and the use of "enough". The idea is that there is a right time to use "so" and a right time to use "enough", but they are not interchangeable.

Can anyone provide a brief explanation of the difference between the two?

Also, so far I have only seen problems where the correct response is to use "so". For example:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/technically- ... 68593.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/often-major- ... 74856.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/og-2016-with ... 04264.html

Does anyone have example questions where the correct response is to use "enough"?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 79
Location: India
Schools: Yale '19, GMBA '20, XLRI
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.8
Re: So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 12:19
gmatman1031 wrote:
I've seen several Sentence Correction problems where the answers are split between the use of "so" and the use of "enough". The idea is that there is a right time to use "so" and a right time to use "enough", but they are not interchangeable.

Can anyone provide a brief explanation of the difference between the two?

Also, so far I have only seen problems where the correct response is to use "so". For example:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/technically- ... 68593.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/often-major- ... 74856.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/og-2016-with ... 04264.html

Does anyone have example questions where the correct response is to use "enough"?


Enough is a modifier used either before a noun or after an adjective.

Before a noun : The boys wont have enough time to watch a movie after playing football.
After an adjective: Is the T.V series exciting enough ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 79
Re: So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 17:45
Thanks kanakdaga

Have you seen any practice problems where the correct answer uses "enough"?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 79
Location: India
Schools: Yale '19, GMBA '20, XLRI
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.8
Re: So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 21:09
gmatman1031 wrote:
Thanks kanakdaga

Have you seen any practice problems where the correct answer uses "enough"?


I suggest you download the GMAT CLUB GRAMMAR BOOK. It has loads of examples!

--> Kudos if this helped you :-D ;)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 79
Re: So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 09:30
kanakdaga

This looks like a good resource, but I'm looking for specific questions that use "enough" in the correct answer. Links to questions would be ideal.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 756
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 18:02
gmatman1031 wrote:
kanakdaga

This looks like a good resource, but I'm looking for specific questions that use "enough" in the correct answer. Links to questions would be ideal.


It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but problem 686 in the OG2018 uses 'enough' in all of the answers, including the correct one.

I'd hesitate to say that 'enough' is always wrong. In the example problems you linked, there's always another reason for the 'enough' answer to be wrong, beyond just 'it uses enough'. In some cases, the wrong answer just uses 'enough' incorrectly! For instance, 'The table is big enough so that eight people can sit around it' is wrong ('enough so'), but the alternative, 'The table is big enough that eight people can sit around it', is right.
_________________
Image

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2018, 18:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

So vs Enough (Sentence Correction)

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne