GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 09:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 21:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:08) correct 19% (01:25) wrong based on 293 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional small towns, people used to work and shop in the same town in which they lived, but now that stores and workplaces are located far away from residential areas, people cannot avoid travelling long distances each day. Traffic congestion is so heavy on all roads that, even on major highways, the maximum speed averages only 35 miles per hour.

Which one of the following proposals is most supported by the statements above?

(A) The maximum speed limit on major highways should be increased.

(B) People who now travel on major highways should be encouraged to travel on secondary roads instead.

(C) Residents of the remaining traditional small towns should be encouraged to move to the suburbs.

(D) Drivers who travel well below the maximum speed limit on major highways should be fined.

(E) New businesses should be encouraged to locate closer to where their workers would live.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 05:00
Answer seems to be E, for me.

Something must be done to ease traffic congestion.
(1)In traditional small towns, people used to work and shop in the same town in which they lived, but
(2)now that stores and workplaces are located far away from residential areas, people cannot avoid travelling long distances each day.
(Hence)3)Traffic congestion is so heavy on all roads that, even on major highways, the maximum speed averages only 35 miles per hour.

(E) New businesses should be encouraged to locate closer to where their workers would live.
>>This seems to answer the problem mentioned in point(2).

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 23:48
souvik101990 wrote:
Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional small towns, people used to work and shop in the same town in which they lived, but now that stores and workplaces are located far away from residential areas, people cannot avoid travelling long distances each day. Traffic congestion is so heavy on all roads that, even on major highways, the maximum speed averages only 35 miles per hour.

(A) The maximum speed limit on major highways should be increased.

(B) People who now travel on major highways should be encouraged to travel on secondary roads instead.

(C) Residents of the remaining traditional small towns should be encouraged to move to the suburbs.

(D) Drivers who travel well below the maximum speed limit on major highways should be fined.

Traffic congestion = traffic jam.

Pretend you're driving in a traffic jam. You wish you could go faster, because it's taking FOREVER to get where you're going.

A-->Would it solve the problem if suddenly all the street signs said 70mph instead of 55mph?

Of course not, because you're stuck in traffic! You can only go as fast as the car in front of you.

D-->Would it solve the problem if a cop pulled you over and gave you a ticket for going under 55mph?

Of course not. You say to the cop, "How am I supposed to go 55mph in the midst of a traffic jam? The car in front of me is only creeping forward at 10mph!"

The only thing that's going to fix the problem and let you go faster is if we have more lanes or fewer cars on the road.

(E) is a step towards getting fewer cars on the road. And it reinforces the info we got about what contributed to creating this traffic problem: people used to work and shop locally and now they have to drive farther distances to get to those same destinations.

(B) this would just move the traffic congestion problem from highways to secondary roads.

(C) having MORE people in the suburbs would only ADD cars into the local traffic mix, thereby worsening the problem

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 23:18
generis ammuseeru nightblade354 pikolo2510 GMATNinja

I have a query regarding (C)

Quote:

Argument understanding:
Author is concerned over build up of high traffic because of far-off location
of stores and workplaces from where people live.
Also he supports his concern by saying that the average speed is on lower side
ie 35 mph.

Quote:

Sort of an inference question, but I need to find most effective solution for heavy traffic and
assist in solving author's concern.

Quote:

I rejected this choice since I also need to know what is happening to already existent group of people
who are already facing a tough time traveling back and forth between work and home.

Quote:
E) New businesses should be encouraged to locate closer to where their workers would live.

Perfect !! If new businesses are encouraged to be developed closer to where people live, all
people may have to travel less.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 01:30
I think a much better reasoning to eliminate C would be to think of it this way

More people in suburbs --> more cars in suburbs --> More traffic in suburbs --> This proposal would worsen the existing situation

We want to find a option that tells us a solution. C aggravates the problem whereas E provides a solution for the problem

Hope this helps

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

Re: Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jul 2018, 01:30

Something must be done to ease traffic congestion. In traditional

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap