Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: SOS! 6 days to D-Day, Help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi jeonacivil,

In addition to what Marty has said, you may find it helpful to engage in topical quant and verbal practice.

For example, let’s say that you want to practice Number Properties. You can do so by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc.

After each problem set, thoroughly analyze your incorrect questions. For example, if you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question?

By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to fix your weaknesses efficiently and, in turn, improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant and verbal topics.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jeonacivil,

To start, if you are interested in applying to some highly-competitive Programs, then you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Business Schools generally do not care if you take the GMAT more than once, so having more than one Score on record probably would not impact your applications. If you're concerned though, then on Test Day, you don't have to list any Schools to receive your Official Score Report (although you will have to pay a per-School fee to sent that Report later on).

Assuming that you took your CAT/mocks in a realistic fashion that matches-up with how you will take your Official GMAT, then based on your Scores, you likely have the necessary knowledge to hit 730+. By extension, the adjustments that you have to make to hit your Goal Score likely have more to do with your 'mechanics' than anything else (the Tactics you use, your note-taking, etc.). While you might be tempted to do a lot of studying in these final days before your Exam, you have to be careful about not over-studying at this point (since we do not want you to inadvertently 'burn out' before Test Day). You should limit your studies to general practice and light review (NO CATs and NO 'cramming') - you would be better served by getting some extra rest so that you can go into Test Day calm, clear-headed and ready to work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
got a 710 (Q47/V41).
to push for Verbal

For Verbal, consider working on your solving approach. May help boost your score a bit. Had a 6-hour student go from a V41 to a V45 in about 10 days, for example. Perhaps work with a study buddy with strong Verbal skills.

For Quant, it may be worth checking your error log to see if there are any slippery topics where you might be a bit hit or miss.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you Experts for your great advice. Today was D-Day and guess what?! Somehow I was able to pull off a 750 (Q48/V44)! Not bad for 5 weeks of prep time, I guess.

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for this forum. It is such a great resource. Given the time constraint, as part of my prep, I was only able to skim through the OG questions (17%Q/6%V), sit for 4 PEs (including 1 diagnostic), and review the attempted OG/PE questions on GMATClub. Oh, plus I was able to watch ~10 GMATNinja videos which were an immense help (V35 to V44).

Now, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should spend a few more weeks preparing and give a second shot at GMAT (for 750+), maybe mid-Dec? Or do you think, 750 will suffice? Targeting US Top 10 schools for R2 Jan 2023. I do realize this might be a question for a different forum but figured I'll try here first. Thanks!

bb ScottTargetTestPrep MartyTargetTestPrep
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh my word. Congratulations crazy person ! 😂😂😂 awesome job!

I think 750 will be solid. There are very few reasons to retake that high of a score. Most of them are not very compelling so I would instead suggest that you focus on your applications. it would be a much better use of your time.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jeonacivil,

A 750/Q48 is an outstanding Score - and with it, you can comfortably apply to ANY Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is not necessary. Now that you have an Official GMAT Score for your applications, I want to reiterate that you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement (and the more time that you have to act on that advice, the better). There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jeonacivil,

I tend to agree with BB that 700 is amazing GMAT score and that you likely do not have to retake. However, if you have a burning desire to do so, I certainly would not stop you. In any case, congrats on a great score!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63663 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry for being late to the party, but I just wanted to say congratulations! A 750 is freaking amazing, and I'm honored that we could play a little role in your studies.

I agree with the rest of the crew here: you can absolutely apply to any program with this score, and given the time of year, it's almost certainly better to spend your time on applications than on a retake. If you're convinced that you have specific ways to improve without much additional studying -- if, for example, you think that you can improve your quant time management, or you think you'll perform better with a 750 in your pocket -- then you could do a "no-pressure" retake, without much more studying. But applications strike me as far more worthy of your time.

Congratulations again, and let us know where you land for b-school!
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
jeonacivil wrote:
Thank you Experts for your great advice. Today was D-Day and guess what?! Somehow I was able to pull off a 750 (Q48/V44)! Not bad for 5 weeks of prep time, I guess.

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for this forum. It is such a great resource. Given the time constraint, as part of my prep, I was only able to skim through the OG questions (17%Q/6%V), sit for 4 PEs (including 1 diagnostic), and review the attempted OG/PE questions on GMATClub. Oh, plus I was able to watch ~10 GMATNinja videos which were an immense help (V35 to V44).

Now, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should spend a few more weeks preparing and give a second shot at GMAT (for 750+), maybe mid-Dec? Or do you think, 750 will suffice? Targeting US Top 10 schools for R2 Jan 2023. I do realize this might be a question for a different forum but figured I'll try here first. Thanks!

bb ScottTargetTestPrep MartyTargetTestPrep

Hi jeonacivil

750 is a solid score. Many Congratulations to you! I don't see any major reason to retake as such. Instead, you should spend time on building a compelling application to get through.

All the very best!

Feel free to reach out in case you need any help with it. Would be happy to help!
GMAT Club Bot