Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB 2013 - Calling all Applicants [#permalink]
minitiger wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
minitiger wrote:
Got the invite! 5:30pm ET today, east coast applicant. Similar to previous posts, it definitely made my day after the ding from HBS last week.

Can you please tell little bit about your profile and your GMAT score.

3y mgmt consulting, half in China and half in the US. GMAT 770.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Stanford claims to issue interview invitations from immediately after the deadline to immediately before the notification date. Are invites issued evenly throughout this period or do they come out in waves (i.e., like Harvard does formally)?

In other words, Stanford's R2 notification date this year is 27 March 2013. Should I hold my breath to the end?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, friends!

I received a lovely status update from the GSB admission committee that I felt compelled to share. Here's hoping that Stanford's sentiments - sincere and pithy - alleviate stress as effectively for you as they did for me.

Dear applicant,

We here in Palo Alto know that the MBA application process is rife with anxiety. In the last several months you worked diligently to compile an application that represents your accomplishments and goals, and the last several years navigating what has proven an unusually turbulent job market. Dates were postponed, drinks turned down and treadmills neglected for the sake of truly stellar essays and, yes, rather boring forms. It takes an abundance of energy and courage to apply to graduate programs, and you should therefore be proud of yourself. Really.

We also know that rumors thrive when information is scarce, rumors that needlessly agitate, endlessly worry. In the name of restful sleep, we'd like to set the record straight and put you at ease.

1. Your application will be thoroughly reviewed. We promise.
2. Your GMAT score is not the only element we consider.
3. Our team does not write and stage a play based on the applications of those people with the lowest GMAT scores. That happened only once, and while it was super hilarious and cathartic, we don't do that anymore. (Heehee. I'm remembering some of the funnier bits now. "Phi Beta KAPLAN!" So good.)
4. We do not rank applicants according to physical appearance. How would we even access hidden images after the implementation of that stupid privacy law? Stupid, stupid privacy law? Your accolades speak for themselves.
5. What do you look like?
6. JK! We could get in trouble if we asked you to send a pic. But if you sent one on your own free will...
7. Interview invitations are not sent out according to last name or geographic region because one year someone got the S names and threw a huge fit.
8. Stop freaking out about whether you doubled-spaced your essay. Give our system some credit, okay? Do you honestly think we'd reject a Rhodes Scholar with three patents and a successful business plan to save all babies everywhere because she didn't know how to read directions and use Microsoft Word?
8.5. READ DIRECTIONS AND LEARN HOW TO USE MICROSOFT WORD, GENIUS LADY. YOUR FRIENDS HATE YOU AND SO DO WE. Great job with the babies, though. You're probably getting accepted.
9. The thing that happened with that guy on Saturday isn't a huge deal. Yes, it happened twice, but he seems to like you a lot and will probably forget the whole thing.
10. Stanford's sole purpose is not to host better costume parties than does Wharton. We take our academic curriculum very seriously.
11. Class is not cancelled if it rains, but people do, like, freak out and say, "What's up with this rain!?" until the storm subsides. It's so annoying.
12. HE WANTS TO HANG OUT AGAIN. Stop whining to your friend about how you shouldn't have brought him back to your apartment in the first place. You had fun. He had fun. Move forward.
13. You were right: Those fields in the application that make you transcribe your resume really are worthless. If we didn't create hurdles, everyone would apply.
14. Ninety percent of the posts on that gmatclub site are BS. Try to ignore them. In fact, try to ignore the entire site. Block it, have your friend protect said block with a password that only he knows, and then end that friendship so that he'll never have a chance to reveal the password to you. (Accuse him of something nasty but not totally damning. IDK. Have fun with it!)
15. HBS supports fracking. In fact, it's one giant fracking site.
16. You're great. You're going to be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
I have trouble believing that this is really from their office. Seems to lack the professional touch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
vandygrad11 wrote:
I have trouble believing that this is really from their office. Seems to lack the professional touch.

Obviously a joke
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
WillTravelForMBA wrote:
vandygrad11 wrote:

Obviously a joke

That's cool. Thanks for sharing, but who wrote it? That dude, or their office?

Originally posted by geometric on 18 Feb 2013, 21:59.
Last edited by geometric on 27 Mar 2013, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
vandygrad11 wrote:

the stress must be getting to you: the post was pure irony gold.

iron-y gold? is that a new alloy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
vandygrad11 wrote:
WillTravelForMBA wrote:
vandygrad11 wrote:

Obviously a joke

That's cool bro. Thanks for sharing, but who wrote it? That dude, or their office?

I'm guessing OP wrote it (or OP found it somewhere) - Stanford wouldn't send out a joke email, especially one like that. On the off chance they did, we'd probably all receive it. 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
The wait is becoming painful... how is everyone fighting the urge to pickup the phone and start yelling at some random [fill school name] phone operator?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
michanchou wrote:
The wait is becoming painful... how is everyone fighting the urge to pickup the phone and start yelling at some random [fill school name] phone operator?

I'm thinking logically they'd invite the strongest, most interesting candidates first (from reports in this thread just about 3 weeks after R2 deadline) and the less strong candidates later, I'd say right now we still have about 50% chance getting the interview invite but with each day passing we are losing about 1% chance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Are there any MBA/MPP candidates who have received an invitation? I guess such kind of applicants receive invites later, when the school of humanities says its word.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
sm0421 wrote:
michanchou wrote:

I'm thinking logically they'd invite the strongest, most interesting candidates first (from reports in this thread just about 3 weeks after R2 deadline) and the less strong candidates later, I'd say right now we still have about 50% chance getting the interview invite but with each day passing we are losing about 1% chance.

Yeah, the wait is so painful... on the other hand, I'm kind of given up hope.. .:(

Anyway, if the past is indicative enough of the current status, according to a Stanford MBA Admissions post from 2009 on round 2 statistics:

"As of this morning, we have invited 275 second-round candidates to interview. We will extend an additional 100-125 interview invitations to second-round candidates in the next couple of weeks.

During that same period, we plan to interview some of the first-round candidates who accepted spots on the waitlist without having interviewed."

So I think only ~30% of the invites are left...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
silmoonver wrote:

Anyway, if the past is indicative enough of the current status, according to a Stanford MBA Admissions post from 2009 on round 2 statistics:

"As of this morning, we have invited 275 second-round candidates to interview. We will extend an additional 100-125 interview invitations to second-round candidates in the next couple of weeks.

During that same period, we plan to interview some of the first-round candidates who accepted spots on the waitlist without having interviewed."

So I think only ~30% of the invites are left...

Thanks for the info, I looked it up and it was posted on 02/25/2009, without a significant change in admission process I think you are right there's about 30% spots left and my estimates is that if you hear nothing about an interview on 03/13 (3 weeks from today, 2 weeks before the notification date), it's not going to happen this year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Interview invite just came !!! my sincerest wishes to all those who are still waiting. Having waited since the beginning of 2013 and especially after HBS's ding, I can say that this forum has really helped me maintain (some of) my cool...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got my invite as well!! super excited!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats guys! do you mind sharing a bit about your background? :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.5
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
sm0421 wrote:
congrats guys! do you mind sharing a bit about your background? :-D

Thanks! H/Y/P, pretty standard banking >> PE route thereafter, domestic applicant
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38   39   40  ...  54   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts