Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Start Ups on Application? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
la123456789la wrote:
Hey Everyone!

I just first want to say thanks for taking the time to read my questions. Now here's my question:

I was reading up on some application advice and it mentioned that showing the admissions committee who you are is important to getting admitted to Grad School. It sounds like advice where you put your best self forward and hope for the best. The book MBAmissions mentioned that they have had people who were IBankers or Management Consultants worrying that they weren't diverse/unique enough to get admitted. The book also mentioned that there were people on the other end of the spectrum where they were just teachers or something not as "prestigious" in the business sense worry about not having the "right" background or brand name companies on their resume so show off their qualifications.

I guess first question is, do you guys know of anyone who had very unique story that got in? And what was the story?

My second question is that I haven't been doing well in my career. I've decided to pursue working at a startup. If it does really well, I'm sticking with it. But if it goes to the ground or if I exit the startup at some point, I'd want to go to Grad school. Do any of you know cases where people who worked at startups end up going to Grad school and how many of them out of the total class were there?

If it helps you, I have a 720 GMAT score and a 3.7 GPA so I have my eyes and heart set on going to the top 10 universities like Harvard, Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford etc.

Hey dude,
Good to hear from you! So first of all, TONS of people with unique stories get into top programs. Of course most of them have the grades and GMAT too! (just like you).

Since they are unique stories.... they are well.... unique...

And a startup CAN be a good example of a unique story. Now the truth of the matter is of course, like i all things, the more successful you are in the startup, the stronger your application will be. But that should be pretty obvious. What is less obvious is that the same applies for failure. I've worked with plenty of people who applied with the story "I started this company and it didn't work out, and I NEED to get an MBA to learn how to do it right!" Great!!! But there is failure and failure. And even in a failure story there are different levels of success.

What do I mean? I mean that startup is a very vague term. You can have a "startup" where you are sitting at home eating cheese sandwiches and fiddling around to make a new ios app by yourself that you hope will make billions, or you could be running a 30-person company with 100,000K$ seed money, where you registered three patents....

The difference is obvious right?

So I don't know what your case is (and feel free to elaborate), but that should be a good start for you,

Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for responding. I've been working for about 3.5 years now. 2 years doing audit at one big 4 and 1.5 also doing audit in another. No Promotions and was let go :(

I was thinking I would work at a startup for about 2-3 years before applying. In your opinion, and assuming that I would have some for of success, would working at a startup for only 2-3 years give me sufficient time to have a compelling story for me to apply to grad school?

I'm kind of trying to dig myself out of a rut here and one of the main reasons I wanted to go to Grad School was to get out of audit...
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
You're asking a tough question: because who can predict what will happen with a startup?

But at the same time, if you are talking about joining a startup your focus should be on what you DO. Meaning if you lead a team of 50 to do amazing things, and after 3 years the bosses close the startup through no fault of your own, you will still have had some pretty awesome work experience behind you. and that's not bad at all!!!

Best,
Jon
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think if you go to a start-up or any company and kick butt and generate some strong experiences it can and will certainly be a positive but as mentioned above it is all about what you do. Remember this is business school so work experience does matter so do your best to make an impact and secure a strong recommendation in the process. But focus on the work more and b-school less for now.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Vibranture
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi there,

Making a unique story is always an ideal for MBA application. But your background is only a small part of the entire story. Whether you worked for a small company or a big one, at the end of the day its about what you have achieved.

As very right put by MIT Adcom, Julie Strong, who I spoke with last year: “What have you done with the opportunities you’ve been given?. There are amazing young people that have never worked but done all kinds of amazing things, and there are people who work for years who perhaps haven’t made that kind of impact."

So if we dig into your story, you might have done a lot more impressive stuff at a start up than someone working for Fortune 100 companies!

B-schools do like people with start-up experiences. Even if its a failed attempt at launching/ working on something- it shows a lot of impressive aspects about your personality and character- AND that is what makes each of us unique.

Email me if you want to talk more!

Here is the link to Ms. Strong's interview if you are interested:
https://www.vibranture.com/essay/blog-po ... om-Q&A-ASB
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aside from the firm's results, industry and your roles/impact, you would do well to be aware of how it helps develop different facets of your character and personality. Starting a new market, working with an exciting new product, or leading an international team would result in great experiences and provide opportunity for personal and professional growth regardless of the start-ups success.
GMAT Club Bot