GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Starting from scratch

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Starting from scratch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 09:22
I previously made a about maybe studying during Spring semester but that didn't happen lol (I can't link it because I guess I don't have enough posts). So I'm officially on summer break, and will not be taking summer classes, so I am mostly free to study for the GMAT until August so I'd like to take it maybe late July/very early August?

Some background: I'm 19, in Fall I'll start my senior year of undergrad going for a BS in Accounting. I don't want to do an MBA but rather an MS or MAcc (depends on where I go) in accounting and then eventually sit fro the CPA exam. I'm from FL and I really enjoy our in state tuition rates so I'm like 100% not interested in anything private or out of state, I'm just looking at our state schools, so I don't need a 700+ score but I'm thinking in the 600-700 range would be awesome for financial aid applications if I go to the smaller schools, or getting in if I go to the big state schools.

I have the OG 2017 but that's the only thing I've purchased, and my parents aren't thrilled with the idea of buying a ton of different books and subscriptions for the GMAT, so I'd like to stick with that and maybe like some free resources. I finally took the diagnostic test in the OG and was below average in problem solving and data sufficiency, average in reading comprehension and sentence correction, and above average in critical reasoning (their rankings are below, average, above, and excellent, it doesn't give you a score but I know it'd be bad. This is basically what I suspected, as every time I opened either this book or the free software, the math part scared me off right away from even taking a diagnostic. I am a little disappointed in the verbal part though, as I remember a couple of years ago for my ACTs & SATs my reading scores were usually a bit higher than everything else (I think for the ACT it was like a 34?) So I had higher expectations for reading comprehension.

So today I went through every question I missed, the math ones were genuine guesses where I did not know the answers, the reading comprehension and sentence correction ones contained a lot of dumb mistakes where I just didn't read it closely enough, and critical reasoning had a few genuine guesses as well. So I guess I should really hone in on math the most, but what do you think is a good split between quant and verbal?

My schedule for summer is not 100% free either, as I have a surgery scheduled for tomorrow, and then basically as soon as I recover my family is going on a trip overseas until early June, so I probably will not be studying during that time. After that I will probably try to do about 4 hours per weekday if I can, as the classes I have coming up in fall have some pretty depressing fail/drop rates so I would like to spend the second half of my day studying for those as well.

So basically:
- what are some good free resources
- what do you think would be a good split between quant and verbal, since obviously I need to work on my math skills
- what do you think would be an appropriate amount of time to spend studying per day since I'll have ~ 2 months or so to really have this be my main focus (I am open to retaking it during the school year but I definitely won't be dedicating a ton of time to the GMAT in fall when one of my classes in my major has like a 75% drop/fail rate)

Thanks so much in advance!

* I would just like to say I know on the other thread someone told me not to do the diagnostic in the OG but to do the MBA provided one, I honestly couldn't make myself do it. Like I started it and the math looked so foreign to me like I haven't talked about cones inside of hemispheres and all since early high school so I've completely forgotten all of that stuff. I think I'd be open to taking one once I reviewed math, as I feel okay (not great but okay) about verbal stuff.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge
Re: Starting from scratch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 09:40
- what are some good free resources-700 800 quant in gmat club along with manhattan and gmat club test....verbal OG only anf manhattan sc, bible cr, OG RC
- what do you think would be a good split between quant and verbal, since obviously I need to work on my math skills-q49/V44
- what do you think would be an appropriate amount of time to spend studying per day since I'll have ~ 2 months or so to really have this be my main focus - 2.5 hr a day
PM me if you need more guidance
SVP
SVP
S
Re: Starting from scratch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 14:36
Top Contributor
Quote:
So basically:
- what are some good free resources
- what do you think would be a good split between quant and verbal, since obviously I need to work on my math skills
- what do you think would be an appropriate amount of time to spend studying per day since I'll have ~ 2 months or so to really have this be my main focus (I am open to retaking it during the school year but I definitely won't be dedicating a ton of time to the GMAT in fall when one of my classes in my major has like a 75% drop/fail rate)

For free resources, check out the online question bank: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

For 2 months - we recommend 2-3 hours each day during the weekdays and 8+ hours on weekends. This assumes you have a day job.

Of course, without a day job, at least 4-6 hours a day would be recommended.
Senior CR Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Starting from scratch  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 08:20
Quote:
- What are some good free resources?

There are many free resources over the internet. The commercial books are provided freely over the intenet. It's illigal, but in case that you are in trouble financially, you could seek some.

You could learn Math concepts in Quant section with Manhattan books. Also, gmatclub contains a lot of high quality quant questions, so you could have enough questions for practice to get Q50+.

Quote:
- What do you think would be a good split between quant and verbal, since obviously I need to work on my math skills?

You need to arrange your time carefully. Since your verbal skills are not good enough, you need to pay your time in practice verbal section as well. When you are sure that you are very good at verbal, you could spend your whole time in practicing quant questions.

Quote:
- What do you think would be an appropriate amount of time to spend studying per day since I'll have ~ 2 months or so to really have this be my main focus (I am open to retaking it during the school year but I definitely won't be dedicating a ton of time to the GMAT in fall when one of my classes in my major has like a 75% drop/fail rate)

Studying GMAT takes a lot of time and effort, but since you just aim to score 600-700, you dont have to spend too much time. However, you need to spend your initial time to understand the basic concept. Hence, you could follow GMATPill's advice.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Starting from scratch &nbs [#permalink] 11 May 2017, 08:20

Starting from scratch

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap