Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 13:34 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 13:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2770 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: State Governor: In order to avoid having taxpayers pay for the lifesty [#permalink]
The state governer main motto is not to save money but to make grug addicts functional and employed and D option is advancing the hypothesis drawn by the state governer so Is the most feasible choice among rest.

Posted from my mobile device
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
State Governor: In order to avoid having taxpayers pay for the lifesty [#permalink]
Kudos
A can be wrong on several grounds.
1. Even if the savings are not greater, they can be equal to. Hence, savings achieved by making drug users ineligible to receive welfare benefits will be = the expense of testing all welfare benefit recipients for drug use. Conclusion does not break
2. Argument does not say where the money of testing is coming from. Maybe it is funded by some organisation. how can we assume that taxpayers money is used in testing?
3. Once tested, the person will not have to be tested for next 2 years. So from first year afterwards, we have to test fewer number of people. A is again wrong since it compares the cost of testing everyone with total tax payer money

Not sure since the OA is A

Originally posted by arora1 on 27 Apr 2020, 12:25.
Last edited by arora1 on 03 May 2020, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Re: State Governor: In order to avoid having taxpayers pay for the lifesty [#permalink]
Nishchaychawla wrote:
cantaffordname wrote:
State Governor: In order to avoid having taxpayers pay for the lifestyles of people who could be working but choose instead to use illicit drugs that render them dysfunctional and unemployable, I propose that we regularly test for illicit drug use everyone receiving welfare benefits and that any such recipient testing positive for illicit drug use not be eligible to receive welfare benefits for two years following the test. By following this strategy we can save taxpayer dollars.
Which of the following must the governor be assuming in coming to the above conclusion?

A. The savings achieved by making drug users ineligible to receive welfare benefits will be greater than the expense of testing all welfare benefit recipients for drug use.

B. People who use illicit drugs and who know that they are going to be tested for drug use can take measures that result in their testing negative for drug use.

C. Everyone who engages in the use of illicit drugs becomes dysfunctional and unemployable.

D. Most people who become ineligible for welfare benefits because of their testing positive for use of illicit drugs will discontinue their drug use and find employment.

E. The percentage of people receiving welfare benefits who use illicit drugs is greater than the percentage of people not receiving such benefits who use illicit drugs.

Why A is not correct?

Edited the answer Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
Kudos
Please find my below reasoning
A. The savings achieved by making drug users ineligible to receive welfare benefits will be greater than the expense of testing all welfare benefit recipients for drug use.- Correct. On negating this option makes the argument conclusion falls apart.

B. People who use illicit drugs and who know that they are going to be tested for drug use can take measures that result in their testing negative for drug use.- Irrelevant. Our conclusion is that taxpayer money must be saved

C. Everyone who engages in the use of illicit drugs becomes dysfunctional and unemployable.- So what? will this lead to save Tax payers money? No..

D. Most people who become ineligible for welfare benefits because of their testing positive for use of illicit drugs will discontinue their drug use and find employment.- Irrelevant. Conclusion does not bother whether they start working or not

E. The percentage of people receiving welfare benefits who use illicit drugs is greater than the percentage of people not receiving such benefits who use illicit drugs.- Again Irrelevant.

Although When i read option A , I was not able to gather the data so I kept that option hold and start reading other options and eliminated them. In the end left with Option A.

Hence Option A is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Frankly not very convinced with option A. I chose it only through elimination of other options.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts