GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.77
Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 11:12
I'm looking to transition to management consulting post MBA (preferably MBB). I'm currently 30 (31 this year) and have 61 months WE so am not sure if waiting is the right move. Equally though, I felt more enthused about NYU at the start of the application process, but have heard negative comments from so many people about how the ranking will affect recruiting (particularly for an international student needing sponsorship) and that as a school it simply won't look as good on the CV (that there'll always be a question of why I went to Stern) that I'm now very hesitant about accepting NYU.

The issue is, I don't have a clear plan of what I want to do next and am focusing on consulting as the best undecided option. If i end up finding something I'm more passionate about, I would of course want to pursue that instead. I've been told that where Stern really suffers vs M7 is IM/PE/Tech roles and given that I have no clue what I want to do next, I would definitely like to maximize employment chances for any roles. I was also speaking to a friend at BCG (on the West Coast) who noted that Stern isn't a national target school for them (and therefore I assume also for Bain and McKinsey).

I've been admitted with a full ride at NYU. Currently waitlisted at Booth and dinged without interview at Wharton and CBS. I'm debating doing a round 3 app for Kellogg.

In general terms, in an ideal world, I would much rather live in NYC than anywhere else (though if I felt that two years in e.g. Chicago would better set me up to land a job in NYC after graduation, would definitely rather pursue that route).

Does it make sense to do a round 3 app now for Kellogg and hope that either Kellogg or Booth come through? Alternatively, I can choose to wait a year and focus my energy on putting together strong round 1 apps (reapps for Wharton/CBS/Booth and new apps for Kellogg/MIT).

The third and easiest option is to simply accept NYU and be happy with the full ride, recognizing that since I didn't get CBS and I want to be in NYC, I should be pleased with this outcome and it should still be able to generally serve my goals. And tbh, I feel like outside of the US, Booth and Kellogg don't have particularly great brand rec either. Given that I only hope to be in the US for a few years post graduation before returning to South-East Asia, outside of H/S/W/CBS (and maybe MIT), NYU shouldn't look too much worse on the CV than e.g. Booth/Kellogg, particularly since it's with a Scholarship.

Grateful for any views/input on the above.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 16:41
From my (limited) perspective, the odds of reapplying are a bit stacked against you. Getting into a program gets harder if you’re “too old”, and 30 is usually the “old” threshold, so be careful there.

A full ride to any school is huge, and Stern is no slouch. Idk where you heard those opinions from, but Stern is a respected program that likely gives you access to a wider range of job opportunities given its location.

That said, it wouldn’t hurt to accept the Stern offer and take a swing at Kellogg R3 just to fill that “what if?” itch you might have. You can just renege on Stern if you get into Kellogg. I applied to HBS round 2, got dinged, and now I don’t even think about that possibility anymore. Although keep in mind that: A. Round 3 is probably the least auspicious round to apply in and B. A lot of scholarship funds have dried up by now, so even if you get Kellogg there’s no good sign that you’d get any money.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Anderson '21 (A)
Re: Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 20:23
Why do i get the feeling you are looking down on Stern. You are very lucky to get a full ride. I would take it.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 21:53
i'd play out the Booth WL but go to Stern if it doesn't pan out
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.77

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 05:31
Thanks All - appreciate the input! Its been helpful in getting me to pretty much rule out reapplying.

I'll weigh up doing a Kellogg app in the next two weeks but otherwise continue to play the Booth wait-list. I also intend to visit Booth (and Kellogg if I apply) in the next month. I had hoped to visit Booth for admit weekend but that's clearly no longer a possibility. I would definitely much rather be in NYC (and have previously spent a year there doing a previous graduate degree at NYU) so I definitely need to check out Chicago generally (and the schools) to see if I think I'd like living there for two years.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2019, 19:44
rNadOm wrote:
Thanks All - appreciate the input! Its been helpful in getting me to pretty much rule out reapplying.

I'll weigh up doing a Kellogg app in the next two weeks but otherwise continue to play the Booth wait-list. I also intend to visit Booth (and Kellogg if I apply) in the next month. I had hoped to visit Booth for admit weekend but that's clearly no longer a possibility. I would definitely much rather be in NYC (and have previously spent a year there doing a previous graduate degree at NYU) so I definitely need to check out Chicago generally (and the schools) to see if I think I'd like living there for two years.

I went to Booth after living in NYC for several years after college. Chicago is a pretty nice place to be for two years outside of winter although NYC winters suck as well. As you know, NYC is not ideal without money and Chicago is a great place to be a student.
GMAT Club Bot
Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2019, 19:44

Stern (full ride) vs reapply vs Round 3 applications/hope for waitlist

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap