GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 May 2020, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern vs Anderson ($$) vs Marshall ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which program should I choose?

• 69% [16]
  • 26% [6]
  • 4% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Other, Technology
GRE 1: Q161 V168

GRE 2: Q165 V163
GPA: 3.29
WE: Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Reviews Badge
Stern vs Anderson ($$) vs Marshall ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Dec 2019, 13:30
I'm looking to make a career switch into the entertainment and media industry, preferably at a company with a technology focus (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc). If I end up not liking entertainment, my next preference is tech industry in general. I was offered admission at Stern with no money, Anderson with $80k fellowship, and Marshall with full tuition fellowship (~$125k).

Right now I'm leaning towards Anderson, I've gotten a great vibe from them in terms of cultural fit throughout the process and they've been so impressive and on top of things along the way. They've already connected me with an alumna as my admit buddy who has had work experience at the companies I mentioned in my goals essays. Their strong presence in tech is really appealing as well.

I've heard great things about Marshall's network, especially within the film industry, but feel like I've barely heard from them since admittance and they haven't offered as many marketing opportunities (webinars, local info sessions, etc.) to get to know them, so I'm not quite sure I have a sense of who they are yet.

Stern is also very appealing in terms of program quality, but felt a little bit more tired than Anderson and I'm not sure how connections in the entertainment industry compare. Especially with the higher cost and lower quality of living in New York, it's hard to justify giving up fellowship opportunities to go to a slightly higher ranked program (at least according to US News, Anderson appears to rank higher according to many other rankings).

Being on the older end of the MBA student spectrum, I'm not as interested in relocating after graduation so would prefer to go to school in a city I could see myself living in for 5+ years. I also have a large dog who will be coming with me which makes New York difficult. As much as I am sad to lose the feel of living in a big city and to encounter the driving/traffic difficulties of LA, I think I would prefer Los Angeles for the higher quality of life to cost ratio.

Will most likely accept offer at Anderson but welcome feedback from those with more intel on anything I may not be considering!

Originally posted by cbrinkley on 20 Dec 2019, 12:07.
Last edited by cbrinkley on 20 Dec 2019, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Stern vs Anderson ($$) vs Marshall ($$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 12:15
Anderson looks like the sweetest deal to me here. They’re offering you a decent financial aid. Plus, Media and Entertainment companies are top recruiters at Anderson. Let’s not forget that YouTube’s CEO is from Anderson. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 12:59
Congrats on your offers and scholarships! You can politely go back to Anderson and check if they would be willing to add a bit more $$ (not counting on it but it is a possibility): https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

If you are Ok with paying a bit at Anderson, that's a great place to be. Marshall has their strengths but how they jumped 9 spots in the latest US News rankings, i am not sure. They have historically been a #2 program in LA and somewhat distant to Anderson. Obviously there is Trojan spirit and undergrad reputation but for a long time it felt that it was only that which was carrying Marshall. It is too fast for me and too new to really know how it will play out. I think Anderson is a fantastic choice between these all. Their Career Center works hard and has people dedicated to different industries and both helps and pushes students. I have heard great things about their career center from alums, even a few international students who had a harder time landing a job, still spoke highly about them.
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2019, 21:29
I echo the sentiments of everyone here. Given your goals of getting into tech-media, Anderson with all that money seems like the best spot to be. You will also have some tech PM/PMM opportunities in Anderson too and might I say well over Marshall!

Stern would be an interesting choice, but I would not give away all the UCLA $$$ for a no-cash Stern.
Re: Stern vs Anderson ($$) vs Marshall ($$$)   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2019, 21:29

Stern vs Anderson ($$) vs Marshall ($$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate