It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 62

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User
Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 17:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hi GMAT Club friends,

I took the GMAT today and was lucky to score 770 (Q49 V47), however got a 5 on IR.
I had chosen to take IR and AWA at the end, and messed up my timing a little bit which made me guess through the last 3-4 questions.

I have average GPA, so will be using the GMAT score to prove that my "skills/abilities" are good enough.

Do you think a 5 on IR will significantly affect my chances of making it to a Top 10 US B-School? I don't want to retake the GMAT.

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Re: Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 00:27
fallikzoan wrote:
Hi GMAT Club friends,

I took the GMAT today and was lucky to score 770 (Q49 V47), however got a 5 on IR.
I had chosen to take IR and AWA at the end, and messed up my timing a little bit which made me guess through the last 3-4 questions.

I have average GPA, so will be using the GMAT score to prove that my "skills/abilities" are good enough.

Do you think a 5 on IR will significantly affect my chances of making it to a Top 10 US B-School? I don't want to retake the GMAT.

First of all, congratulations on the amazing score!

Regarding your question, in my opinion, NO - an IR 5 should not affect your chances to get admission in a Top 10 B-school. As it is, a 770 is a great score to catch the adcom's attention. I'd suggest that you improve your chances by focusing on your applications rather than retaking the exam.

Cheers! :-)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 03:24
OMG bro!! How did you manage to score so well!
Please give me some tips on the verbal section haha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 09:28
fallikzoan wrote:
Hi GMAT Club friends,

With a 770, I doubt you'd have to take the exam again even if you had a 1 in IR.

Congrats, and all the best!

Profile and Official GMAT score report

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 159

saurav: suman
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 11:08
No, low IR doesn't reduce your chances for admission in any of the top business school.

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 159

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 62

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 13:47
Thank you for weighing in here, folks. Appreciate your guidance.

patto
will be writing a debrief soon and I hope it can be helpful.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 16:56
While I agree that your score is extremely compelling in any scenario, I must call out one anecdote.

It is yet to be seen how admissions representatives will compensate/react for the differences among those who chose their section order and those who couldn't. It was absolutely an attempt on behalf of GMAC to get admissions representatives to care more about IR & AWA. It is to be expected that on a macro level those who were afforded the right to take quant & verbal first would achieve higher composite scores. Perhaps as a result admissions will begin to look to AWA & IR specifically to differentiate.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 16:57
HeadingEast wrote:
While I agree that your score is extremely compelling in any scenario, I must call out one anecdote.

It is yet to be seen how admissions representatives will compensate/react for the differences among those who chose their section order and those who couldn't. It was absolutely an attempt on behalf of GMAC to get admissions representatives to care more about IR & AWA. It is to be expected that on a macro level those who were afforded the right to take quant & verbal first would achieve higher composite scores. Perhaps as a result admissions will begin to look to AWA & IR specifically to differentiate.

With all this being said, I think your application timing is choice as I would imagine this reaction would take a couple years to materialize.

VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 07:57
HeadingEast wrote:

It will be very difficult to "compensate" for the select section order feature. Firstly, the GMAC's study on this showed that there is no statistical difference (hard to disprove without another such study), and secondly, the section order is not identified, and the original order is still an option, so it's hard to say whether a recent score was obtained under different conditions.

I'm still very interested in seeing which way average scores move though.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 08:01
Of course GMAC is going to say there is not statistical difference, that's all I will say.

And while they can't see order, they are certainly aware of the change and may begin to view a high IR score as a barameter of "stamina"

Posted from my mobile device

VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 08:10
HeadingEast wrote:
Of course GMAC is going to say there is not statistical difference, that's all I will say.

And while they can't see order, they are certainly aware of the change and may begin to view a high IR score as a barameter of "stamina"
I'm not saying that you're wrong about select section order's leading to an increase in scores. I personally think that it will really help a lot of test takers. What I'm saying is that it is hard for schools to justify taking any action on this. And the second point was that because the possibility exists that even a recent score was obtained under the "original" conditions (because the original order is still an option), a school can't just adjust a score downwards or use IR to measure things like stamina.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 08:14
Right, I'm in agreement an adcom can't look at an individual score and say aww we should take this score with a grain of salt because he/she had a favorable section order. This is why I noted I think this change will take a couple years to take effect. But over time, on a macro level I think admissions reps will care more about the IR score as a differentiator as composite scores continue to creep up as they already have

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 08:24
At any rate, this thread has gotten completely away from its intended purpose. Stoiczoan, you should be extremely proud of your score and would be crazy to consider ever retaking the GMAT again in your life.

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 56

GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 13:13
stoiczoan wrote:
Hi GMAT Club friends,

Congrats on the 770! I very much doubt that a 5 on IR will change anything. That said, this is a conversation to have with an admissions counselor. Some companies do free consultations where you could get this question answered - mbaMission, which is a partner of Manhattan Prep, is one of them.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 56

Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues?   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2017, 13:13

Strong GMAT Score (770 Q49 V47) but low IR (5) - any possible issues?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap