GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Study Plan Guidance

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Study Plan Guidance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 05:44
Hey,

I have been preparing for the GMAT from the past 4 months and have attended princeton classes, practiced from the gmat forum on gmatclub and used maths revolution for quant since my problem area was quants.

In the end I scored a 500(Q36, V23), this was completely shocking to me since in the GMATPREP mock before my exam I scored a 660 and was scoring atleast above 600 in the other mocks that I had taken i.e Princeton Review mocks.

I need some guidance on how to start my prep again, a few points regarding my preparation is that the majority of it was in quants and I had also taken a maths revolution subscription for that, in the maths rev diagnostic test my potential score was Q43, however I scored much below that. For Verbal, I had done the basics SC Drill and Powerscore alongwith the OG and Gmat practise questions.

In the actual exam I believe I caved under pressure and looked at the time multiple times and in an attempt to answer all questions faster made incorrect decisions. Also 2-3 days before my exam, I had a family emergency to deal with. In order to score better, I need some advise regarding strategy and time management. Please let me know how to go about my preparation, any advise will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.37
Re: Study Plan Guidance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 06:38
T03 wrote:
Hey,

I have been preparing for the GMAT from the past 4 months and have attended princeton classes, practiced from the gmat forum on gmatclub and used maths revolution for quant since my problem area was quants.

In the end I scored a 500(Q36, V23), this was completely shocking to me since in the GMATPREP mock before my exam I scored a 660 and was scoring atleast above 600 in the other mocks that I had taken i.e Princeton Review mocks.

I need some guidance on how to start my prep again, a few points regarding my preparation is that the majority of it was in quants and I had also taken a maths revolution subscription for that, in the maths rev diagnostic test my potential score was Q43, however I scored much below that. For Verbal, I had done the basics SC Drill and Powerscore alongwith the OG and Gmat practise questions.

In the actual exam I believe I caved under pressure and looked at the time multiple times and in an attempt to answer all questions faster made incorrect decisions. Also 2-3 days before my exam, I had a family emergency to deal with. In order to score better, I need some advise regarding strategy and time management. Please let me know how to go about my preparation, any advise will be appreciated.

Hi, what is your target score? And what was your Q/V split on your mocks? Did you take both of the official mock tests, or only the one in which you scored 660?

On the mock tests you also see the splits within the quant and verbal parts separately, it would be beneficial to examine those, as well as your weakest areas within math.

Did you have no problem managing time during the mocks? You could try hiding the clock, and only look at it after each 10th question.

Also, I would study in detail at least the GMAT Club math and grammar books, but maybe even the Manhattan guides. Depends on what your target score is.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 06:46
Thank you for your reply.

My target score is 650+, I have gone through some of the topics on gmatclub for grammar but I guess I would need more practice in all those subjects. I only took one of the mocks on GMATPREP, about 5 days before my actual exam and I was planning on taking more when I had a family emergency. Pacing has been an issue and I also wanted to know if getting the first 10 questions correct on each Quant and Verbal is the only way to do well in the exam.
Intern
Intern
B
Study Plan Guidance  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 06:57
T03 wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

My target score is 650+, I have gone through some of the topics on gmatclub for grammar but I guess I would need more practice in all those subjects. I only took one of the mocks on GMATPREP, about 5 days before my actual exam and I was planning on taking more when I had a family emergency. Pacing has been an issue and I also wanted to know if getting the first 10 questions correct on each Quant and Verbal is the only way to do well in the exam.

For me personally, pacing came down to having shaky foundations about certain subject matters or not knowing how to begin to deal with certain question types. You should practice answering questions without watching the clock, and then at the end you will be able to see, which topics and q types are taking the most of your time, as well as where do you make the most mistakes. Don't guess, try to come at a solution. If you guess, then mark the q as a guess as that is something you'll need to study more.

As for your specific question, you might be interested in this topic: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-so ... 46146.html

Also, aim to score at least 30 points over your target during the mocks just to be sure you'll do well next time. You have to take into account the stress and the noise during the real test.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 07:09
I will surely do that, any thoughts on how I can improve on Verbal? I have gone through SC Drill about twice and CR PowerScore. Since I was focusing more quants, I practiced verbal a bit less when I was about to give the exam. Can you recommend any other sources for verbal?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 08:20
T03 wrote:
I will surely do that, any thoughts on how I can improve on Verbal? I have gone through SC Drill about twice and CR PowerScore. Since I was focusing more quants, I practiced verbal a bit less when I was about to give the exam. Can you recommend any other sources for verbal?

This is why I suggested analyzing your RC-CR-SC split in your mock tests. Which part do you struggle the most with?

I'd definitely suggest reading some books (maybe accompanied by the audiobook version, might be faster and more enjoyable), articles in different subject matters, maybe practice with vocab flashcards (apps) if that's something you need to develop. I learned most of my English by reading the last Harry Potter and watching an obscene amount of TV shows with English subtitles :lol: so I have no major problems with the RC and CR, but I've read very good things about e-gmat. (For me the accent is very strong and distracting there, so I didn't try it.)

However, SC is something I need to work on too, so my plan is to read the GMAT Club grammar book, the Manhattan guide, and maybe Aristotle's SC Grail. The content might be very similar, but we have a saying in Hungarian: "repetition is the mother of knowledge" which is similar to the Russian "repetition is the mother of learning" :-) I'll also solve lots of questions, keep an error log, and revisit the problematic ones. Magoosh has an Idiom Flashcards app. Also, Veritas has a free question bank app. I like solving SC questions there while I'm on the bus, waiting for someone etc. because I don't need a pen and paper for them, and they're generally shorter than RC and CR questions, making it possible to utilize every spare minute :-)
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 08:52
First order an ESR and see where you have gone wrong. That will throw more light on where you have to concentrate more.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 16:01
Hi T03,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 15:26
T03 wrote:
Hey,

Best Books

1. Manhattan GMAT Quant Guides
2. Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides
or
Aristotle Verbal Guide for CR critical reasoning bible is best book with 300+ pages of comprehensive Data

Strategies

Start with Quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT. After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice. You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT. 1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal. When completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice. Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score. Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best Mocks

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$)
4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

Good Luck
Cheers :)

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 08:21
T03 wrote:
Hey,

Hi,

You should dedicate around 3 months to improve your score. It’s a good thing you have taken your GMAT once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for Three months, you are sure to achieve your goal. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and Optimus Prep as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practice tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

Lastly I would also encourage you to purchase the GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 11:16
Update :

Hey Guys,

I used all your tips and am happy to report that I atleast did well in Quants this time, my score was Q48 V23. Since Quants was a major fear, I am glad I have overcome it and know my way around the preparation. Ofcourse for quants, a lot of self analysis and the brutal GmatClub Tests majorly helped.

Onto Verbal, I have been studying over a month now and not seeing any progress with my Verbal Score, I am going through the E-Gmat Verbal Course and will let you know how that has helped, so far I am yet to see any difference. My break for RC-CR-SC currently is 50%-42%-67%.

I have started reviewing SC and RC (2) daily. For CR, I will go through powerscore again. My difficulty is finding official verbal questions which are reliable and of 600-700 level, I have scanned through GMATCLUB and have come across certain SC questions, which are around 500-600 level. I believe, in the exam I always get taken aback by how difficult and different the SC questions seem, any guidance/comments would surely help!

Thanks again! :D
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 20:15
T03 wrote:
Update :

Hey Guys,

I used all your tips and am happy to report that I atleast did well in Quants this time, my score was Q48 V23. Since Quants was a major fear, I am glad I have overcome it and know my way around the preparation. Ofcourse for quants, a lot of self analysis and the brutal GmatClub Tests majorly helped.

Onto Verbal, I have been studying over a month now and not seeing any progress with my Verbal Score, I am going through the E-Gmat Verbal Course and will let you know how that has helped, so far I am yet to see any difference. My break for RC-CR-SC currently is 50%-42%-67%.

I have started reviewing SC and RC (2) daily. For CR, I will go through powerscore again. My difficulty is finding official verbal questions which are reliable and of 600-700 level, I have scanned through GMATCLUB and have come across certain SC questions, which are around 500-600 level. I believe, in the exam I always get taken aback by how difficult and different the SC questions seem, any guidance/comments would surely help!

Thanks again! :D
The questions on the GMAT might seem different, but they're really just more of the same (concepts). Keep in mind that though they are retired now, all official practice questions were once "real" questions on actual GMAT exams :-)

Also, I suggest that you go through all the official questions you can, without worrying about the difficulty level of those questions. There's something to be said for gaining familiarity with how the GMAT "thinks".

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 12:04
Hi T03,

Glad to see that things are moving in the right direction!

Regarding verbal, since you scored a V23, it’s clear that you lack certain GMAT verbal skills that are necessary for a high score. To develop such skills, you will need a study plan that allows you to learn linearly, such that you can slowly build GMAT mastery of one topic prior to moving on to the next. Within each topic, begin with the foundations and progress toward more advanced concepts.

For example, let’s say you begin studying Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so you can assess how well you understand the topic. If, for example, you incorrectly answer a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When practicing Reading Comprehension, you need to develop a reading strategy that is both efficient and thorough. Reading too fast and not understanding what you have read are equally as harmful as reading too slow and using up too much time. When attacking Reading Comprehension passages, you must have one clear goal in mind: to understand the context of what you are reading. However, you must do so efficiently, so you need to avoid getting bogged down in the details of each paragraph and focus on understanding the main point of each paragraph. That being said, do not fall into the trap of thinking that you can just read the intro and the conclusion and comprehend the main idea of a paragraph. As you are reading a paragraph, also consider how the context of the paragraph relates to previous paragraphs, so you can continue developing your overall understanding of the passage. Furthermore, as you practice Reading Comprehension, focus on the exact types of questions with which you struggle: Find the Main Idea, Inference, Author’s Tone, etc. As with Critical Reasoning, analyze your incorrect answers to better determine why you tend to get a particular question type wrong, and then improve upon your weaknesses. You can perfect your reading strategy with a lot of practice, but keep in mind that GMAT Reading Comprehension passages are not meant to be stimulating. To better prepare yourself to tackle such passages, read magazines with similar content and style, such as the Economist, Scientific American, and Smithsonian.

Sentence Correction is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, you likely will have to work on all three of those aspects. Furthermore, your Sentence Correction performance likely has not improved because you have not been working on all three of those aspects.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules. Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not just a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer. As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns in the sentence clearly refer to nouns in the sentence? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

As for the third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct, what you do, the main thing that you have to do is be very careful. The main thing that you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices in a Sentence Correction question, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you answer Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. For instance, are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently that would have extended your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regimens, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you’ll then want to practice with SC questions that test you on skills from multiple SC topics.

Ultimately, if you are unable to learn and practice in the manner described above, you may consider looking for additional verbal prep resources. If you are unsure of which resources to choose, check out some reviews here on GMAT Club.

You also may find my article with more information about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 07:48
Hi Scott,

Thank you for putting the time to write a great and practical plan of action for me, you have no idea how motivating this. I understand that for each SC/CR/RC specific and targeted practice would help. Infact, I did the same for Quants. I will surely follow this plan and report back within a month.

Ajitesh-

Thanks for listing that out, it seems like a great idea. I have been going through old SC/CR/RC questions i found on gmatclub and will be practicing on those.

I will definitely report back once I see progress.

Thanks again!
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 10:38
My pleasure! I’m here if you need anything else.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Study Plan Guidance &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 10:38

Study Plan Guidance

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap