Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 13:00 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 13:00
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74271 [3]
Given Kudos: 20599
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 654
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74271 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5801 [1]
Given Kudos: 238
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Re: Submit Your Official + Practice GMAT Scores to Build a Score Estimator [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
That's really Awesome bb :please: :thumbsup:

Poojita, now you will feel somewhat relieved as you can gauge your preparation pretty well now.

bb wrote:
Submit Your Official + Practice GMAT Scores to Build a Score Estimator

After seeing a number of people struggling and being surprised with their test scores, I am working to rebuild a practice test score estimator that will give an idea how close/far each of the practice tests is from the ONLINE or OFFLINE versions of the Test.

If you have already taken the Official GMAT,
Please fill out this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RJXMSVR
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Submit Your Official + Practice GMAT Scores to Build a Score Estimator [#permalink]
Kudos
This is great. Will definitely participate once I take my official GMAT.

bb Thanks for bringing this forward and working on it.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74271 [1]
Send PM
Submit Your Official + Practice GMAT Scores to Build a Score Estimator [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
L0S3R wrote:
This is great. Will definitely participate once I take my official GMAT.

bb Thanks for bringing this forward and working on it.

Thank you! I appreciate all the help! Got lots of submissions in 24 hours which is awesome, though a number of people who have not taken the GMAT yet ... so can't quite use those scores. Must be only after the official GMAT. :cool:
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
vibkan wrote:
Filled the form, hope it helps

Posted from my mobile device

It does! Thank you. Every bit helps!
As soon as we get over 100 submissions (arbitrary number), I will be happy to post my preliminary findings. So stay tuned and encourage folks to submit their scores!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 747
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.11
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks bb. I've posted my scores. Can't wait to see your findings!
bb wrote:
Submit Your Official + Practice GMAT Scores to Build a Score Estimator

After seeing a number of people struggling and being surprised with their test scores, I am working to rebuild a practice test score estimator that will give an idea how close/far each of the practice tests is from the ONLINE or OFFLINE versions of the Test.

If you have already taken the Official GMAT,
Please fill out this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RJXMSVR
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey bb

Just a suggestion here. It is not necessary that everyone has taken a test offered by all the companies mentioned in q5 (Please Enter Your Most Representative Practice Test Scores for EACH of the companies below. Only 1 test per company.), and hence making it mandatory to put in a value for each company could mean people entering void values.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 654
Schools: LBS MFA "23
Send PM
Submit Your Official + Practice GMAT Scores to Build a Score Estimator [#permalink]
EuropaGust wrote:
Hey bb

Just a suggestion here. It is not necessary that everyone has taken a test offered by all the companies mentioned in q5 (Please Enter Your Most Representative Practice Test Scores for EACH of the companies below. Only 1 test per company.), and hence making it mandatory to put in a value for each company could mean people entering void values.

Agree with you
even I couldn't enter my scores for the same reason
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 747
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.11
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
I was able to submit scores for only the two sets of tests that I have recently used (excluding Official) - GMAT Club Tests & MGMAT
I believe that the form expect us to key in a quant, a verbal and a combined score for each row.
Since GMAT Club Tests are sectional (either quant or verbal), I had to lookup my combined GMAT score (out of 800) from a score grid.
Other than that I had no difficulties in submitting the form.

Poojita wrote:
EuropaGust wrote:
Hey bb

Agree with you
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Poojita wrote:
EuropaGust wrote:
Hey bb

Agree with you

Poojita and EuropaGust
For Question #5, at least 2 lines need to be filled out. You do not have to fill out all of them.
Did you only take 1 other third party practice test? :-o

For question #4, I required 1 score only from the entire GMAT Prep set.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
The good news is that around 300 people filled out the survey though only half of them took the actual GMAT and only half of those filled out the second page with the score details so we have roughly 70 people who submitted their scores. I think this is enough to get some conclusions drawn and see some correlations.

I will work to publish my results in the next 24 hours.
If anyone wants to help out with data analysis, let me know :cool:
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74271 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Edit: Posting here for the record

Official GMAT Score vs. GMAT Prep Analysis

Two weeks ago, we started collecting GMAT Scoring information for the calculator. Thank you everyone who submitted your GMAT Scores - please continue to submit your scores! The more data we have the better. At this time, this is a fairly small sample of only 72 Real GMAT Attempts and corresponding GMAT Prep Scores. Please do not use this data for any conspiracy theories YET! :angel:

Here is where we are today Aug 18, 2021:

Submissions with Practice and Official Scores:
GMAT-Online Scores: 31
GMAT Test Center Scores: 41
Lacking Official GMAT Scores: 187
Total Data Submission Attempts: 259

I wanted to get closer to 100 data points but I feel having even 70+ is sufficient to start the analysis. Also, the positive side of the story is that many of the test-takers submitted multiple GMAT Prep Scores and third party practice test scores. It is probably too early to be able to measure the third party tests yet (need more data - so please submit your scores if you have taken the GMAT) but I have been able to pull some GMAT Prep Analysis. I have to give a disclaimer that I am not a statistician or pretending to be one and I welcome any suggestions how to handle the data. My analysis is my best attempt at making these findings useful. If you are a data expert and have suggestions, please let me know.

What is the correlation between GMAT Prep and GMAT Online scores?

Correlation and Standard Deviation GMAT Prep vs. Official ONLINE GMAT
Exam 1Exam 2Exam 3Exam 4Exam 5Exam 6
Correlation0.680.680.590.810.540.51
Mean Difference9148323913
STDEV383842272518
Sample Size:24211312108

The samples represent 80% of data; 20% of scores that were the biggest outliers were removed.
The Mean difference is the average of Official GMAT minus GMAT Prep Exam Score
The STDEV is standard deviation of the difference between a particular Exam and the Official Test. STDEV gives you an idea how 67% of people have scored

ONLINE GMAT Bottom Line:
Looking at the Correlation, it is interesting how consistent Exams 1 and 2 are.
Exam 4 is the most correlated with the Official GMAT and I think that is likely because people took it right before the test so I feel the correlation is circumstantial rather than one test being more accurate than the other. It all depends on what was the last GMAT Prep one took and how close to the test. In general correlation of 0.5 means MODERATE and 0.7 means Strong.

I tried discarding "UNFAIR" GMAT Prep tests (these are the ones that people run into questions that they know or perhaps are sick while taking them or are interrupted) from the list of 24 Exams 1 reducing it down to 15 records. Surprisingly it had no material effect on the Correlation or the STDEV parameters that changed by less than 5% and correlation actually went down to 0.66 which was a surprising finding.

The shocking part was that out of 31 Online Tests, more than 50% had issues, thus potentially muddying up water
  • 13 tests were OK/Normal
  • 13 Tests had Lag issues
  • 3 Had noise/interference issues
  • 2 tests had "other" issues

What is the correlation between GMAT Prep and GMAT Test Center scores?

Correlation and Standard Deviation GMAT Prep vs. Official TEST CENTER GMAT
Exam 1Exam 2Exam 3Exam 4Exam 5Exam 6
Correlation0.90.760.790.640.450.88
Mean Difference401121933
STDEV293430414522
Sample Size:2112141797

The samples represent 80% of data; 20% of scores that were the biggest outliers were removed.
The Mean difference is the average of Official GMAT minus GMAT Prep Exam Score
The STDEV is standard deviation of the difference between a particular Exam and the Official Test. STDEV gives you an idea how 67% of people have scored
I eliminated all of the scenarios when users did not have a realistic score due to repeat questions

Test Center GMAT Bottom Line:
I had a bigger sample of the test-center based scores so I eliminated any situation when the score was "NOT-OK" due to repeat questions. I also did not want to focus too much on Test Center vs. Online quite yet as I feel I don't have enough samples .

There are some surprises however, I am getting a very high correlation for the GMAT Prep 1, surprisingly.
I have seen a number of people score in the magnitude of 100 points above/below sometimes but those are outliers and I generally have discarded them in the 20% of the results that are trimmed (not sure if that's right or not)

Overall Conclusion:
The data sample is still pretty small being only about 70-something real GMAT scores (and if we trim 20% of the outliers, then that's just 55).
However, there are some interesting observations in both Online and Test-Center GMAT formats: STDEV (which indicates how likely you are to be within the target score from GMAT Prep) is around 30-40 with a few small-sample exams being 20. That sort of indicates the old believe that your score will be within 40 points.
There is some variance and additional research/variations are needed when we have more scores (please submit :cool:) so that we can take only the LAST GMAT Prep score.

It seems there is a lot more variance happening with the ONLINE Test version (perhaps due to over 50% experiencing some kind of an issue)

Welcome thoughts and Ideas!

Originally posted by bb on 11 Aug 2021, 20:32.
Last edited by bb on 18 Aug 2021, 21:31, edited 2 times in total.
Update
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
bb
Just saw this thread and decided to post thinking that maybe the data would evolve over time.

I faced similar issue. I only took one other service (Experts Global) and felt significant disconnect in question levels between EG and GMAT official so only took a few of EG exams and none in the week before the exam. (This is obviously my personal opinion. Others might find them better suited). So filling out even one was a bit out of place for me. There might be others too with similar situation.

What might also be useful is to add an approximate range of time over which the practice exams were spread. I took all of mine within 2 weeks so they were expected to be relatively close. Someone who took first prep exam say 2 months before the exam would likely see much bigger movement.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
SCJ31832 wrote:
bb
Just saw this thread and decided to post thinking that maybe the data would evolve over time.

I faced similar issue. I only took one other service (Experts Global) and felt significant disconnect in question levels between EG and GMAT official so only took a few of EG exams and none in the week before the exam. (This is obviously my personal opinion. Others might find them better suited). So filling out even one was a bit out of place for me. There might be others too with similar situation.

What might also be useful is to add an approximate range of time over which the practice exams were spread. I took all of mine within 2 weeks so they were expected to be relatively close. Someone who took first prep exam say 2 months before the exam would likely see much bigger movement.

Thank you for the suggestion! I agree about the timing of the tests. I assume the most recent tests would have been taken within a few weeks but it is possible people took them months away.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi bb,
I'm trying to fill out the form but I can't submit it because question #6 about practice tests requires more than one answer. I tried filling in the "Other" row, but apparently it doesn't work...
I'd be glad to submit my score to give back to this awesome community, please let me know if there's a way!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37867 posts