GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 11 Jul 2020, 06:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

suggestion best materials and strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
suggestion best materials and strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 18:33
Hi,
this is my first post but I read many posts in this forum. great information. I am disoriented by the load of information and possible materials that can be used to master GMAT in an effective way. I'd like to get some advice by someone that has a lot of experience.
I studied Kaplan GMAT Prep Plus 2020 and did its exercises (I need to study the last section about Integrated reasoning and I am done)in the past 1.5-2 months. In the past couple of weeks I downloaded the app GMAT Toollkit and started taking quizzes (quant and verb but mostly quant so far).
I am asking for advice on what you suggest focusing on in the next month. I plan to take the GMAT in 1 month and if something goes wrong retake it after 1 month.
The materials that I have are:
-Kaplan GMAT PRep Plus: i have 6 online CATS available I believe.
-GMAT official course book: I was thinking to start taking its questions online (that are the same as the book)
-GMAT tool Kit (I paid to download all questions) and I find it useful. Inside there is OGTRacker where you can choose which section you want to focus on (it seems to get questons from old OG 2019-17 etc)
-Kaplan Qbank. I believe I have only the free materials with the book
-Manhattan Prep GMAT'app on line. There are a lot of free questions, and for 30$ (I think) you can get access to several tailored questions for PS, DS, SC etc. If I rememeber correctly from this forum, many suggest Manhattan app to have a great GMAT training.
-I read from published post on this Forum that there are many free resources but I can't decide how to proceed from here.
-this forum where I found people posted links to a lot of questions/solutions.

I think i need to focus on the verbal section and make a lot of exercises. Then keep working on Quant.
Ideally I'd like to be able to choose to focus on SC for example and get all possible questions, then CR, etc.
what would you do in my case to use efficiently my time and maximize the result?
Which online tool/tools would you recommend to continue and finalize my preparation?
my goal is 700+.

thank you for any feedback and advice.
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: suggestion best materials and strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2020, 21:03
Hey alexdr

Thanks for reaching out on the forum, it feels good to see you coming out and asking for advice.

We have helped more than 25,000 people in last 1 year in achieving their target of a good GMAT score. Maximum people attributed their success to the structured process which we suggested them. I suggest you break your preparation into 3 stages and follow the below plan:

Stage – 1 --> Learn the concepts
    Stage – 2 --> Cement the concepts by practicing a sub-section in Isolation
    Stage – 3 --> Become test ready (practicing all the sub-sections together)

I feel that you have solved many questions but the stage where you might be lacking is Stage 1.

I suggest you to follow the above steps and make sure that you are not missing any concept, because if you keep focusing on solving more number of questions you are adopting a trial-and-error based preparation methodology which cause a two-fold problem:

1. It increases your preparation time by up-to 5X.
    2. You tend to miss out on concepts even after solving many questions.

Prawee (550 to 740) used all the books and local coaching classes but was unable to improve her GMAT score beyond a certain point. She changed her approach and finally scored 740 in her 5th attempt and got a $180,000 fellowship cumulatively from 3 top business schools. She is currently pursuing MBA from Kellogg. Kellogg was once not even on her radar.

7 Steps – How to score 700+ on the GMAT

You can start your preparation by giving a mock to test your current ability.

Hope the above strategy get you to your target score

e-GMAT strategy Expert
V
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 07:27
I think practicing official question after learning concept is sufficient, especially in verbal section. Below links can help you to practice official questions.

http://gmatwithcj.com/resources/sentenc ... questions/

http://gmatwithcj.com/resources/quant-c ... questions/
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 08:35
Hello, alexdr. In addition to the above, you might want to check out the "Thursdays with Ron" video series, generously archived by carcass at this link. Many find Ron's approaches to just about anything GMAT™-related to be second to none, and no one can dispute his record of success on standardized tests. You might find the Verbal videos particularly useful. If you prefer reading top-notch advice instead of listening to it, I would recommend checking out the Beginners' Guides series by GMATNinja, another tutor with a stellar track record on standardized tests who has a knack for making even difficult concepts and problems accessible. You can find the links to a particular guide in the signature of any post by GMATNinja—which should not be hard to find, since the Top Expert Reply for a given Question of the Day is typically by the same.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
suggestion best materials and strategy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 10:14
Hi alexdr,

Regarding prep courses, in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com

214 REVIEWS

5-STARS RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Director
Director
V
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 11:33
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 15:49
Hi alexdr,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) Do you have an Official Test Date yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: suggestion best materials and strategy   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2020, 15:49

suggestion best materials and strategy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep