Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx   Complete the Passagex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Would you agree on these inputs on (C) ?

-- Traditionally most GMAT assumptions are necessary assumptions. (C) seems to go over-board

If you conclude that the text was written no later than 1167, and your only evidence is a diagram, then, yeah, your argument requires that the diagram be accurate.
It's true that we only need one little part of the diagram to be accurate, jabhatta2, but the answer choices aren't granular enough so as to question the accuracy of each part of the diagram separately.
Negation test: if we find out that the diagram does NOT accurately represent the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written, then the entire logic behind the conclusion (that the text was written no later than 1167) crumbles.

Originally posted by avigutman on 21 Sep 2022, 09:33.
Last edited by avigutman on 21 Sep 2022, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]

Send PM
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of [#permalink]
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman AnthonyRitz - thank you so much for your inputs.

What both of you said in the posts just above make sense. - the book was definitely written AFTER 1165 (that cannot be disputable) - I did not make that inference. I understand the logic for this now

The only thing questionable is : was the text written PRIOR to 1167

While we are only left with (c) so we have to pick (c) -- however, would you agree on these inputs on (C) ?

-- Traditionally most GMAT assumptions are necessary assumptions. (C) seems to go over-board

Here is why :

(C) is is suggesting two things

(i) mom / dad / brother / sisters /grandmom / grand-dad / grand-mom / great grand mom / great grand-father / children / wives / cousins = EVERYONE IS ALL listed accurately.
(ii) LIVING / Deceased STATUS of EACH ONE is listed accurately as well.

(C) is suggesting both the above bullet points.

However, I think only DAD and the living /deceased status of DAD specifically is necessary for this argument.

If mom / brother / sister /grandmom .... is listed incorrectly and THE LIVING STATUS of mom / brother / sister / grandmom is listed in-accurately as well --- it doesnt hurt the argument.

Thoughts ?

Yeah I'm not convinced that this is the typical necessary assumption question, but even if it was, imagine negating C:

Quote:
the diagram DOES NOT accurately represent[] the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written

Then I'd say the family tree showing the father alive gives no reason whatsoever to assume that Sviatov's father was actually alive when the book was written. And therefore the conclusion is, if not wrong, at least without any basis in the argument. I'd consider that a good enough basis to pick this answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: Sviatovin is a medieval Moringian text whose author and exact date of [#permalink]
''in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living''

isn't this a premise and we are doubting the premise in C]?
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
himanshu0123 wrote:
''in the diagram of Sviatov's family that accompanies the text his father, who died in 1167, is identified as still living''

isn't this a premise and we are doubting the premise in C]?

Ah, no, actually, I don't question that at all.

It is undeniably true that "in the diagram... his father... is identified as living" (emphasis added). I don't question what the diagram shows. I question whether the diagram is accurate. These sorts of fine distinctions are the bread and butter of GMAT critical reasoning, so it's important to practice picking out the little wiggle words like "identified" that create such gaps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
The argument in the passage relies on the assumption that:

(C) the diagram accurately represents the composition of Sviatov's family at the time Sviatovin was written.

The argument assumes that the diagram accompanying the text accurately reflects the family composition during the period when Sviatovin was written. If this assumption is false and the diagram is inaccurate or represents a different time period, then the conclusion drawn about the time of Sviatovin's composition would be invalid. Therefore, establishing the accuracy of the diagram is crucial for determining the timeframe of Sviatovin's writing based on the information provided.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts