GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Switching from GMAT to GRE

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Switching from GMAT to GRE  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 10:02
Hi, I’ve taken the Official GMAT twice, and I’ve bombed it twice. I’ve been studying for the GMAT for like a year. I’ve done two courses, had a tutor and did a lot of self study. In the beginning, my practice exams were around 490. My last three exams have been between 550-600. My official GMAT exam in July was 430. My second exam in October was 390. I can’t seem to calm my nerves during the exam and start to stress when I notice I’m screwing up. I canceled both of my scores.

I’m considering switching to the GRE since I think it’ll be better on my nerves - without the algorithm and being able to skip questions. I took a practice exam and got a 550 GMAT equivalent.

Would submitting a GRE instead of a GMAT score make me less competitive when applying to b-school? I was thinking with my background it’s assumed that I’ll be good with the GMAT and I would be frowned upon if I submitted a GRE score. I have a finance degree and three years in corporate finance at a Fortune 500 company. The top schools I am aiming for is Duke and Michigan.

Posted from my mobile device
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Switching from GMAT to GRE  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2019, 10:15
Hi,
I can understand your frustration. I can confirm there is no harm in taking GRE rather than GMAT. You just need to see the individual school's requirement whether they accept GRE or not. I believe, mostly do. Now, you have scored equivalent of 550 in GRE shows you have the capability. It's only you need to put your efforts in the right way. Stress is a part of life which you need to learn to control and ease it. Too much stress will hamper your GRE score as well. So, start meditation, it will help. Keep it up and stay relaxed. Give yourself couple of days free and start preparing for GRE. Don't forget to check the school's requirement.

94Maverick wrote:
Hi, I’ve taken the Official GMAT twice, and I’ve bombed it twice. I’ve been studying for the GMAT for like a year. I’ve done two courses, had a tutor and did a lot of self study. In the beginning, my practice exams were around 490. My last three exams have been between 550-600. My official GMAT exam in July was 430. My second exam in October was 390. I can’t seem to calm my nerves during the exam and start to stress when I notice I’m screwing up. I canceled both of my scores.

I’m considering switching to the GRE since I think it’ll be better on my nerves - without the algorithm and being able to skip questions. I took a practice exam and got a 550 GMAT equivalent.

Would submitting a GRE instead of a GMAT score make me less competitive when applying to b-school? I was thinking with my background it’s assumed that I’ll be good with the GMAT and I would be frowned upon if I submitted a GRE score. I have a finance degree and three years in corporate finance at a Fortune 500 company. The top schools I am aiming for is Duke and Michigan.

Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2019, 17:23
Hi 94Maverick,

First off, as long as your desired schools do not favor the GMAT over the GRE, then you can submit a GRE score without any problems. However, my bigger concern is why, after so much prep, you’ve been unable to improve your GMAT score. I say this because whatever is plaguing you on the GMAT likely will plague you on the GRE.

In any case, if you need some advice on how to move forward with either your GMAT or your GRE prep, feel free to reach out. You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT

How to Learn More, Learn Faster, and Retain More Knowledge While Preparing for the GMAT

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 18:31
I think you should try GRE and study hard. Submitting GRE doesn't make you less competitive than submitting GMAT, unless you consider switching to consulting career.

Good luck

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 10:15
94Maverick wrote:

If you are referring to generalized exam anxiety, then you would be better placed in first trying to address it. Anxiety is real and is a common phenomenon. It can derail any activity.

Is your anxiety only related to the adaptive and non-skippable nature of the GMAT test? That's what you seem to be referring to. Although that is possible, I would advise that you address the abpve first and not assume that your experience is related only to the GMAT.

Many schools now accept the GRE, but there are some differences in discipline requirements, e.g., in non-MBA graduate programs. In general, you will be alright but it is still wise to check with specific programs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22, ISB '21
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2019, 14:23
You can as well submit a GRE score. That's not an issue.
Maybe the problem is more psychological. Did you try to take a practice test in a calm atmosphere without getting stressed and observed your score level?
GRE does not have an algorithm and not as stressful as GMAT but still it is an exam.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Switching from GMAT to GRE   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2019, 14:23

Switching from GMAT to GRE

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics