GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Take GMAT in 11 days or reschedule?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Take GMAT in 11 days or reschedule?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 03:57
Hey all,

I'm scheduled to take the GMAT for the first time on 9/15. I've put in about 150 hours and recently got a 600 (Q38, V34) on my mock exam this past Saturday. My stretch goal is a 740, but would be okay with a 700. Do you guys have any thoughts on whether I should reschedule the exam? Realistically, I can put in another ~50 hours before test day, focusing on improving my verbal score.

I'm thinking it may be good to just take it and see how I do, and intend to retake it (possibly twice) in Oct/Nov. Plus, I've heard you generally perform better on your 2nd/3rd attempt, so why not give it a go? I can sense I'm approaching burnout and would like to complete my first attempt soon. Also,I need to have a score for round 2 deadlines in late Dec/early Jan.

Thanks!
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Take GMAT in 11 days or reschedule?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 04:50
hockey408 wrote:
Hey all,

I'm scheduled to take the GMAT for the first time on 9/15. I've put in about 150 hours and recently got a 600 (Q38, V34) on my mock exam this past Saturday. My stretch goal is a 740, but would be okay with a 700. Do you guys have any thoughts on whether I should reschedule the exam? Realistically, I can put in another ~50 hours before test day, focusing on improving my verbal score.

I'm thinking it may be good to just take it and see how I do, and intend to retake it (possibly twice) in Oct/Nov. Plus, I've heard you generally perform better on your 2nd/3rd attempt, so why not give it a go? I can sense I'm approaching burnout and would like to complete my first attempt soon. Also,I need to have a score for round 2 deadlines in late Dec/early Jan.

Thanks!

Hi
IMO it is very difficult to score a 700+ within 11 days, since you have scored 600 in the mock test. I would suggest to reschedule the exam, take a small break, refresh and take another attempt after ~1.5 month.
There are some stats that say that performance improves in 2nd/3rd attempt but it cannot be substantiated and varies from person to person.
Also, keep in mind the $250 of a retest.
I think you should give the test when you are best prepared to reach your target score.
Hope it helps.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 05:36
hockey408 wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Best to reschedule in this scenario. You don't have enough time to get a 100 point jump.
If budget is not a constraint then you can still give it a go to get a feel and all of the real exam. But score wise it is difficult to jump to your target range in so little time.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 05:58
Thanks for the advice. I agree and think 9/15 is too soon. I rescheduled for 11/10.
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:41
Hi hockey408,

Yeah, I would also reschedule. You can spend the money saved on extra exam packs.

I think you have to focus on quant. It is difficult to get 700+ without decent quant score
Attachments

gmatscore.gif
gmatscore.gif [ 68.88 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]

Non progredi est regredi

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:53
@
hockey408 wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Hi,
When you say mock exam , it is gmat prep exams or some other mocks ? please clarify,
Though it seems 100 point jump is too big leap in 11 days, it all depends upon you. If you think you can improve some areas in quant then go for it.

What to do if you are new to GMAT:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-if-you-are-new-272708.html#p2108758

GMAC official guides : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmac-official-guides-the-master-directory-links-240610.html#p1854935

Give me kudos if you like it , it's totally harmless :)

Intern
Intern
B
Take GMAT in 11 days or reschedule?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 11:01
I took a Kaplan practice test.

Is it really quant where I should be focusing? I thought doing better in verbal drives your score up more than doing better in quant.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 12:52
hockey408 wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

If you can spare the money you might aswell give it a go and cancel the score afterwards if it is far of your target.

Incase you do not want to risk wasting the 300$ I would recommend to reschedule the test.

Either way, best of luck my friend!

Regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 13:16
Hi hockey408,

This 600 is a nice improvement over the CAT Score you reported a little over a month ago - so you're clearly learning and improving. That having been said, raising a 600 to a 700+ will likely require at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Pushing back your Test Date was a smart choice. If you send me your Mistake Tracker for this recent CAT, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 20:58
hockey408 wrote:
I took a Kaplan practice test.

Is it really quant where I should be focusing? I thought doing better in verbal drives your score up more than doing better in quant.
Although a GMATPrep would be better than a non-official test, a Q38 is 33%, whereas a V34 is 71%. It does look like you need to work on your quant more than your verbal.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 10:28
Hi hockey408,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, I agree with much of what already has been said; raising your score 100+ points in just 11 days likely won't be possible. Thus, I’d reschedule the GMAT.

That being said, the larger question is why are you 100+ points below your score goal after studying for 150 hours, right? If you find that you still are not making the improvements you need, you may consider adjusting your study plan. If you need any advice on how to do so, feel free to reach out.

Also, you may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Take GMAT in 11 days or reschedule? &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 10:28

Take GMAT in 11 days or reschedule?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Unlimited tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount | GMAT Club tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap