GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Feb 2019, 19:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Consider These Criteria When Evaluating Business Schools

February 16, 2019

February 16, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Here are the criteria you should think about when evaluating business schools
  • MBA ADMISSIONS INTERVIEW: On Campus Vs. Off Campus

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Learn how On-Campus & Off-Campus interviews are structured, and when your should opt for on-campus interview. Subscribe to our Youtube channel to get notifications of upcoming videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEIeUiExox8otkETZFC9DKA

Tepper ($) vs. Fuqua ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Tepper vs. Fuqua

• 27% [3]
  • 72% [8]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Tepper ($) vs. Fuqua ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jan 2019, 10:47
Hi Guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I don't think I will be attending either admit weekend due to work and personal travel. Plus I plan to use the money on moving costs instead. That being said, I like both schools and am having a hard time picking one over the other. Goal is tech strategy and ops or consulting in BT.

Tepper Pros
- Cheaper than Fuqua and received a larger scholarship there ($10k more total)
- Tech-centric which aligns with my goals
- Fantastic alumni network (already in contact with one during my app process)
- Pittsburgh is pretty cool when I visited. I've always lived in the city or close to the city (15 min drive)
- Don't need to bring my car and drive. (I'll prob be able to sell it and get extra money)

Tepper Cons
- Brand recognition is not as high as Duke, lower ranking
- Known to be full of engineers. I'm worried I would fall behind in class (my math skills are average)
- Doesn't offer international exchange, only the 1 month capstone
- Have to travel with my groceries (first world problem)

Fuqua Pros
- Higher ranking, higher recognition
- More companies come on campus to recruit
- Fantastic alumni network (already in contact with one during my app process)
- More diverse class and background
- Duke basketball/interesting social experiences
- Option to do an exchange program

Fuqua Cons
- More expensive than Tepper. Tepper is on a fixed model but I see tuition here rising 3-5% every year.
- Not as academically challenged. I heard that the students are too rowdy. I want the right balance of academics and social.
- I'm actually on the younger end (25) but my party days are behind me except for celebratory occasions when I turn on my
"go big or go home" mode. I don't like to be overwhelmed with parties or drinking and would like to save my energy for recruiting events. <-- naturally introverted
- When you google Durham, you see crime reports. I decided to research some gated apartments with a garage but the prices were on par with a lot of major cities.
- Larger class size? I liked it at first as it would mean more people to meet but then I'm not sure if that hurts recruiting chances.

Originally posted by Haha222 on 17 Jan 2019, 13:27.
Last edited by Haha222 on 24 Jan 2019, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tepper ($) vs. Fuqua ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 20:10
Hi Haha222

It's a good situation to be in.

As per your goals, I believe Tepper suits better. (Tech and Ops). Also, you like the city so the next two years will be good compared to living in the city which you don't like. Tepper has engineers but I think class diversity will be there so you don't have to worry about engineers that much. The curriculum is Quant focused.

Personally, I would have chosen Duke due to their reputation and Team Fuqua. The city won't matter here because most of your time you will be spending in classes or with classmates. For the internship, you will go outside of Durham so It can work.

BTW Whichever school you attend, your classmates will be experienced and well learned so don't worry about the brightest bulb thing.

I hope you make the right choice. All the best.

Haha222 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I don't think I will be attending either admit weekend due to work and personal travel. Plus I plan to use the money on

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tepper ($) vs. Fuqua ($)   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 20:10

Tepper ($) vs. Fuqua ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap