GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 22:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:38) correct 55% (01:57) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life, property, and morale of a country. The effects of a terrorist attack are not just immediate and can have long-lasting, trickle-down effects as well. The fear, for example, takes a long time to die down. However, some of these repercussions can be beneficial to the country. Take for instance, the recent terrorist attack on our capital city. In the weeks following the attack, the crime rate in the city came down significantly from what it was just before the attack. This must primarily be due to the increased presence of police resources that were moved to the area and is thus an indirect effect of the attack.

Which of the following options gives one more option as to why the crime rate decreased because of the terrorist attacks?

A. The capital city is under increased monitoring leading to quick detection of crimes - many times while the crime is still underway.

B. A number of people are frightened because of the terrorist attacks and have fled the capital city.

C. There was a recorded decrease in crime rate right after the terrorist attack in almost all cities of the country.

D. Intel reports show that the terrorists who pulled off the attack had been committing various other smaller crimes regularly to distract law enforcement from their true purposes.

E. The government had initiated schemes to decrease poverty and provide better livelihood for the people just before the terrorist attack.

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

Math Expert
V
Re: Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 22:46
vaibhav1221 wrote:
Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life, property, and morale of a country. The effects of a terrorist attack are not just immediate and can have long-lasting, trickle-down effects as well. The fear, for example, takes a long time to die down. However, some of these repercussions can be beneficial to the country. Take for instance, the recent terrorist attack on our capital city. In the weeks following the attack, the crime rate in the city came down significantly from what it was just before the attack. This must primarily be due to the increased presence of police resources that were moved to the area and is thus an indirect effect of the attack.

Which of the following options gives one more option as to why the crime rate decreased because of the terrorist attacks?

A. The capital city is under increased monitoring leading to quick detection of crimes - many times while the crime is still underway.

B. A number of people are frightened because of the terrorist attacks and have fled the capital city.

C. There was a recorded decrease in crime rate right after the terrorist attack in almost all cities of the country.

D. Intel reports show that the terrorists who pulled off the attack had been committing various other smaller crimes regularly to distract law enforcement from their true purposes.

E. The government had initiated schemes to decrease poverty and provide better livelihood for the people just before the terrorist attack.

wow what weird imagination. Will a question ever justify some advantages?? of a terrorist attack.
you can dump this resource and not waste your time.

Even if you are looking for an answer to this..

reasoning:-
terrorist attacks lead indirectly to lesser crime and extra policing is given as one reason.
what could be other reason..

YES, if there has been an increased monitoring in form of CCTV or police presence now...

out of context

this is no reason that it will happen here. we are looking for - why?

YES, these small crimes would have stopped now

out of context

so A and C are both probables..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
S
Re: Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 01:29
chetan2u wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:

wow what weird imagination. Will a question ever justify some advantages?? of a terrorist attack.

terrorist attacks lead indirectly to lesser crime and extra policing is given as one reason.

YES, if there has been an increased monitoring in form of CCTV or police presence now...

out of context

out of context

Hi chetan2u!
This is my first 'New Post' and I am certainly very happy to respond.
I agree with you on the weirdness of the prompt question, however, with all due respect, just on the basis of the logic of the prompt, which does not adhere to our logical thinking, one cannot deem it incorrect.
I have seen quite a few questions (only limited are free) from the same source on gmatclub (only confident about verbal). This source might not be the best, but it is certainly not the worst either.
Regarding the confusion about the correct answer i.e between A and D (I think you had written C by mistake, because your explanation suggests A and D), A is already mentioned in the paragraph in the highlighted text and this makes D a clear winner.

Regards,
Vaibhav

Regards,

Vaibhav

~GMAC

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 03:20
vaibhav1221 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:

out of context

out of context

Hi chetan2u!
This is my first 'New Post' and I am certainly very happy to respond.
I agree with you on the weirdness of the prompt question, however, with all due respect, just on the basis of the logic of the prompt, which does not adhere to our logical thinking, one cannot deem it incorrect.
I have seen quite a few questions (only limited are free) from the same source on gmatclub (only confident about verbal). This source might not be the best, but it is certainly not the worst either.
Regarding the confusion about the correct answer i.e between A and D (I think you had written C by mistake, because your explanation suggests A and D), A is already mentioned in the paragraph in the highlighted text and this makes D a clear winner.

Regards,
Vaibhav

In GMAT, anything on racial, gender and I can surely add finding something good in terrorist attack as a NO GO. If the so called source is unable to understand this, it is not reliable.
As far as A is concerned, police resources and increased monitoring are not the same .
After terrorist attacks, the monitoring is being done by army, CCTV which may be personal or on shop or on mall.

So A is not out.

Posted from my mobile device

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 06:36
Hi chetan2u!
Thanks for the insight into the GMAT no go. I'll make sure that I dont go back there. Regarding A vs D, i still feel its D, however, its no good to ponder over this because its not from a source that is in accordance with the GMAT rules.

Thanks and regards,
Vaibhav

Regards,

Vaibhav

~GMAC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 10:01
Since A is already mentioned and the question asks for another string reason, D is best.

Is the source debatable ?? Why so much fuss about the argument ??

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 10:17
SonalSinha803 wrote:
Since A is already mentioned and the question asks for another string reason, D is best.

Is the source debatable ?? Why so much fuss about the argument ??

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

I am not entirely sure about the source. I have seen questions from the same source on gmatclub. The logical fallacy of the argument may be debatable, as pointed out by chetan2u.

Regards,

Vaibhav

~GMAC

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 19:10
OFFICIAL SOLUTION

The argument claims that there can be some benefits to terrorist attacks, such as the decrease in crime rates. The author argues that the crime rate was influenced by the recent terrorist attack. In order to further add credibility to the author’s argument, the correct option must establish that the terrorist attack had some tie to the crime rate in the city.

Option (A) repeats a fact that is mentioned in the argument – that there is an increase in policing. However, instead of saying that the increase in police forces is dissuading the criminals, the options states that they are getting caught red-handed. This option does not imply that the crime rate has come down – only that the criminals are being increasingly caught.

Option (B) extends a remark made in the argument about people feeling fear. However, what does this discussion have to do with the crime rate? The option makes no mention of the impact that the fleeing had on the crime rate.

Option (C) states that the crime rate has come down. However, this decrease in crime rate need not have anything to do with the terrorist attacks. The option does nothing to establish this link.

Option (D) implies that the terrorists had been contributing to the crime rate. This implies that, now that they have implemented their plan, they are no longer committing petty crimes to distract the police and that the crime rate has come down. Ultimately, the option strengthens the argument by establishing a link between the crime rate and the terrorist attacks.

There need not necessarily be a link between crime and poverty. Even if that were the case, Option (E) would weaken the argument and not strengthen it. If the government had been taking measures to bring down the crime rate, then the crime rate has not come down because of the terrorist attack.

Regards,

Vaibhav

~GMAC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 19:10

Terrorist attacks invariably lead to tremendous losses in life

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap