GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 08:23
I eliminated C because I thought "it" does not have a clear reference.
Can please someone help me and explain to me, to what "it" is referring?

Thank you.
Kind regards.
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 11:46
22gmat wrote:
I eliminated C because I thought "it" does not have a clear reference.
Can please someone help me and explain to me, to what "it" is referring?

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Here "it" is a placeholder, i.e. it holds the place of a subject or an object phrase that is required to be shifted to the end of the sentence to avoid awkwardness:

To see you is good.
It is good to see you.: Placeholder "it" holds the position of "to see you".

That we found a way out was critical for us.
It was critical for us that we found a way out.: Placeholder "it" holds the position of "that we found a way out".

Do not search for an antecedent for a placeholder "it".

Similarly, in this example:

They consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record.

"It" is placeholder for "that all of their employees have a clean criminal record".

Without the placeholder"it" the sentence would be awkward:
That all of their employees have a clean criminal record they consider important.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 20:48
are the words "necessary" and "prerequisites" redundant?
thanks
KHV
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 00:07
khv, prerequisites are necessary by definition, so yes, that's redundant. The phrase "necessary prerequisite" certainly gets thrown around a bit in everyday usage, perhaps to emphasize a prerequisite that you really should/must meet rather than one that is simply traditional, but I don't think we'd be likely to see this usage in a correct SC answer.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 16:17
tejal777 wrote:
That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

(A) That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to investment banks which is why a stringent background check is a necessary prerequisite for all of their job applicants.

(B) Clean criminal records of their employees is important to investment banks; hence, a stringent background check are necessary prerequisites for employment.

(C) Because they consider it important that all of their employees have a clean criminal record, investment banks require each job applicant to undergo a stringent background check.

(D) It is of some importance that all investment banks’ workers have clean criminal records which is why many of them undergo stringent background checks.

(E) The reason that investment banks require background checks of their applicants is because they require clean criminal records of their employees.

Official Solution (Credit: Manhattan Prep)

The sentence has several errors of concision. First, the structure “X is of … importance which is why Y is a … prerequisite” is awkward and wordy, and can be more concisely written as follows: “Because [X is … important], [Y is … necessary].” Second, both “some importance” and “necessary prerequisite” are redundant: if something is “important” it has "some importance"; similarly, a “prerequisite” is by definition “necessary.”

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The singular verb “is” does not agree with the plural subject “records.” In addition, the plural verb "are" does not agree with the singular subject "background check." Finally, the phrase “necessary prerequisite” is redundant.

(C) CORRECT. The redundant and passive clause “X is of significant importance to investment banks” is replaced by the more concise and active clause “they [investment banks] consider X important.” In addition, the redundant and passive clause “a background check is a necessary prerequisite [of investment banks]” is replaced by the more concise and active “investment banks require background checks.” Finally, the entire sentence is rewritten in the concise form “Because X, Y.”

(D) The phrase “some importance” is redundant and wordy. In addition, the meaning of the sentence has been changed to state that “many” of the employees underwent a background check; the original sentence asserted that the background check was required, and, therefore, was submitted to by all.

(E) The structure “the reason X is because Y” is redundant. The proper idiom is either “the reason X is Y” or “Y is because X.” In addition, it is not clear whether the pronouns “they” and “their” refer to “investment banks” or “applicants.”

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 16:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

That every worker has a clean criminal record is of some importance to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap