GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
303112345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
272829303112
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

     January 17, 2019

     January 17, 2019

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     January 19, 2019

     January 19, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4486
The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2013, 10:40
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (02:05) correct 63% (02:02) wrong based on 201 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Set for yourself a strict 90 second limit for this questions.
Image
The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is separated by one unit, vertically or horizontally, from its nearest neighbors. Drawn in the diagram is a single right triangle with legs of length 2 & 1. How many right triangles, congruent to this one, of any orientation, can be formed by three dots from this grid?
(A) 360
(B) 480
(C) 600
(D) 720
(E) 3600


If you are are the type of person that has always felt reasonably comfortable with math, but on GMAT math, you find yourself always running out of time and not able to get to the answer fast enough, then this post is for you:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/
BTW, it also contains an elegant solution to this problem.

Let me know if anyone has any related questions.

Mike :-)
Attachment:
11 x 11 grid with 2 by 1 triangle.JPG
11 x 11 grid with 2 by 1 triangle.JPG [ 25.35 KiB | Viewed 7259 times ]

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2013
Posts: 6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2013, 11:52
for the grid 9 X 9 we can draw 8 triangles for each point i.e 81*8= 648

for the remaining points it is less than 8 so the maximum triangles we can draw is 81*8 + ( < 40*7)
so the triangle range is between 648 and 918. in the given option only D satisfies this range
so answer is D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 193
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2013, 16:15
1
well there are 10 * 9 possible starting places for the triangle.

There are 4 different orientations (IE rotate it 90 degrees four times).

BUt there are twice as many triangles in actuality because we need to invert/flip it.

So 10*9*4*2 = 720
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Location: India
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-20-2013
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2013, 12:51
I did not understand the solution can you please help
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4486
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2013, 13:29
jasu0072005 wrote:
I did not understand the solution can you please help

Please see the entire blog article:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/
You will find a full explanation there.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 52
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2013, 04:49
Hi Mike,

Suppose i want to go by another approach,one that does not take rectangles into the picture.

Let us make this our XY coordinate system.
Let us call the triangle ABC so that A has the right angle AB is parallel to the X axis and AC is parallel to the Y axis(in one of the possible orientations).

Case 1: horizontal is 2 units long and vertical is one unit long(for triangle ABC)

Point A: It has 9 options for its X coordinate and 10 options for the Y coordinate. So 90 possible options for A
Point B: will always be restricted by the length given in the question. So only 1 option possible.
Point C:will always be restricted by the vertical length given . so only one option.

So total number of triangles possible in this orientation=90.

SImilarly, we will have 90 triangles possible with this fixed orientation and with the vertical length =2units.

Summing, we have 90+90=180 triangles possible.
Now, this where I get stuck.

Could you help me how to go ahead with the number of different orientations possible?
Maybe with permutations perhaps??

Thanks in advance
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4486
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2013, 10:49
Dear bhang,

You are not counting all orientations. For example, for Case I, 2 units hor & 1 units vert ----- Is B to the right or left of A? Is C above or below A? You see, for any Case I triangle,you are only counting B to the right of A and C above A, but either one of those could still be different.
Did you read my full solution on the linked page above?

Mike :-)


12bhang wrote:
Hi Mike,

Suppose i want to go by another approach,one that does not take rectangles into the picture.

Let us make this our XY coordinate system.
Let us call the triangle ABC so that A has the right angle AB is parallel to the X axis and AC is parallel to the Y axis(in one of the possible orientations).

Case 1: horizontal is 2 units long and vertical is one unit long(for triangle ABC)

Point A: It has 9 options for its X coordinate and 10 options for the Y coordinate. So 90 possible options for A
Point B: will always be restricted by the length given in the question. So only 1 option possible.
Point C:will always be restricted by the vertical length given . so only one option.

So total number of triangles possible in this orientation=90.

SImilarly, we will have 90 triangles possible with this fixed orientation and with the vertical length =2units.

Summing, we have 90+90=180 triangles possible.
Now, this where I get stuck.

Could you help me how to go ahead with the number of different orientations possible?
Maybe with permutations perhaps??

Thanks in advance

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2013
Posts: 26
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2013, 00:11
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear bhang,

You are not counting all orientations. For example, for Case I, 2 units hor & 1 units vert ----- Is B to the right or left of A? Is C above or below A? You see, for any Case I triangle,you are only counting B to the right of A and C above A, but either one of those could still be different.
Did you read my full solution on the linked page above?

Mike :-)


12bhang wrote:
Hi Mike,

Suppose i want to go by another approach,one that does not take rectangles into the picture.

Let us make this our XY coordinate system.
Let us call the triangle ABC so that A has the right angle AB is parallel to the X axis and AC is parallel to the Y axis(in one of the possible orientations).

Case 1: horizontal is 2 units long and vertical is one unit long(for triangle ABC)

Point A: It has 9 options for its X coordinate and 10 options for the Y coordinate. So 90 possible options for A
Point B: will always be restricted by the length given in the question. So only 1 option possible.
Point C:will always be restricted by the vertical length given . so only one option.

So total number of triangles possible in this orientation=90.

SImilarly, we will have 90 triangles possible with this fixed orientation and with the vertical length =2units.

Summing, we have 90+90=180 triangles possible.
Now, this where I get stuck.

Could you help me how to go ahead with the number of different orientations possible?
Maybe with permutations perhaps??

Thanks in advance


Hey mike why didnt you use the number of points (121) and used only orientations and inversion?
For eg in case -2<x<4 and 6<y<16, we count all the points?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 533
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2015, 06:49
1
1
mikemcgarry wrote:
Set for yourself a strict 90 second limit for this questions.
Attachment:
The attachment 11 x 11 grid with 2 by 1 triangle.JPG is no longer available

The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is separated by one unit, vertically or horizontally, from its nearest neighbors. Drawn in the diagram is a single right triangle with legs of length 2 & 1. How many right triangles, congruent to this one, of any orientation, can be formed by three dots from this grid?
(A) 360
(B) 480
(C) 600
(D) 720
(E) 3600


If you are are the type of person that has always felt reasonably comfortable with math, but on GMAT math, you find yourself always running out of time and not able to get to the answer fast enough, then this post is for you:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/
BTW, it also contains an elegant solution to this problem.

Let me know if anyone has any related questions.

Mike :-)

this can be solved pretty quickly by visualizing the possible orientations of letter 'L' .
as shown in picture, there are 8 possible ways to rotate letter L and for each position we will have 10*9 = 90 such triangles.

so 8*90 = 720 is answer .

Answer D
Attachments

gmatclub.jpg
gmatclub.jpg [ 13.8 KiB | Viewed 4281 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 359
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 09:08
My take on this one.. can be solved in the 90 sec time...
Congruent triangles will fit on each other perfectly essentially triangles of same dimensions.
the only orientations possible are picking 2 spaces i.e.,3 dots horizontally or vertically.
If you see diagonally the length of the sides will be longer. hence only two possible orientations.
Horizontally
out of 10 spaces we need 2 continuous spaces...so 9c2(we need two continuous spaces hence 2 spaces will be considered as 1)
the one space 10c1
Total :9c2 * 10C1 =360
Vertically same :360
total 360*2=720

*Please feel free to point out any errors in my reasoning*
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2016
Posts: 33
Premium Member
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 04:51
@
goforgmat wrote:
My take on this one.. can be solved in the 90 sec time...
Congruent triangles will fit on each other perfectly essentially triangles of same dimensions.
the only orientations possible are picking 2 spaces i.e.,3 dots horizontally or vertically.
If you see diagonally the length of the sides will be longer. hence only two possible orientations.
Horizontally
out of 10 spaces we need 2 continuous spaces...so 9c2(we need two continuous spaces hence 2 spaces will be considered as 1)
the one space 10c1
Total :9c2 * 10C1 =360
Vertically same :360
total 360*2=720

*Please feel free to point out any errors in my reasoning*


Can you please explain why we need 10 spaces horizontally? (or vertically)? can you please walk me through the way of thinking??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 359
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2016, 22:14
1
georgekaterji wrote:
@
goforgmat wrote:
My take on this one.. can be solved in the 90 sec time...
Congruent triangles will fit on each other perfectly essentially triangles of same dimensions.
the only orientations possible are picking 2 spaces i.e.,3 dots horizontally or vertically.
If you see diagonally the length of the sides will be longer. hence only two possible orientations.
Horizontally
out of 10 spaces we need 2 continuous spaces...so 9c2(we need two continuous spaces hence 2 spaces will be considered as 1)
the one space 10c1
Total :9c2 * 10C1 =360
Vertically same :360
total 360*2=720

*Please feel free to point out any errors in my reasoning*


Can you please explain why we need 10 spaces horizontally? (or vertically)? can you please walk me through the way of thinking??

We need to connect three dots (horizontally or vertically), three dots continuously has 2 spaces continuously. We cant select any two spaces we need to select two continuous ones so we need to treat 2 continuous as 1 hence selecting 9c2.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9419
Premium Member
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 17:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jan 2019, 17:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The above 11 x 11 grid of dots is evenly spaced: each dot is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.