GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 10:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The administration has increased the number of fines for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Texas - TEMBA
GMAT ToolKit User
The administration has increased the number of fines for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2010, 18:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (04:02) correct 41% (00:36) wrong based on 487 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The administration has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their campaign to protect miners.

A. has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
B. have increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
C. has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of its
D. has increased the amount of fines for mining safety violations as part of its
E. have increased the amount of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The administration has increased the number of fines for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2010, 08:38
The number here refers to the instances or situations in which fine are imposed for violations. If the number before was four times, now, the admin is seeking to increase it to say eight times. So the amount of money is not involved here.

The admin being singular, the verb will be has and the pronoun its – A, B and E are out.

In addition, when a plural noun such as fines is used, we have to use a countable subject or object and the right choice will be the one using the countable number – Between C and D, C is the choice therefore;

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2010, 18:58
i also went with D but since the violations are more , maybe they mean that number of tickets issued will be increased as well. We can only take the simple option i guess and not actually worry about amounts,etc...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2010, 13:36
The sentence states to increase the "number of fines" to protect miners.
It means the number of fines (not the cost of fine) will be increased.
"amount" will only hold true for cost a particular fine.
As plural noun fines is used, thus above sentence talks about number of fines not about the cost of a fine.
Thus C is a best option among others stated.
Schools: Carey '16

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2010, 16:53
C is the best because fines is a countable number where you can count it as...one fine, two fine, etc etc...

thus making it a countable modifier whereas uncountable modifiers such as amount cannot be counted.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2010, 02:44
+1 for D.

Sounds ridiculous to say number of fines! Miners can be protected by improing the safety guideliness and increasing the amount of fines for violating any of those guideliness ---- The number of would make sense if the sentence was talking about the guideliness! Its illogical to say there would be cap on the max/min number of fines handed out in case of violations........

GMAT english is killing me :( Grrrrrrrr........

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 23:44
IMO C. As Abhas59 said, Increase in the the amount will go only 1 fine or may not be the uniform, as the choice D suggests. Therefore it makes more sense to select C as the number of fines are being increased.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 04:05
I believe both C & D are correct grammatically.

In the end it boils down to the meaning of the original sentence. Has the original sentence said amount, I am sure the answer would have been D. I believe the argument of number vs amount is irrelevant.

Kudos if I helped ;)

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The administration has increased the number of fines for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2016, 19:17
arirux92 wrote:
I believe both C & D are correct grammatically.

In the end it boils down to the meaning of the original sentence. Has the original sentence said amount, I am sure the answer would have been D. I believe the argument of number vs amount is irrelevant.

arirux92

I see your point and do agree to an extent. However please note that fines is plural. If one used amount, then probably singular fine would have to be used to convey the correct meaning. (although plural fines would still make sense as explained at the end of this post)

Correct: ...increased number of fines... (meaning: before there were x no. of fines, now there are x+y no. of fines)
Correct: ...increased amount of fine.... ( meaning: before Rs. x was fined, now Rs. x+y is fined)

Nonetheless, amount of fines could also be correct (meaning: the money charged for all the fines have been increased)

Bottom line: I agree with you in any case :-D
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 07:19
reply from mgmat staff

The difference between (C) and (D) is the "number of fines" vs. the "amount of fines." We use "number of" for countable nouns and "amount of" for uncountable nouns. For example, we would use "number of hats" because we can count hats: one hat, two hats, etc. However, we would use "amount of water" because water is not countable; we would not count one water, two waters, etc.

The intent of the question is to say that those who violate mining safety will incur more fines. Because we can count fines (the violators will face one fine, two fines, three fines, etc.), we'll use "number of fines."

If the sentence wanted to say that the amount on the fines would be increased (a $50 fine was increased to $100), perhaps it would say "increased the amounts of the fines for mining safety violations."
Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 01:21
TXTDryFly wrote:
The administration has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their campaign to protect miners.

A. has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
B. have increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of their
C. has increased the number of fines for mining safety violations as part of its
D. has increased the amount of fines for mining safety violations as part of its
E. have increased the amount of fines for mining safety violations as part of their

Fines, just like tickets, are a countable item so the correct term is "number of." How many students are in the room? How many tickets do you have? How many seats are there? How much water is there?
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2017, 03:06
The original sentence contains one error; the plural “their” can not refer to the singular
“administration.”

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice repeats the original error; the plural “their” can not refer to the singular
“administration.” Furthermore, the plural “have increased” does not agree with “administration.”

(C) CORRECT. Choice C correctly employs the singular “has increased” and “its”; both agree with the
singular “administration.”

(D) This choice correctly uses the singular “has increased” and “its”; both agree with the singular
“administration.” However, the use of “amount” is incorrect. “Amount is used for
uncountable quantities. “Fines” are countable, and so “number” should be used.

(E) Choice E incorrectly uses “amount.” “Amount is used for uncountable quantities. “Fines” are
countable, and so “number” should be used. Also, the plural “have increased” and the plural “their”
cannot refer to the singular “administration.”

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Re: The administration has increased the number of fines for &nbs [#permalink] 23 Sep 2017, 03:06

The administration has increased the number of fines for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap