Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2099 [14]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [5]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
monir6000 wrote:
The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Andes Mountains of Peru, had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation.

A: had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation
B: had been built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
C: was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
D: was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
E: was built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation

First, the correct tense is past simple instead of past perfect. So, eliminate choice A and B.

Second, "such a high attitude that" is the correct form. The other forms such as "so high of an altitude that" and "high enough altitude that" are not correct.
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Ande [#permalink]
SudiptoGmat wrote:
The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Andes Mountains of Peru, had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation.

A. had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation

B. had been built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
C. was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
D. was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
E. was built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation

OE:

3. The original sentence contains several flaws. First, the past perfect "had been" is unnecessary here because there is only one past event. Second, "high enough" implies that the oxygen deprivation was a goal of the Incas. Third, "it" in this context is ambiguous: is it the altitude or the city that makes tourists sick? Finally, "sick with" is incorrect. It should be "sick from."
(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.
(B) This choice incorrectly uses the past perfect "had been." Additionally, the pronoun "it" is ambiguous in this context and the phrase "so high of an altitude" is awkward.
(C) This choice incorrectly uses the phrases "high enough altitude" and "sick with."
(D) CORRECT. The simple past verb "was" correctly replaces the past perfect verb "had been." The phrase "such a high altitude" replaces "high enough altitude." The sentence is rewritten to avoid ambiguity by removing the pronoun "it." Finally, this choice uses the phrase "sick from" in place of the unidiomatic "sick with."
(E) This choice incorrectly uses the awkward phrase "so high of an altitude." Additionally, the pronoun "it" in this context is ambiguous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: The ancient Inca city of Macchu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Ande [#permalink]
So I have a question about the usage of "sick with":
In many dictionaries, "sick with" is a legit idiom, for example:
sick with worry (American Heritage Dictionary)
He fell sick with malaria on a trip to Africa (Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary)
I have been sick with flu. (Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English)

Can anyone help me on this one please, thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM

Quick analysis:
1. Tense error: The 2nd part of the sentence is in present tense, so why should we use Past Perfect tense for the 1st part? Past Perfect describes an action that happens before another action happens in the past.
2. Pronoun reference error: I honestly don't know what "It" is referring to. Perhaps the ancient Inca city? But the city does not makes the tourists. It is oxygen deprivation that makes them sick.

Quote:
A. had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation

Tense error
Quote:
B. had been built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation

Tense error
Quote:
C. was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city

Idiom error : you became sick from, not sick with.
Quote:
D. was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city

Correct
Quote:
E. was built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation

2. Pronoun reference error
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
KellanZ wrote:
He fell sick with malaria on a trip to Africa (Oxford Advanced Learner Dictionary)

He is sick with worry.
He fell sick with malaria.

However,

He got sick from Coronavirus.
He became sick from lack of oxygen.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
Kudos
KellanZ wrote:

Here is my approach:

Eliminate B and E because of use of "so high" which is an incorrect idiom. Generally GMAT does not prefer use of 'so', I have observed this after practicing over 200 questions. So be alert when you see 'so' in sentences. Typically, 'as' is preferred over 'so'.

Left with A, C and D. One major difference is: sick with or sick from?

"Sick with" conveys the actual disease. Sick with fever, Sick with malaria, Sick with a stomach bug.

"Sick from" conveys the reason of disease. Sick from drinking so much last night, Sick from ingesting too many gummyworms, etc

Oxygen deprivation is a reason of illness, not actual illness. So choose "Sick from". D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Below is the ORIGINAL QUESTION: -
The ancient Inca city of Machu Picchu, perched on a ridge in the Andes Mountains of Peru, had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation.

A.had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
B.had been built at such a high altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
C.was built at a high enough altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
D.was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
E.was built at such a high altitude that it had often made modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
tuanquang269 wrote:
monir6000 wrote:

A: had been built at a high enough altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick with oxygen deprivation
B: had been built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation
C: was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
D: was built at such a high altitude that modern-day tourists from lower elevations often become sick from oxygen deprivation when visiting the city
E: was built at so high of an altitude that it often makes modern-day tourists from lower elevations sick from oxygen deprivation

First, the correct tense is past simple instead of past perfect. So, eliminate choice A and B.

Second, "such a high attitude that" is the correct form. The other forms such as "so high of an altitude that" and "high enough altitude that" are not correct.

Why is "high enough altitude that" incorrect? Kindly explain. I am clear with other reasons though.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30792 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DeepanshuGupta wrote:

Why is "high enough altitude that" incorrect? Kindly explain. I am clear with other reasons though.

Hey DeepanshuGupta

Happy to help.

The problem with "high enough altitude that" is the word "enough". "Enough" has a positive connotation to it. So, when we say that "The ancient Inca city was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city", it appears that the people who built that ancient city did so with the intention to "make modern day tourists sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city".

So, "enough" is the wrong word because it paints the wrong picture. The author does not wish to say that the altitude was sufficient to meet an objective. The author wishes to emphasize the greatness of altitude. For this, it is better to use the "so/such ... that..." construct. The ancient city was so high that modern tourists often became sick.

I hope this helps improve your understanding of the importance of meaning analysis.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
egmat wrote:
DeepanshuGupta wrote:

Hey DeepanshuGupta

Happy to help.

The problem with "high enough altitude that" is the word "enough". "Enough" has a positive connotation to it. So, when we say that "The ancient Inca city was built at a high enough altitude that modern day tourists from lower elevations often become sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city", it appears that the people who built that ancient city did so with the intention to "make modern day tourists sick with oxygen deprivation when visiting the city".

So, "enough" is the wrong word because it paints the wrong picture. The author does not wish to say that the altitude was sufficient to meet an objective. The author wishes to emphasize the greatness of altitude. For this, it is better to use the "so/such ... that..." construct. The ancient city was so high that modern tourists often became sick.

I hope this helps improve your understanding of the importance of meaning analysis.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek

Thankyou!! :angel: I am feeling as if meaning clarity has more weightage as compared with the rules.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30792 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeepanshuGupta wrote:

Thankyou!! :angel: I am feeling as if meaning clarity has more weightage as compared with the rules.

Hey DeepanshuGupta

You're welcome.

That's actually true Deepanshu. "Meaning" does indeed play a far more important role in GMAT SC than grammar. And I'm glad you're beginning to realize this. I'm not saying grammar is not important. We certainly need to know the basics of Standard English Grammar. However, Sentence Correction is a test of Verbal Reasoning and Communication more than of our knowledge of arcane rules of English Grammar. I say this because:

1. As you go higher up the difficulty ladder, almost all questions have multiple grammatically correct answer choices of which only one conveys the author's intended meaning correctly and unambiguously.
    2. If you don't first figure out what the author wants to say, you will not be able to select the most appropriate grammatical construct to convey that meaning.
    3. The GMAT does not test any of the stiltedly formal rules of English Grammar, nor does it frame questions on grammatically controversial issues. This only goes to say that the GMAT doesn't care about diving into and discovering what's grammatically correct and what's not. All SC questions lie within what's grammatically standard and accepted worldwide.

To conclude, make sure you learn the basics of Standard English Grammar, but, at the same time, make sure you approach every concept and question from a meaning perspective. If the concept has no bearing on meaning, it WILL NOT be tested on the GMAT. So "meaning" is your COMPASS.

I hope this helps.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts