GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 00:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Re: The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2019, 13:17
Skywalker18 wrote:
I was down to options A and D and chose option A.

A on negation, The tetracycline deposits did form after the bodies were buried.
D on negation, Tetracycline is rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.
Both options seem like assumptions to me.

They could both be assumptions, but, of the two, only (D) is necessary for arriving at the conclusion. If (A) is not true, the argument still has some decent support for the conclusion that the ancient Nubians consumed tetracycline when they consumed food. If (D) is not true, then the conclusion is virtually unsupported.

It's a funny question though, I have to admit, because the part about the bone deposits is part of the support for the conclusion, and that support does not work without (A).

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member
The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2019, 16:35
nightblade354 GMATNinja MagooshExpert MartyTargetTestPrep IanStewart

Can we somehow confirm that this is an official GMATPrep question? Usually, Assumption questions (1) have a big gap or (2) can be challenged. In the first case, a correct answer choice (assumption) closes the gap. In the second case, an assumption "kills" the challenge so that the argument can stand.

IMO, option (A) looks like a good challenger to the conclusion, which says that antibiotic probably explains the low incidence of disease in skeletons. If we negate (A) we literally say that antibiotic (that is generated from bacteria that sits in the soil) killed / cured the disease after the bodies were buried.

I agree that (D) is a bit stronger challenger than (A), but both are good. This is why I doubt that this is an official question.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 06:28
mykrasovski wrote:
nightblade354 GMATNinja MagooshExpert MartyTargetTestPrep IanStewart

Can we somehow confirm that this is an official GMATPrep question? Usually, Assumption questions (1) have a big gap or (2) can be challenged. In the first case, a correct answer choice (assumption) closes the gap. In the second case, an assumption "kills" the challenge so that the argument can stand.

IMO, option (A) looks like a good challenger to the conclusion, which says that antibiotic probably explains the low incidence of disease in skeletons. If we negate (A) we literally say that antibiotic (that is generated from bacteria that sits in the soil) killed / cured the disease after the bodies were buried.

I agree that (D) is a bit stronger challenger than (A), but both are good. This is why I doubt that this is an official question.

Question looks legitimate to me. See my explanation above and let me know if that clears anything up.

My CR Guide: Here
My RC Guide: Here
Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here
Want to know your Business School chances? Go: Here
Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 09:03
Hi nightblade354 I indeed read your post yesterday (few times) :)

I guess the reason why (A) is incorrect is because it attacks the premise. And you discussed what consequences this attack has. Option (D), however, directly addresses the conclusion. Without (D), the argument falls apart big time. Things are clear now. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 09:51
The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet surprisingly few of their skeletons show the usual evidence of this disease. The skeletons do show deposits of tetracycline, an antibiotic produced by a bacterium common in Nubian soil. This bacterium can flourish on the dried grain used for making two staples of the Nubian diet, beer and bread. Thus, tetracycline in their food probably explains the low incidence of typhus among ancient Nubians.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?

(A) The tetracycline deposits did not form after the bodies were buried.

(B) The diseases other than typhus to which the ancient Nubians were exposed would not be affected by tetracycline.

(C) Typhus is generally fatal.

(D) Tetracycline is not rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.

(E) Bread and beer were the only foods eaten by the ancient Nubians which could have contained tetracycline.

d is correct
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 09:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics