It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 342 [4], given: 34

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2012, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:36) correct 47% (01:31) wrong based on 822 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet surprisingly few of their skeletons show the usual evidence of this disease. The skeletons do show deposits of tetracycline, an antibiotic produced by a bacterium common in Nubian soil. This bacterium can flourish on the dried grain used for making two staples of the Nubian diet, beer and bread. Thus, tetracycline in their food probably explains the low incidence of typhus among ancient Nubians.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?

(A) The tetracycline deposits did not form after the bodies were buried.

(B) The diseases other than typhus to which the ancient Nubians were exposed would not be affected by tetracycline.

(C) Typhus is generally fatal.

(D) Tetracycline is not rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.

(E) Bread and beer were the only foods eaten by the ancient Nubians which could have contained tetracycline.

Similar question from GMATPrep: LINK
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Kudos [?]: 342 [4], given: 34

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 34

Re: The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2012, 17:35
aligol wrote:
My vote is A :)

Please substantiate your answer with reasoning. It will help.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/1000-sc-notes-at-one-place-in-one-document-with-best-of-explanations-192961.html

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 719 [1], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2012, 20:43
This post received
KUDOS
Choice D is really the assumption of the argument. It defend the case that the tetracycline is exposed into ineffective form after processing through baker.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2012, 01:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
such a tricky question :shock:
Now, I think D is the correct one. Both A and D look correct, but what makes D the correct one, is the part that says "Thus, tetracycline in their food probably explains..."

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2012, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Use negate technique for choice A: The tetracycline deposits FORMED after the bodies were buried.

If the tetracycline formed after the bodies were buried, this kind of antibiotic still did not relate to the tetracycline that produced by bacteria in beer and bread.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2012, 10:56
Will vote for D because

Question type : Assumption (Strengthen the conclusion)

conclusion : tetracycline in food explains the low incidence of typhus among ancient Nubians.

Premise 1: skeletons do show deposits of tetracyclinean antibiotic produced by a bacterium common in Nubian soil.

Premise 2: This bacterium can flourish on the dried grain used for making two staples of the Nubian diet, beer and bread.

A. The tetracycline deposits did not form after the bodies were buried.
--> one of the premise already state that "skeletons show the usual evidence of this disease", so option A cannot be true

B. The diseases other than typhus to which the ancient Nubians were exposed would not be affected by tetracycline.
--> Out of scope nothing talking about another diseases

C. Typhus is generally fatal.
--> Doesnot strengthe the conclusion.

D. Tetracycline is not rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.
--> Provide additional evidence that will strength the conclusion. If the Tetracycline which acts as antibiotic is not destroyed in the process of making bread or beer, then we can correctly conclude that
tetracycline in food probably explains the low incidence of typhus.
Correct

using ANT
Tetracycline is rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.
This clearly contradicts the conclusion, if Tetracycline doesnot act as antibiotic, then incidence of typhus would have been higher

E. Bread and beer were the only foods eaten by the ancient Nubians which could have contained tetracycline.
--> wrong because thay cannot be only source as they were made from grains and bacterium flourished on the dried grain.

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 16

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1227 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2012, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet surprisingly few of their skeletons show the usual evidence of this disease. The skeletons do show deposits of tetracycline, an antibiotic produced by a bacterium common in Nubian soil. This bacterium can flourish on the dried grain used for making two staples of the Nubian diet, beer and bread. Thus, tetracycline in their food probably explains the low incidence of typhus among ancient Nubians.

So I chose (D), because it most directly speaks to the evidence in the argument, "tetracycline in their food...'. However, I do not know whether this would be a valid GMAT question. (A) also provides a perfectly reasonable assumption on which the argument depends. If the tetracycline entered bodies after those bodies had been buried, then clearly it was not responsible for preventing typhus.

In GMAT-land, I can't remember seeing an assumption question in which two answer choices are assumptions upon which the argument depends, but one of them speaks more directly to the text/conclusion. If this is valid, and it is simply slipping my mind as to ever having seen such a question, surely this question is a 700+. I'd be interested to see if anyone has encountered a similar question. If so, then this is definitely a valid question, and a toughie :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1227 [1], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 19:18
ChrisLele wrote:

So I chose (D), because it most directly speaks to the evidence in the argument, "tetracycline in their food...'. However, I do not know whether this would be a valid GMAT question. (A) also provides a perfectly reasonable assumption on which the argument depends. If the tetracycline entered bodies after those bodies had been buried, then clearly it was not responsible for preventing typhus.

In GMAT-land, I can't remember seeing an assumption question in which two answer choices are assumptions upon which the argument depends, but one of them speaks more directly to the text/conclusion. If this is valid, and it is simply slipping my mind as to ever having seen such a question, surely this question is a 700+. I'd be interested to see if anyone has encountered a similar question. If so, then this is definitely a valid question, and a toughie :).

ChrisLele
The conclusion of this argument is "Tetracycline in their food probably explains the low incidence of typhus among ancient Nubians" as in the last sentence. This means that author expects food to be a reason for presence of Tetracycline. I understand that presence of tetracycline can be linked a defender kind of assumption, but we also know that tetracycline has always been there in Nubian soil, making me to go away from A, and the conclusion here should defend the low incidence of typhus( and not the presence of tetracycline on skeletons).
Let me know if this sounds logical or even if there is some flaw here. :roll:

The source of this question is a CR document from a gmatclub member. It says the question is from gmatclub or MGMAT. Just hoping for this to be true now :)
gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html#p840353

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 10:00
IMO D

Because on negating A we get. The tetracycline deposits did form after the bodies were buried (Nothing told about scenario before bodies were buried). this implies two statements.
1) Tetracycline formed only after bodies were buried
2) Tetracycline formed both before and after bodies were buried

1 inverses the conclusion but 2nd does not inverse the conclusion.

Hence D

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 24

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 18:18
I am questioning the source of this question, because BTG http://www.beatthegmat.com/nubians-t5138.html has the same question but one different answer choice.

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 2405

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 06:20
This is a valid GMAT question. However, if the gmat gives such a question, it will not include both choices A and D in the same question, because both are correct.

The same question has been asked, but in place of choice (A), a different choice has been stated. See here:
the-ancient-nubians-inhabited-an-area-in-which-typhus-occurs-44937.html

Again, in this question, both choice A and D are correct.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 742

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 17:45
It was a tricky question!, but a good one. I choose A at the beginning but I was wrong. Reading carefully the conclusion and the premises that support D makes more sense.
First of all this is a causal argument:
Conc: Tetra in food --> probably explains low incidence of Typhus
P1: Skeletons of N show deposits of Tetra (antibiotic produced by a bacteria in N's soil)
P2: Bacteria can flourish on the dried grain used for making N diet: beer and bread.
P3: N inhabited an area with typhus, yet surprisingly few of their skeletons show evidence of this disease

Pre-thinking:
For a causal argument to be true:
-No other causes provoke the effect
-The effect doesn't cause the "cause"
-The cause happened before the effect.

Option A) The tetracycline deposits did not form after the bodies were buried. Incorrect
This option is apparently aligned with the latter one (sequence of events); however, option A doesn't talk about the real cause mentioned in the conclusion and supported by premises: Tetra in food. We know (from premises) that Tetra was indeed present in N's diet. So this is a real fact. Option a provides irrelevant information because even if Tetra deposits formed after the bodies were buried, the few evidence of the disease in the skeletons could or could have not happened because of Tetra in food.

Option D) Tetracycline is not rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer. Correct
If the Tetra in food had loose its properties as an antibiotic after it was processed to beer and bread, It would have been ineffective to prevent the disease. So the few evidence of the disease in the skeletons would have been attributed to other causes.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 43

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 02:51
joshnsit wrote:

B. The diseases other than typhus to which the ancient Nubians were exposed would not be affected by tetracycline.
D. Tetracycline is not rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.
E. Bread and beer were the only foods eaten by the ancient Nubians which could have contained tetracycline.

Facts: few of the skeletons of Nubians show the usual evidence of the disease typhus even though they inhabited an area in which typhus occurred,. But their skeletons show deposits of tetracycline, an antibiotic produced by a bacterium common in Nubian soil. This bacterium can flourish on the dried grain used for making two staples of the Nubian diet, beer and bread.

Missing Information:There is no alternate explanation to what is shown in bold or it is not falsified, such as Tetracycline being rendered ineffective as an antibiotic by exposure to the process involved in making bread and beer.

Conclusion:Thus, tetracycline in their food probably explains the low incidence of typhus among ancient Nubians.

Choice D is the best match for the missing information.

Choice A seems very close. To eliminate one of the two, we have to focus on the reason for the conclusion. It is shown in bold. It means that the author believes that tetracycline was their in their food and this would eliminate A because choice A is more a premise. So actually attacking author's argument is showing tetracycline in the food is not responsible for the low incidence of the disease.
So the assumption of D saying that the tetracycline in the food is effective, is required.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 517 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 06:17
The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet surprisingly few of their
skeletons show the usual evidence of this disease. The skeletons do show deposits of
tetracycline, an antibiotic produced by a bacterium common in Nubian soil. This bacterium
can flourish on the dried grain used for making two staples of the Nubian diet, beer and
bread. Thus, tetracycline in their food probably explains the low incidence of typhus among
ancient Nubians.

B. The diseases other than typhus to which the ancient Nubians were exposed would not be
affected by tetracycline.
D. Nubian grain became contaminated with tetracycline-producing bacteria prior to being
harvested.
E. Bread and beer were the only foods eaten by the ancient Nubians which could have contained
tetracycline.

Regards ,

Last edited by broall on 12 Sep 2017, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 25

Re: The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2017, 06:17

The ancient Nubians inhabited an area in which typhus occurred, yet su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap