GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 07:47

R1 Decisions:

Michigan Ross Chat (US calls are expected today)  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  (Calls expected to start at 7am PST; Applicants from Asia will hear first)


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     06:00 PM PST

     07:00 PM PST

    Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

     December 17, 2018

     December 17, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1391
The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 May 2018, 08:06
1
9
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:04) correct 44% (01:20) wrong based on 339 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because she suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting.


(A) quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting

(B) quota, having no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting

(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(E) quota, not one that reflected that minority hiring and eventual promotion was a commitment


I chose D, but the OA is C. Can someone please explain why? I didn't choose C because I thought it's missing the relative pronoun "that." How come option C is not written this way:

for option c: quota and (that it) did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

why is option C not written this way? cause i don't see how option C makes sense the way it is written. help!

Originally posted by tarek99 on 15 Mar 2008, 10:29.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 May 2018, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 398
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2008, 11:12
I got C for parallelism.
I think the presence of 'that it' would be redundant here.
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1391
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2008, 12:55
then how come there are many other examples of question sentences that would repeat "that it", but is considered redundant in this question? Isn't it considered parallel to repeat relative pronouns in order to secure clarity?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 245
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2008, 16:26
2
1
for option c: quota and (that it) did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

I think that is not required above because it is a single clause. What you say would have been correct for the following.

for option c: quota,(comma) and that it did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion.

In the above two ICs are joined using "and" and we need a clear pronoun in the second sentense.

Well .... a example I can make out
He went back to home and slept.
He went back to home, and he slept.

:wall ..... is my explanation that bad :)
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 09:20
OA is C. However I dont understand why there are 2 clasues:
- suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota
- did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

For me the second can be like a consequence of the first so the subordinate clause in D sounds perfect for me.

Could anybody explain this point?

Thanks in advance.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Posts: 136
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 15:09
noboru wrote:
OA is C. However I dont understand why there are 2 clasues:
- suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota
- did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

For me the second can be like a consequence of the first so the subordinate clause in D sounds perfect for me.

Could anybody explain this point?

Thanks in advance.


C is correct for parallelism and meaning. You can say ...she suspected it...and did not reflect in one sentence referring back to the original point however when you use D its contruction ",...not reflecting" what is not reflecting? the law firms choice or her suspicion? "not reflecting" cannot modify all that comes before it thats why you need to use 2 clauses here. Hope it makes sense.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4568
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2010, 09:23
I looked at it this way. The word order in Choice A, B, D and E, with the modifier phrase touching the noun quota, with or without comma, gives the feeling the that it is the quota that is not having the commitment blah blah rather than the law firm. C is the only one that corrects this fatal error by inserting the conjunction ‘and’. This indeed breaks the tyranny of the modifier issue.Thus C is the answer. I couldn’t cut shorter than this.
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 330
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2010, 11:05
3
Good discussion, all - a quick word on D:

When you're using a present-tense verb, participial modifier (like "not reflecting..." here), it generally (or at least often) modifies the subject of the sentence. Here, that would be illogical - "not reflecting" doesn't describe the attorney or his/her decision, so D at best introduces some confusion as to the referent of the modifier (which should correspond to the quota).

Because C leaves no such room for doubt, it's correct.
_________________

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2010, 12:50
I cannot agree with that. "not reflecting" could be an adverbial modifier modifying the whole previous clause.
What do you think on that?

thanks in advance!

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Good discussion, all - a quick word on D:

When you're using a present-tense verb, participial modifier (like "not reflecting..." here), it generally (or at least often) modifies the subject of the sentence. Here, that would be illogical - "not reflecting" doesn't describe the attorney or his/her decision, so D at best introduces some confusion as to the referent of the modifier (which should correspond to the quota).

Because C leaves no such room for doubt, it's correct.

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 330
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2010, 14:08
1
Hey noburu,

Good point - and, actually, I think that gets to the crux of the issue here. We can disagree on the function of that modifier: I say that it could very well modify the attorney, you can claim that it's supposed to modify the clause immediately prior. The point is that there is room for debate - honestly, I can't say that either of is right or wrong, which is why D is incorrect. Because it leaves that ambiguity, it's not an effective modifier (particularly when compared to C, which leaves no room for doubt).
_________________

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 180
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 11:38
Couldn't you also argue that the words "not reflecting" is modifying quota, but should be modifying offer?

noboru wrote:
ok, i agree, i see your point.

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey noburu,

Good point - and, actually, I think that gets to the crux of the issue here. We can disagree on the function of that modifier: I say that it could very well modify the attorney, you can claim that it's supposed to modify the clause immediately prior. The point is that there is room for debate - honestly, I can't say that either of is right or wrong, which is why D is incorrect. Because it leaves that ambiguity, it's not an effective modifier (particularly when compared to C, which leaves no room for doubt).
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 23
Location: Boston
Schools: Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 11:49
I think C is the answer due to parallelism and proper sentence structure
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1032
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2010, 11:52
I could argue that the modifier "not reflecting" can modify "offer", "quota", "attorney" (which would not make any sense) or "the whole previous clause"; and because of that, I have learned that there is ambiguity and therefore is wrong.

And I agree that it should modify offer.

USCTrojan2006 wrote:
Couldn't you also argue that the words "not reflecting" is modifying quota, but should be modifying offer?

noboru wrote:
ok, i agree, i see your point.

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey noburu,

Good point - and, actually, I think that gets to the crux of the issue here. We can disagree on the function of that modifier: I say that it could very well modify the attorney, you can claim that it's supposed to modify the clause immediately prior. The point is that there is room for debate - honestly, I can't say that either of is right or wrong, which is why D is incorrect. Because it leaves that ambiguity, it's not an effective modifier (particularly when compared to C, which leaves no room for doubt).

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Posts: 20
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
The attorney turned down the law firm's offer of a position  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2013, 09:54
1
The attorney turned down the law firm's offer of a position because she suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting .
(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

can u please shed more light on how d is wrong here.

thanks in advance,

keerthi
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2773
Re: VERBING VS VERB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2013, 20:53
1
keerthisaran wrote:
The attorney turned down the law firm's offer of a position because she suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting .
(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

can u please shed more light on how d is wrong here.

thanks in advance,

keerthi


Hi Keerthi,

In choice C, the comma + verb-ing modifier "not reflecting" modifies the preceding clause. So either this modifier will present additional information about the how aspect of the verb or will present the result of the action in the preceding clause.

If it presents the how aspect of the verb in the preceding clause, then this modification does not make sense to say that the offer was meant by not reflecting a commitment.

If this modifier presents the result of the preceding clause then the sentence will mean that the offer was meant resulting into not reflecting the commitment. In both cases the modification is illogical.

Choice D on the other hand presents the characteristics of the offer in parallel structure - the verbs and makes complete sense.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 861
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 23:27
why A is wrong.

"with..." is correct because it is adverbial here.

pls help
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Posts: 51
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 08:01
1
A: Quota with no commitment -- it is not quota without commitment but the position is with no commitment.
B: having no commitment -- Clause, verb+ing shows the cause and effect relationship or describes the clause. Here it is neither cause-effect nor description rather the continuation of what has been said before.
D: Out
E: Out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 402
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 09:15
i think d is more logic than c.
not reflecting is resulf of is meant to fil...

so d, not c is correct
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Feb 2015
Posts: 119
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 10:15
(A) quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting
--> minority hiring and eventually promoting is wrong. Promotion should be the right word.

(B) quota, having no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting
--> Same as A

(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion
--> Correct. minority hiring and eventual promotion is the correct usage.

(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion
--> reflecting is not a consequence of quota. This sentence seems saying this.

(E) quota, not one that reflected that minority hiring and eventual promotion was a commitment
--> Wordy

=============Hit +1 Kudos if that helped==================
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Mar 2018
Posts: 32
Location: Iran (Islamic Republic of)
GPA: 3.64
WE: Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 08:36
egmat wrote:
keerthisaran wrote:
The attorney turned down the law firm's offer of a position because she suspected that it was meant merely to fill an affirmative action quota with no commitment to minority hiring and eventually promoting .
(C) quota and did not reflect a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

(D) quota, not reflecting a commitment to minority hiring and eventual promotion

can u please shed more light on how d is wrong here.

thanks in advance,

keerthi


Hi Keerthi,

In choice C, the comma + verb-ing modifier "not reflecting" modifies the preceding clause. So either this modifier will present additional information about the how aspect of the verb or will present the result of the action in the preceding clause.

If it presents the how aspect of the verb in the preceding clause, then this modification does not make sense to say that the offer was meant by not reflecting a commitment.

If this modifier presents the result of the preceding clause then the sentence will mean that the offer was meant resulting into not reflecting the commitment. In both cases the modification is illogical.

Choice D on the other hand presents the characteristics of the offer in parallel structure - the verbs and makes complete sense.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Dear egmat
Thanks for explanation.
Please notice that you misplaced options C & D among answer choices!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 08:36

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The attorney turned down the law firm’s offer of a position because sh

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.